Turntable set up

Username: Musicrover

Rosville, Ca

Post Number: 8
Turntable set up. I am setting up a Music Hall MMF5. When playing an lp I lose one channel (right side) after two or three songs. When I lift the tonearm and re-lower it the sound in both channels are back. Thank you for assistance.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9162

It would appear there is an open circuit at some point in the movement of the arm. Is any of this new equipment?

Rosville, Ca

Post Number: 9
Yes, the turntable is new.

Rosville, Ca

Post Number: 10
Let me be more specific, The whole unit is new.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9167

The best advice I can give is to call your dealer and ask for their solution. After only three weeks, the problem should be something they would deal with.

Otherwise you will have to do troubleshooting by eliminating the possibilities. The first suggestion would be to swap the connections at the input to the receiver(?). Left for right and right for left. Then you want to know if the problem stays in the same connector or moves with the swap. If it stays with the same connector (red conenctor or white connector), you replace the connections to their proper location. You then move back toward the table and swap the connections at each location until you've swapped the connectors at the cartridge pins. When the swap finally causes the problem to move, you have narowed down the possibilites for where the problem can exist.

Username: Rabbitgrey

PORTO, PORTO PORTUGAL

Post Number: 3
Jan Vigne - Could you please let me know if a glass platter or the fibreboard one makes any "difference" when we are talking about a REGA P2 or P3? Thanks for your time.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9180

No, I can't since I don't know whether you can hear the difference through your system. Is there a difference? Yes, I believe so. The material the disc rests upon and transfers energy to will affect the sound quality. Whether your system is sufficiently neutral to allow the difference to be heard and whether you hearing has progressed to the point where you can easily pick out the difference is another matter that I can't address. I would suggest you purchase the better platter and eliminate the posssibility of wondering whether you made a mistake as your listening skills improve.

Username: Rabbitgrey

PORTO, PORTO PORTUGAL

Post Number: 4
The System it's a Nad 352CT + Rega P2 + Dali Ikon 2.
Not expensive w/ VERY GOOD sound quality for the budget.
But I was told Rega P2 it will better w/ a glass platter.
That's why I asked. Thanks again.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us