Bose

Username: Sketchartist

Post Number: 2
Hear me out here, I know everyone thinks Bose is one the worst pseudo-audiophile manufacturers out there, but I want to know if anyone has had or heard a pair of old Bose speakers. Pre Acoustimass and the tiny cube speakers. I happen to be running an old pair of 201 Series II, circa 1980's, and (Don't flame me for this, please.) I don't think they're all that bad.

Silver Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 849
If you don't think they're all that bad then that's really all that matters isn't it?

Even if some one else has heard them and doesn't care for them is that going to change your opinion?

And if someone has heard them and thinks they are wonderful, what's that going to do - make you feel good about owning them?

Sorry Darryl, but that's the thing with opinions - they differ greatly.

Bronze Member
Username: Serniter

Piscataway, New Jersey USA

Post Number: 64
As My Rantz said, it doesnt matter what anyone else thinks! I have nothing for or against Bose. I know the products they make, their advantages and disadvantages. If at any time I find the need to use such a product, I will. Irrespective of what anyone else says or thinks. In your room, with the music you play, if the 201s sound good, you've accomplished your goal. Its possible to go crazy with this stuff, spend several years trying out various equipment in different settings to try and find audio 'nirvana'. Else, you could stay happy with your present system, and enjoy music. lol.

Bronze Member
Username: Divin11112000

Michigan

Post Number: 98
Darryl
My uncle uses an acoustimass system w/a velodyne sub and is planning on using some 301's instead of the acoustimass surrounds. He thinks the setup is great I think it's crap. To each their own.
The one thing that I can say about it though is that it's the best FREE system that i've heard. He paid nothing for any of the speakers (other than the sub). So the price is right therefore he's unwilling to change.

My Rantz is right though.... don't let someone else's opinion change yours. You can listen and maybe it'll open doors for you, but if your happy who cares what someone else feels about it. If you were asking about buying the speakers then that is a different story, we'd encourage you to listen to many other brands BEFORE purchasing. So unless your looking to upgrade soon, i'd just sit back and enjoy what you have.

I own Klipsch reference speakers, and if you look around on here you will read that they are too "bright". Frankly I don't find them to be too "bright", and if i followed opinions to the tee i'd be switching them out for something else eventhough they sound great to me.

Username: Sketchartist

Post Number: 3
I know opinions greatly differ, but I suppose my original topic got lost within the post. I was curious as to other people's opinions of the old Bose speakers.

Silver Member
Username: Stefanom

Silver Spring, MD United States

Post Number: 160
New or old, Bose isn't a particularly "high fidelity" speaker. However, a lot of people do find them to have a pleasing sound (they didn't get to where they are today because everyone thought they sounded like sh*t, unlike Klipsch (j/k Chris), and one of the side effects of their sound is that they do tend to veil the inadequacies of cheap equipment upstream. However, I don't think you'll find too many people on this forum shouting their praises. They have a lot of flaws (build quality vrs price, various problems with using "direct/reflecting technology" although it does have some advantages as well, problems with their choice in tweeter), and in general Bose tends to come off as a bunch of pr*cks in the corporate world (various frivolous lawsuits, including suing over a negative review of their product), etc.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 4189
Paper tweeters for the masses.

Gold Member
Username: Timn8ter

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 1092
"Paper tweeters for the masses."

http://www.stereophile.com/standloudspeakers/0973fulton/
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums