Archive through August 24, 2006

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 3753
Ravi, you cannot hide behind the 'dunno' mask any longer.
You are a die hard phile(sans suit) with the wherewhithall to add and contribute to this forum with the best, hands down.
An absolute pleasure to read your posts, and here is hoping I get to read them as often as possible.
Sincerely,

Jamie

Silver Member
Username: Ravbains

MelbourneAustralia

Post Number: 232
Hi Nuck,

thanks, coming from you I take that as a real compliment.

Music really is a beautiful gift, so I guess all of us here are just en-raptured....

cheers
Rav

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8965

John, I'm curious about your curiosity. Are you still kicking about the idea that you should buy a SACD player? If so, I think the time has passed for all but the most devoted to recommend a new SACD player. (SACD's are now totally out of the shops in Dallas other than the few which couldn't be sent back and are mixed in with the Redbook CD's for those interested to seek out. I haven't met anyone who understands the language I speak when I inquire about DVD-A.) Or, are you simply entering new data for discussion regarding the confusing mess into which the audio industry and the music charlatans have placed themself and the consumer? If that is the case, what's new?

The only thing I see being promoted in the slightest are the BluRay's and HD-DVD. I think that should end in another few months when the consumer realizes their current TV won't show the highest resolution picture and they aren't prepared to buy another 65" set. Swapping source players is one thing, having the need for a new projection TV to keep up with the source material is quite another.

Long ago we agreed the quality of the disc is dependent upon the existence of people who care. That hasn't changed.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8966
This is from an email I received from Las Vegas Pro Audio concerning developments in the pro audio market; "With its all-discrete transistor circuitry, class "A" amplifiers, and seven release time constants that recall some of the audio world's most beloved compressors, the Daking FET II has proven ideal for any application Smith can think of."

Just wanted to show John that some people love their compressors.

Silver Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 713
"Play an SACD and record the analogue output using linear pulse code modulation at 44.1 kHz, 16-bit. Take the resulting CD, play it back, and compare its sound with the sound from the original SACD, played with the same player, through the same equipment, at the same volume.

Is there any difference?"

To what John? I can't envisage any difference to the cd layer on the SACD (hybrid) disc. Maybe this is why the cd layer on SACD's (on older recordings) sound much better than the original - remastered as it were. But the DSD playback still has it's differences as mentioned I believe.

Another comparison would be to use a player that converts DSD to PCM because of its bass management limitations - then you get a DVD-A version of the SACD. I don't see the point of this however.

And while the doomsayers suggest the death of SACD is approaching many companies are still forging ahead with new releases.

[From http://www.highfidelityreview.com/index.asp]

"HD World quotes David Chesky as saying that "This new series marks a strategic milestone for Chesky Records. We believe that Super Audio CD is a much superior music format to the compact disc and we intend to release all our music as hybrid Super Audio CDs in the future. From August 2007, Chesky Records will release all its music as Super Audio CDs."

Also, from your article about "the classical recording industry is in enough of a mess already" the LSO is doing their own SACD recordings. That article is aged no doubt.

BTW the moniker 'Zeus' is from SA-CD.net. The webmaster of that site I believe.

Nuck - point taken.

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 714
Also from highfidelity news.com

Availability:
"The SACD Surround Sound edition of Baby Cello by the London Cello Orchestra and the earlier Latin Cello and Cello Christmas Surround Sound SACDs are now available for purchase in music stores in Europe and the U.S. including Tower Records. Although I would note that the Tower Records folks seem confused on where to stock the SACD. At their Mountain View store in Silicon Valley, it was initially marked and stocked in the Childrens section and then later the word "Childrens" on the stickers were crossed out and changed to "Classical" when the SACD was moved to that part of the store! Clearly it's an SACD that appeals to multiple audiences."

Gold Member
Username: Larry_r

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1537
. . .and then there are those of us who unwillingly regress, sound-wise. Seems that my new Camry, which will be delivered mid-week, comes equipped with more bells and whistles than I thought. The sales-mope waxed eloquent about the sound system, which, frankly, I had not even considered.
"Your baby comes with more amps than you can ever want, and it'll blow you away!" That's really what he said. Some people DO talk that way!

Wellll - I thought I'd better find out what the heck he was talking about, so I went Online and read about the Toyota sound systems. Hmmm, I thought - I didn't realize I'd ordered this!

"This" being a JBL sound system with 400 watts of power, two sub-woofers and six other speakers throughout the car - a six-disc CD changer and all sorts of equalizer-stuff. And here I thought I'd get a nice AM-FM? Hah!

Sooooo - now I await the "arrival." From what a friend tells me (he got a new Camry last month) I'll get better sound IN the car than I do in my home. Sigh.

But John, Jan, et al - IT WILL NOT PLAY SACDs! Nope. Nada. Jest plain ole Redbook discs. BUT, and I say that with some confusion, it had a special jack SO THAT I CAN PLUG IN MY i-pod!!

Should I say "Yippee!" here? As I don't have, and will not be getting, an I-POD, I guess I may never know the joys of I-PODDing down the highway.

I, uh, will let y'all know what the danged system sounds like by week's end. And here I just wanted a nice radio. . . .

respectfully. . .LarryR

Gold Member

Post Number: 3756
Lar, so now u can rite with the udder dudes in car audio, u need a BIG sub, dude!

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8968

You're going to be getting way better sound in that baby than at home and you wannabitch'bout it not playing SACD's? Larry, you are just a greedy ol'phart who doesn't know when he has it way too good. Think about them 400 amps, two subs and all that eee-kal-izer stuff, then tell me you really need SACD's in the car. Boy, some people's kids!

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 715
Larry, you'd likely get that car confiscated around here with that sound system. I hope the nice salesman is throwing in a pair of ear plugs for Mer especially nows as y'all be getting into some rap to get them 400 watt babies fillin' the cockpit. :-)

Congrats on the new car. I hope you and Mer enjoy your opera trips much more from now on.

Gold Member
Username: John_a

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4477
Phew, a new car, and no iPod. Larry, learn love iPod! We have an old car, with a cassette player, no CD. I bought a cheap cassette-shaped object to put into the player, with a lead and a mini-jack, to wire up an iPod. Better sound than the radio. Good as you'd get from CD, given the speakers etc. which is not saying much, admittedly. BTW 1. iTrip (FM broadcast from your iPod to your car radio) is not yet legal over here. You've by-passed all this obsolete technology! BTW 2. RIP Elizabeth Schwartzkopf, aged 90. Her life and career intimately tied with sound recording.

Rav,

I agree with Nuck. You have established your credentials! The NAD 3020 is on the HiFi News "famous" list. You must be talking about around 1980. I had my first real system by about then, but I was a very late starter, long out of short trousers.

Jan, MR, and Rav; I'll post later on the SACD question, answering some points. Thanks for the comments. I'll do my best to respond.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4478
My Rantz,

What I suggesting is to play a straight SACD while recording the output in CD format. Then see if there is a clear difference between the sound from the resulting CD and the sound from the original SACD.

In my suggestion, the sounds are either different or they are the same.

If they are different, the CD cannot be better, because it is a recording of what is on the SACD, which is the reference.

If they are the same, there is no advantage in SACD compared with CD, for sound quality, because the CD reproduces everything that can be heard on an SACD.

I suppose, to be fair, one should record a CD output in DSD, too, and see what comes of that. If SACD is the superior medium, then they should sound the same. They should only sound different if SACD is worse that CD, introducing its own character into the CD sound.

The ideal, of course, is the record the same thing on SACD and CD, and commpare those. That was part of Project K622, as I understand it, plus LP for further comparison. The problem there is that the sounds may be different, and we get back to personal preference - there is no reference, except the original performance, which we cannot all witness.

Jan,

I'm curious about your curiosity. Are you still kicking about the idea that you should buy a SACD player?

Well, I notice increased penetration of SACD into sales of recordings of "classical" music, while DVD-A has pretty well dropped out.

This conclusion comes from web sites such as those My Rantz mentions, plus many independent labels are offering SACD versions of at least some of their new recordings.

More strikingly, now I am not too far from a few mega "Flagship" record stores, I notice the SACD logo more and more on the discs I browse. For the total discs on display, it is probably less than 5% SACD. But for new releases of new recordings, it must be more like 50%, all hybrids. The stores have stopped having a separate sections for SACD/DVD-A. SACD is now mixed in with everything else, all organised according to musical criteria. There are still one or two DVD-As if you look very hard, but I get the distinct impression they are on the way out.

This is very clear if I think back to my very rare visit to these stores back at the start of this thread, in May 2004.

Two weeks ago I asked Mrs A, who was out that way, to pick up a duplicate of a DVD-A, as a gift. She has a phone with e-mail and so I was even able to send her, in the store, the catalogue number etc. to show the sales assistant.

Mrs A came back with the SACD version. The assistant had looked up the DVD-A catalogue number and assured her that it had now been replaced by the SACD.

So, someone, somewhere in all this confusion is mistaken. I am just wondering who.

Dealers should be able to tell - I assume they can swap stuff around and listen. As I said before, the expert HiFi dealers I know seem unconvinced about the superiority of SACD, or, at the most, lukewarm.

Tony Faulkner's view of the triangle could well be right - each section (consumer; recording company; audio manufacturer) seems to think that the other two are both heading that way, so they should keep up.

That still does not mean the benefit of SACD is not real.

The only things keeping this concept in the air are the cheque book and the propaganda machine. For it to be a proper commercial success, the format(s) must make significant volume penetration beyond fashion-driven audiophile circles.

I suppose that means people like us.

So I ask what people think of SACD.

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 716
I knew exactly what you were stating and I wondered what the point was when a hybrid cd already demonstrates the difference between the CD version and the SACD version - which I think is really the point. Many of the modern recordings have the CD version copied from the DSD produced master - in fact Telarc, for one, have released some CD's produced with DSD mastering, Monty Alexander's 'Concrete Jungle' is a fine example.

"So I ask what people think of SACD."

Well maybe you should list the names of the people you'd like to answer so those who have (often) don't start getting some sort of complex John.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1538
Jan-Nuck-Rantz: Uh, yeah, maybe I am greedy, spoiled and perhaps even rotten! (grin) So hit me. . .please?

Hate to correct myself, but both the salesman and some Toyota copy said "dual sub woofers." Ain' the case. Dual Woofers over the trunk, but not true subs. Yah jest cain't b-leev anybody deez dayz. . .sigh.

So maybee I gotta get ah I-POD after all?????

John - I, too, am having a harder and harder time finding new and interesting SACDs. Nowhere here in Swampville - they just disappeared overnight. Hmm..

So, is SACD fading away slowly? Not if you believe the Online merchants - where I get all of mine, anyway. We'll see. . .

Too bad, because at least in Classical genre, the sound is - nearly always - vastly superior.

Getting my opera and Mozart ready for our Big Road Trip later this month - searching for possible alternate living sites, and The Big Nephew Wedding in Illinois. The CDs will help make the trip more enjoyable, fer shore!

Respectfully. . .LarryR

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4479
My Rantz,

Thanks. I see. "when a hybrid cd already demonstrates the difference between the CD version and the SACD version".

Well, does it? How do we know? And which disc? In which player?

I very nearly bought a SACD/CD hybrid and CD-only of the same recording a few months ago (one of those LSO Live recordings you mentiond - they are excellent value and good recordings though The Barbican acoustic is hard work). My intention was to compare the two CDs, and then also have the SACD for demo-ing. My good wife said she thought this was, er, well I forget the precise word. A waste of money, perhaps. I think I'll do it anyway. Her problem was with me buying both at the same time, I think.

As you say, My Rantz, we need to compare like with like. Therefore it seems to me that we can't just put a hybrid (SA)CD disc into one player and draw any general conclusion. The mixes and mastering may be different, we don't really know, and the player may be better at one format than the other, we don't know that, either.

The Krell review in HFN attempted a comparison, the (SA)CD player was supposed to be state-of the art for both formats, the rest of the gear was top quality, and the guy knows his stuff and had test equipment. He still did not arrive at any clear conclusion except that they were different, and it seemed to be on the discs.

The difference of opinion re SACD is out there; I have not imagined it.

And it includes people like us, as well as really skilled and professional recording and sound engineers.

I am just trying to imagine what would count as a true comparison, rigorously excluding smoke-n'-mirrors. Or the dog-and-pony act, as I think Jan once called it.

Way back, I had some of the same recordings on LP and CD. Still do, now I think of it. I was never convinced that CD gave better sound, but everyone else seemed to think so. I bought a CD player as CDs began to displace LPs in the shops.

That really was apples and oranges, in one sense, because the CD was more convenient and never wore out. This time, it is different. SACD has to be better sound quality than CD if the premium price is justified.

If not, it is all nonsense.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3758
I say we pimp Larr's ride.
Larry, that car is a good one, in fact a lifetimer. I have had a few Toyota's (old, like a '82 supra) and a couple of corollas, when other people cast them off.
Back them, a bit (ok a lot) of bondo went a long way. Never, ever did I get stranded with any of them.
Seeing as your new baby was built up my road in Cambridge, Ont. and the North American content is about 85% for that one, I like it. A lot.

Here is hoping you got a few bucks for the oldie(new brakes, you see) and Mer will ride in style, and so she should, putting up with you .
insert grin here.

Well done, sir, happy motoring, and I will drop into a dealer soon, just so I can hear the sound and have a better idea of what you have there.

Isn't it wonderful that autos have been given such good sound over the last decade as standard?

I did have a chance to listen in an older Lexus with Levinson sound. That car, folks, I could drive forever.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1539
Nuck: If you listen to the JBL pack, I think you'll really like what you hear. And the "standard" sound system with 160 watts and six speakers ain' zactly awful!

Now - John A is prompting me toward an iPod. Hmmm, I see they cost around 240 dollaros - and about the only time we'd use it would be on auto-trips. Wellll - Mer and I will twiddle around with the six-CD changer and see if that's enough, or if we'd like to use an iPod.

My biggest concern with the CD changer is leaving those discs in the unit when the car is parked in hot weather! Anybody have any experience with CDs left in hot cars? Scares me!!!

And yes, Nuck, the Lexus sound is, well "heavenly." Sigh. But if my ole Aunt E hadn't gone to her eternal rest, we wouldn't be able to afford even the Camry! (thank you, Aunt E!)

Respectfully. . .LarryR

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 717
John, the general concensus among the sacdophiles throughout various forums I've read is that, especially for the stereo only buffs, it takes a high end player to make the difference between CD and SACD worth the bother. And to those that do opt for the high end players it really is worth the bother.

And while many expouse the virtues of multi channel SACD, it seems to be the requirement for space for correct MC set-up and the cost of multi quality speakers that drives the stereo only school of thinking.

I tend to agree. With my gear, while the good SACD titles are hard to beat, it is the surround versions that make them more worthwhile to me. Without multi channel, I doubt I'd spend money on a player unless I could afford much higher end gear.

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 718
It seems DVD-A is alive and well at Aix records.

http://www.aixrecords.com/

On a visit to a local shopping center to purchase some new towels, I got that 'here we go again' look from my wife as my body veered into one of the record stores where I picked up another terrific CD bargain: Mary Stalling's Manhattan Moods - 1997 Concorde Records. I almost didn't purchase it because one of the tracks was Surrey with the Fringe On Top, but I had a quick listen and was instantly impressed. And in the band, Monty Alexander on the piano was the icing on an already delicious and well baked cake.

Though by no means my favourite from a wonderful tracklist, I have never heard a better version of Surrey with the Fringe On Top. Mary can certainly sing jazz.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3761
Hey, MR, it aint only the high-enders who espouse the virtues of 2 channel.
I had a somewhat decent 5 channel on the go(I think my profile is still there) nothing great but fully functional, and I found mysely more and more gravitating to the original recordings that I listen to, in stereo.
I find the 2 channel stuff to be compelling, particularly now, however the 5.1 has an allure which has a fullness all it's own.
The SACD in multi-channel is a creature of it's own, and Beatles releases are something to be enjoyed on their own.

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 719
I was relating to SACD Nuck where the 'philes' among the fans seem to favour 2 channel. I also enjoy stereo and while some SACD's have excellent two channel recordings, there are many CD's that come close to those (especially HDCD encoded) on my gear. These days I mostly listen to stereo, but when I play a good MC disc - well then I go to another place.

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 720
Larry, seems you're not alone with your critique of the DV-89, here's a very positive review:

http://www.audioenz.co.nz/2006/cambridge_dvd89.shtml

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4480
Thanks, guys.

Larry, I'm only half serious about the iPod. I don't own one myself. Family members are attached to theirs. Frequently.

All the best.

Silver Member
Username: Black_math

Post Number: 328
Larry,

Don't worry about a CD in the hot car.

If your car gets hot enough to melt a CD, your dashboard will have melted away along with the seals to your windows. I have never had a problems with CD's in hot (or cold) cars. It's been over 100 for a few weeks and my CD's play great.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8976

Yiminee! Doesn't anybody remember. Perfect sound ... forever!!! F-O-R-E-V-E-R !!! That includes 160° car interiors. Forever is forever. Not until the dashboard melts. Not until small children and animals die from being left in that same interior! Not until your tires melt into the pavement. Forever! It will sound just as good after it's been left in the car as it did before it was left in the car. Forever and ever, amen! Don't make us repeat this again. OK?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3781
I heard a bit of an interview with Alice Cooper today on the passing of Sid.
Seems the Cooper band roomed a house together with Floyd in the late 60's.
Alice said while he would sit down and watch tv, Sid wound watch a box of corn flakes. Like for hours.

Gold Member
Username: Rick_b

Orlando, FL

Post Number: 1408
Forever.

Strange concept.

Question.

When the star known as our sun finally implodes, what's going to happen to the perfect sound forever?

Not to mention the cockroaches.

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 725
What's wrong with that - I listen to Rice Bubbles.

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 726
It will be eaten by the black hole. As will the roaches.

Gold Member
Username: Rick_b

Orlando, FL

Post Number: 1409
So someone will have roaches with perfect sound forever, time traveling through a different dimension? Or do we leave out the forever part?

Anyone?

Anyone?

Bueller?

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8979

Forever is forever. It's in the ad.

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 727
Rickster, unlike the literal definintion, perfect is, of course, a subjective term in reality, like when my wife has a blooper moment and says, "You're not the only perfect person, you know!"

To which I reply, "What? You're kidding me!"

And as for "forever" - well, I doubt I'll be perfect forever.

So maybe perfect sound forever can be so - though I imagine "perfection" may go through various changes and possibly not for the better. Then again, in any given moment in the endless realm of time, who will be the judge of what sound is perfect?

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 729
Well from a thread on that other forum (the one edster likes) it seems perfect on't be perfect forever.

DVD Albums are coming:

http://online.wsj.com/public/article/SB115465756406526611-G3hMSIYzgiQUOgliXOTUgZ 2tu38_20070803.html

Here we go again!

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4485
If I remember correctly, the slogan was "Perfect sound that lasts forever".

So it is the sound that is immortal, not the disc. The disc can be part of this muddy vesture of decay without infringing advertising standards. The disc is a mere carrier of perfect sound. Perhaps CD was the first medium to carry the music of the spheres, or something.

Thanks for "DVD Albums", My Rantz. It looks much like DVD-A/DVD-V, copy protected, plus .aac files to transfer to a computer or iPod. There will be a limited number of transfers, I am sure, just like downloads from iTunes music store. That will be the main point.

Interesting if Warner can do some deal with Apple.

CD is still a good, reliable, and inexpensive way of storing audio files. If you have the original in some form, you can choose your own resolution. I have Quicktime Pro. If you record in "Device Native" it will export to files in numerous formats and resolutions, including PCM stereo at up to 192 kHz and up to 32-bit. You'd probably only get five minutes on a CD-R at that resolution, but it's your choice.

A whole "album" from the iTunes music store, compared with a CD, is

a. more expensive
b. worse for sound quality
c. copy-protected

And you can make an iTunes "Album" from a CD, anyway, if you want, while choosing you own format, resolution etc.

This whole DRM issue continues to irritate me, but I suppose we've beaten that topic to death, too.

Copy protection can probably only be introduced by stealth. It is hardly a selling point, and consumers mostly do not take kindly to be told they are crooks whose choice must curtailed accordingly.

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 730
Why the heck they don't do what some are doing now - a DVD-A with Hi-res surround and stereo plus video content (if they must) and a separate cd either standard or HDCD (preferably). This works for everyone - why is it so darn hard to get right?

And of course hybrid SACD's.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4489
I do not think it is hard to get right, My Rantz, not technically. It is about marketing and "digital rights management".

As time passes, and sales increase, I think iTunes is the way things are going, for better or worse.

I recommend iPod to Larry partly on the basis of "Better the devil you know...."

Apple Teams Up With Ford, General Motors & Mazda To Deliver Seamless iPod Integration "Over 70 Percent of New Automobiles in US Will Offer iPod Integration in 2007.... "

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 731
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Sorry John, but Ipoders and MP3'ers will be the downfall of quality music playback - I know, I know, you can rip cd quality and blah, blah, etc - but, in the end who will do that? How many will do that? Convenience will win because we are too lazy to carry a little case. Be strong, make a stand against 2nd rate sound, throw the MP3 players and Ipods away. Do not download music. Don't give in to kids. Tell 'em who's the boss. The next generation will not benefit from quality audio. Music will die. When music dies, so too will the human race. Life won't be worth living. Suicide will become epidemic and then the apocalypse.

All because of convenient music transport. Ban it all!

:-)

Bronze Member
Username: Mike3

Lewisville, Tx USA

Post Number: 78
MR,

Does that mean CDs could cost $35 to $45 US once they're re-mastered such as vinyl does today?

Then we need to use the electric bill and gasoline costs as rationale to petition our governments to assign tariffs to any compression used for music reproduction. Sort of like a breast implant tax.

That or become museum curators so that we can still play vinyl.

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 733
Well, I'm sure the price of CD's will rise as download society grows.

And I am against breast implant tax Michael.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4491
Absolutely, My Rantz. It's the thin end of the wedge. If I could draw, I'd do the horsemen of the apocalypse wearing white earbuds.

Or the silhouette of the grim reaper with scythe, grooving away, as in one of the iPod ads.

I think CDs will come down in price as the download society grows. It is supply and demand.

We recently bought a CD "bookcase". It is about 3' wide and 5' tall, and has ten shelves. I think it would hold about 800 CDs in jewel cases.

That's about 500 gigabytes.

So the whole lot could go on one storage device (hard disc) costing say US $500. That's in native file format. Lossless packing would mean 250 gigabytes, say US$250. The bookcase itself cost about $200.

It would save some space. I'd miss the cover artwork and the booklets.

I've got sample of about 30 CDs in Apple Lossless on a LaCie storage device at work. iTunes lets me arrange the contents how I wish. Playlists do not have to correspond to tracks or whole CDs.

It sounds OK but I almost never use it. Don't get the time. I'd have to get one at home.

The sound from an iPod or computer audio out is limited by the quality of the DAC, I think.

Here is a promised solution; Stereo-link USB DAC.

The specs look good. Wonder how it compares with a Rega Apollo, for example?

Anyway, if everyone went that way, it would still be good to buy new music on CD, from a real record store, which you could browse. You also have a permanent back-up, plus the booklet etc.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1540
Thanks to Ben James for the "hot CD" advice. It was of great concern to me.

Welll - I've got the car and the sound system and it all works, uh, "sorta." Car has transmission troubles, and the instrument lights really need to be re-done. then, there's the sound system.

I think somebody must be kidding me regarding the FM radio, for it sounds like it came from Wal-Mart. But, he asks, why not just slip in some CDs? Aha! that's the rub. . .really. Installing the CDs the first time was a bit scary, but got done without incident. I thought. . .

When time came to remove the CDs, I got quite a jolt. For every one of them had small scratches, and fine blobs and smears of some kind of grease. Double sigh.

Dealer said "scratches are impossible" in the player. OK, so I put them on before I put them in the player? Rightttttt. . .

dealer had some mope swope around with some kind of cleaner-wand, and the grease diminished, but still appeared on the discs.

So, I thought, maybe if I just put in a "trash" CD and do an in-and-out routine for a few times the grease will subside?
Nope. . .so back to the dealer will go the car.

The CD sound, BTW, is vastly superior to the FM sound, and I can easily live with that - but NOT scratched and, uh, "greased" CDs! Am working my way through this, guyz. . .

Sigh. . . . .LarryR

Bronze Member
Username: Pointe

OttawaCanada

Post Number: 41
Look farther forward folks. Imagine a world where iTunes offers you greater fidelity than CDs or even SACDs. Solid medium like discs will become obsolete, just as floppies have. What do we use instead? USB keys, sending docs through networks, email etc.

Bill Gates' ideal world would be one step beyond iTunes. I think he would rather that we pay to play, instead of pay to own. You would never actually house the music yourself, you would pay to play it over bandwidth and pay 32 cents for the experience.

People will go for that when it offers them something they can't get from other means, ie, higher fidelity.

We can dream, can't we?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3788
John, that device seems particulary akin to the creative Labs digital sound card I will order, outputting to the DAC of the Classe.
I wonder how they would compare?

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 735
Larry - the joys of buying a new car. Personally, I like near new as usually the bugs have been ironed out, though one must be careful they haven't been flattened out. Hope it all gets fixed to your satisfaction.

Geoff, looking forward scares the heck out of me. But, in the audio world, I'd just be happy if they stuck with what we have now (formats and components), and improved and expanded on that. But, I suppose I too may be branded a dinosaur for thinking this way.

John, we too have been looking for more furniture to stack our ever increasing music and movie library. The stuff costs a fortune and with so little aesthetic value at that - especially in the audio stores. I'm thinking custom made eventually.

Bronze Member
Username: Jazzwannabe

Post Number: 22
Larry,

Congrats on the new car. Enjoy the drive. And the sound system, too!

Don

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 736
Picked up a 2006 CD by Eric Burdon - "Soul of a Man". This old leader of the Animals is a mature version of what we heard in the sixties. After recently purchasing a remastered 'best of' CD of E.B. and the Animals and thoroughly enjoyed its nostalgia value, I bought this new one without reading any review or sample listening - and well - very impressive to say the least!

Our music tastes lately have been mostly jazz, and blues with a little easy rock thrown in here and there (Mark Knopfler, Steely Dan/Fagan, 10CC, etc, so I was a little concerned about how Mrs Rantz would take to this new E.B. CD, as a couple of you know she can do without any distress in her life for a while. I gave the volume knob a decent twist and suddenly Eric's voice just leapt from the B&W's and I was tempted to turn it down a few notches, but what the heck, after a moment or two, my wife was into it, her head was swaying and her toes were tapping and we were both back into the that good old groove. This kinda heavy/easy album of blues and rock (with one countryish track about that popular pres who was shot by Oswald) is simply superb - especially if you are an old sixties rock fan. The resolution is excellent, great heavy bass, and very clean highs, and while Eric's vocals have matured over the decades, it still has that unmistakable raw edge that we grew up with. Also talent such as Joe Sublett and Johnny Lee Schell and others add to the driving force of this album.

http://www.ericburdon.com/index.php?id=news

I'm not sure about John, but Larry this one's not for you. As for you others, it's well worth a listen.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4492
I remember "House of the rising sun"....

Gold Member

Post Number: 3793
Eric B. and WAR doing Low Rider.
I love that LA East Side sound with the clanging traps and high rolling tamp drums.
Wha wha wha wha wha, wha wha waa waa waa.

Low rider-dah ride a little lower.

Try that one on the kit, folks, it's a workout.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1541
Don: Thanks. . .glad you're still around!

Rantz - yeah, fewer and fewer things "are for me." sigh.

respectful-like. . . .LarryR

Bronze Member

Lewisville, Tx USA

Post Number: 84
MR - Will you consider copying your post into "Reference Quality Music Thread"?

I'm going vinyl shopping tomorrow in Denton, Tx, however I will pick up this CD while I'm out, thanks for the heads up.

Eric Burdon is looking a lot like David Gilmore, looks aren't the only thing they have in common.

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 738
Michael - done. Hope you like it.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4493
Old Dog attempts New Trick

I am currently downloading my first ever purchase from the iTunes Music Store.

W. A. MOZART
Symphonien
No. 39 · No. 40
No. 41 »Jupiter«
New York Philharmonic
Lorin Maazel
|D|D|D| 477 630-1 |G|HD|
DG Concerts
Live from Avery Fisher Hall
Only available as digital download

DG Concerts takes you right there.

Apart from raw curiosity, I am partly stung in to action by the general view that people who like "classical" are ancient technophobes who do not know a bit from a byte. My pop-downloading and iPod-listening children are the technophobes, not I.....!

I'll burn a CD-R, play it on the Rega Apollo etc., and report back.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3804
I am particularly interested in your opinion, JA.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4494
It's bad, Nuck.

A dead waste of £7.90. Plus two CD-R discs; the "Album" would not fit onto one.

First impression are not too bad. But when the music gets loud, or complicated, or both, there is this harsh, metallic, strident, brittle, chopped-up, scratchy, chalk-on-glass sort of quality.

Pain.

Larry I and agree there is a general problem with DG recordings.

This is DG squared.

Well, I suppose I learned something.

Apple has insisted that 128 kbps AAC is good enough. And I do think it beats MP3 by a considerable margin. I have copied some stuff from CD to computer at that resolution, and it sounded a bit better than this download, but still, basically, bad.

Each legally downloaded file arrives on your computer as "Protected AAC audio file" with a bit rate of 128 kbps and a sample rate of 44.100 kHz. I wonder if the protection further degrades the sound.

When you burn a CD from a playlist, you have several options, but the default it the obvious "Audio CD". The you get a ten-times bigger "AIFF Audio File" on the CD. That does not, of course, improve the sound, and I guess it is there so you can play the CD in any conventional player.

For example, Symphony 39, first movement, lasts 11 minutes 19 seconds. You get it as a 10.7 MB protected AAC audio file. It burns to CD as a 114.3 MB AIFF audio file.

I am told that the AIFF version is no longer copy protected. That means one could avoid the copy protection simply by re-ripping the CD into 128 kbps aac files. I wonder if the sound degrades still further. It could, because one would be going through a second round of lossy compression.

I wonder, also, what the prospects are for higher resolution iTunes. Surely they have thought of Apple Lossless. Perhaps it cannot be copy protected...?

Probably they have got the marker sussed and realise it's not worth going that way. It would not cost them much to give people the option, though.

One of their selling points is how much stuff you can get on an iPod. I suppose they calculate that most people don't care that much about sound quality, and increased quality would come at the expense of fewer "songs in your pocket". That would be about ten times fewer for downloads in CD format. Four or five for Apple Lossless. Perhaps the real problem there is that "lossless" formats are more of a risk from the copyright angle.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4495
Bottom line. There is nothing to fear. Not yet. As regards sound quality, iTunes is, at present, a load of junk.

It probably has the benefit that it is forcing down CD prices.

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 740
so, you tried treason and were punished severely for your wickedry, John.

:-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 3807
I still gotta go with the new pc and wav files to try.
I hate ipods, I hate studip download shite and I hate the rest of the 'quality' stuff that the man is trying to stuff up our butts.

However, the answer is laying out there, somewhere, as how to use our computers to store/sort/manage/deliver truly superior sound in a useable fashion.

I, my friends, will discover the best options and will pass the goods along. Unless I am Shanghai'd by a record company and sent into the bowels of a chinese laundry, never to be seen again.

Thank you, John.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4496
You're welcome, Nuck. All in the cause of knowledge.

The next test would be to rip a CD onto computer in native format and Apple Lossless, then burn it back again to CD in AIFF format, and see how the two CDs compare.

No time this week, however.

I do not see why files played from a magnetic storage device (a computer or external hard disc) have to sound different from files played from an optical disc. I would use an external DAC for the computer such as the one linked above on August 10. Then there are these "clock" and "jitter" issues which I admit I do not comprehend.

But it ought to be possible to get good sound from downloaded files, provided they are in a suitable format. iTunes could do it, in theory, but their present file format is miles away from "audiophile" quality.

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 742
John A

"I remember "House of the rising sun"...."

But I bet you didn't tell Mrs Allen :-)

HOTRS was every wannabe guitarist's first tune in the sixties I think. I know it was mine.

Now, about these Ipods. I handed over the money for my son to buy a refurbished 2gig Ipod Nano from Apple Aus for his approaching 30th birthday. He is doing an English teaching course and hopes to be off to Europe within the next couple of months. The teaching is his way of seening the world (or parts thereof) whilst being paid. He will be selling his computer, furniture and storing his audio gear (and other stuff) with us (as if we have the room) and will most likely purchase a laptop to take with him (that and the Ipod will help keep his sanity I hope). This is after attaining a commercial pilot's license, passing his commercial air transport exams, then while working in a pub, doing 3 yrs of I.T. by correspondence and putting off the 4th to do this. God, I wish he'd get a grip. Hopefully, this will get him out of his rut and do some good (might open some doors). Anyway, it seems this family has also entered into the download society after all my consternation.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4497
MR;- The song, not the bordello, of course! Among my first attempts on the guitar, too. I remember The Animals hit, and afterwards discovered many better versions. I think it was the Joan Baez one that helped turn me briefly onto "folk". It's been the ruin of many a poor man. Me, I came out stronger, I believe.

Good luck to your son. Sounds like he's getting the best education. Few families are left untouched by iPod these days. The best thing to do is probably rip CDs at higher that the default resolution. There is not much in the Music Store that you cannot also get on CD.

iTunes MS has sent me a reciept which includes a link where I can write a review of the download. What a strange new world.

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 743
Thanks John, yes there is nothing wrong with his education, just wish he could do something worthwhile with it. But long as he's happy and all that. It is a strange new world, of course made even stranger now with liquid bombs.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4499
Cheers, My Rantz. I am away from home at the moment. No long essays from me for while. All the best.

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 751
For your entertainment:

Here it goes!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pv5zWaTEVkI

Gold Member

Post Number: 3839
What an absolutely hilarious waste of time!
Thanks, MR.
A lot of those sites to be had,if only the time!
That one is the busiest in the world, 3x Google traffic I think I read, If this is any sample, no wonder why!
LOL!

How long did the blokes have to practise, I wonder?

Silver Member
Username: Sem

New York USA

Post Number: 614
So, it's finally come to this.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3844
Pick it up, Sem.
ah1 and ah2 and ah...

Bronze Member
Username: Jazzwannabe

Post Number: 24
LOL! Thanks, MR

I'll never use a treadmill the same way again! :-)

Don

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3514
I think it's fun...my wife enjoyed it as well. Thanks MR.

Silver Member
Username: Sem

New York USA

Post Number: 615
Well, inspired by the video, I tried something similar on my Tunturi elliptical last night. Guess I couldn't find my groove, since the results were less than I'd hoped for. There will be no video, thankfully.

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 752
Sem, I only thought about doing the same on our treadmill, but the thought only lasted a second. :-)

Cream - Royal Albert Hall

I know this DVD has been commented on a while back, but a price drop has finally enabled its addition to our DVD music library and after the first viewing/listen it automatically claims a very high rating in the stable. The full, wide screen video picture quality is very good, and the DTS 5.1 soundtrack is excellent (have not tried the PCM stereo as yet). There is no unnnatural use of surrounds just more typical of the ambient reflections one would most likely experience in the hall.

While Clapton's guitar prowess was at his usual incredible standard, my biggest surprise was that of Baker and Bruce. While age seems to have etched more lines and thinned the hair more on these two than on Eric, their talent however showed that these two are still very adept at their craft. Jack's singing was a little strained here and there, but he handled the bass with aplomb and did not fret the slightest playing the fretless axe, which to me shows he is a certainly a true bassist. Ginger's performance on the skins was entertaining also, especially his solo performance that gave Eric and Jack a substantial break from their duties. While some younger talented players may be able to fly those sticks around with a little more speed, Ginger's ability, especially for his age, was a truly wonderful and entertaining experience.

While we may differ here and there about formats, singers, and audio componentry, sometimes we should just reflect on how fortunate we are to live in a time when we have the technology to experience events like these in our homes. Compared to many great concerts we attended in our more youthful years, there may be something missing that heightened our senses, though after experiencing this type of performance one realises there is really nothing missing at all.

I only hope the reason the film makers showed performances taken from different nights wasn't because the band stuffed up on occassion for that would seem too impossible to consider after seeing this video. A 9 plus rating for sure.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3518
Agreed (pretty much all of it).

Gold Member

Post Number: 3866
Ginger was out of breath...so was I.

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1068
My Rantz, it is coincidental your bringing up the Cream DVD, since I finally got around to watching it last week. It is an entertaining experience, particularly the video which isn't plagued by those rapid camera changes that ruin most productions of this sort. Jack's bass playing was a revelation, mostly because I never paid much attention to it back in my Cream-listening days. His melodic bass is a fine counterpoint to the guitar. I always fugured Cream was a trio because Eric's genius eliminated any need for a second guitar player. But it was Bruce/Baker that really completed the whole package. The high point is "Badge", always a favorite of mine, and these old dudes did a fine job of it this time.

"sometimes we should just reflect on how fortunate we are to live in a time when we have the technology to experience events like these in our homes."
Exactly.

Yesterday, I was shopping in our local big-box sporting goods chain. I noticed a familiar fugure in the next isle looking at some jackets. Could it be him? Naa, couldn't be. After a couple more minutes I worked up enough nerve to speak: "Eric is that you....?" Clapton turned, smiled and nodded affirmatively. The best thing I could come up with was "We love ya." I turned and walked away. I will not fawn over celebrities, especially decent chaps who happen to be internationally famous guitar gods who are in my town trying to lead a normal life.

I don't know if it is common knowledge, but EC happened to marry a local girl some time ago. He now maintains a home for her and their two or three kids not more than 15 minutes from where I write this. For years the running "joke" has been somebody saying "I know where Clapton's house is, but I promised him I wouldn't tell."

I don't know how much time Clapton spends locally, but EC sightings aren't all that rare here. Last year my friend Bill, an (amateur) rock guitarist himself, spotted EC in the hardware isle of one of our Targets. Here's Eric Clapton, daughter in one hand and one of those big orange electrical extension cords in the other, in the middle of a Target. Bill and Eric's eyes meet and EC immediately knew he wes recognized. EC looks down at the daughter, then at the cord and shrugs. They both smile and Bill moves on.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3883
Fantastic, John!
That little bit is going to make my day.
I can't wait to tell it later today, and I won't be able to shop for extension cords again without looking for Clapton.(Odds are slim, but, hey who knows).

Thank you for that.

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1069
"(Odds are slim, but, hey who knows)"

Even though I knew he was around, I thought my chances of running into EC were nil. Made my day too.

Silver Member

Lewisville, Tx USA

Post Number: 102
Thanks for the story. Gives me even better feelings about Clapton, who I truly admire.

Even though Notre Dame is my favorite NCAA football school, I will give you a hearty "Go Buckeyes" for that read.

National Championship Game? Who know with the BCS being what it is and all.

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 755
Great story John S. Fancy seeing God - and in a sporting goods store.

Marvellous!

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4501
Nice one, John.

I think I'll get that DVD.

Thread: Cream - Royal Albert Hall

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 876
Great story. In my mind, it is always a problem when you run into these celebrities because they do want their privacy, yet when you see them you feel compelled to let them know how much you admire them and their work.

When I was in college at USC, I went with a couple of friends to the theater. Ingrid Bergman was in the audience, still looking quite beautiful even though I believe she was in her 60s. One of my friends had no problem going up to her to tell her how much we all admired her. Then he demanded the chance to kiss her and she agreed! We all got to peck the cheek of Ms. Bergman. She was very, very generous.

Silver Member
Username: Simplymcintosh

Post Number: 362
Hello Dawgs!

Today is a rare 'free time' day so thought I'd drop in to see the gang. :-)

JohnA, in referencing your Aug 10th post, I am interfacing my computer (Mac Mini w/ 250gb LaCie USB drive) with a stock Sqeezebox. The Squeezebox can be modified with "audiophile" quality caps and filters and whatnot to further improve the sound - although, out of the box, it sounds excellent. Apple Lossless played through the Squeezebox is very close to the quality of my NAD c541 cd player - in fact, since the c541 recently died, I would have to say the Squeezebox even exceeds the sound quality! ;)

The cool thing about the Sqeezebox is you have several options to improve the sound quality (and by this, I mean make it comparable if not better than a high quality player like the Apollo):

- custom mods done by companies like Boulder Cable or Red Wine Audio
- or, pair it with a high quality external DAC using the digital out

In my mind, this creates more versatility than using a USB-based DAC. For now, I'm just using the analog outs direct to the MA6200 (using fancy Parts Express IC's). I do plan to upgrade the power supply as I understand that is a big bang for the buck upgrade - at that point, I'll decide if I need to take it any further on the upgrade path. I love the versatility it brings to choosing albums, songs, playlists, random mixes etc. The biggest problem I have right now is only 50% of my CD's have been ripped and time is in limited supply for me lately.

So, I just spent the day with Lar & Mer. Let me say, Mer is sweet, engaging, funny, smart and personable while Lar is a dirty rotten scoundrel! LOL. Just kidding! They both are great conversationalists, excellent dinner companions and overall great folks! I'm glad to have gotten the opportunity to meet them. Wish I could meet the rest of you!

Cheers!
SM

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 756
Hawk

Always thought there was a bit of an old devil in you. Hope you got a photo of the occassion.

John A

Yes get that DVD. If not for anything else but for a little cultcha. :-)

Seriously, it is must for every child of the sixties. And everyone else.

SM

Feelings mutual. Great to hear from you. And every thing you say about Larry and Mer is right on - especially about Larry the dirty rotten scroundrel (I'm kidding too). I know this to be true even though I haven't met them face to face. Wonferful thoughtful people and not too different from most old dawgs here I would like to think.

Stay good. (You are being good aren't you SM?)

M.R.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4502
Thanks, SM.

Thanks, Hawk and MR.

Will return.

Silver Member

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 881
Rantz:

;)

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 758
An update for Cream - Royal Albert Hall

The two channel PCM sountrack is excellent also. My only complaint (a tiny one) is that Eric altered quite dramatically the lead solo in "Sunshine Of Your Love", although not my favourite track, that original solo has been with me since I first heard it.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4503
SimplyMacintosh,

Thanks. Interesting.

Stereophile: From the Editor's Desk: Daddy's Gotta Squeezebox, by John Atkinson.

I'd have to get an outboard DAC, and these are expensive. I currently have no digital audio input to my stereo system.

For computer and storage, I happen to have the same combination as you and John Atkinson. I made a folder "iTunes Music" on the La Cie and put an alias to that in the "Music" folder on the Mac mini. Works fine with Front Row.

Last week I saw a recording in progress and talked to the engineer and a couple of the musicians. Coincidentally the location was an Oxford College which Hawk remembers. They - Avie - make excellent CDs, recording in 24 bit 44.1 kHz using Sadie.

Silver Member

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 888
Brings back fond memories, John. I always remember how acoustically wonderful the chapels were at all of the colleges at Oxford. A lot on audio engineers I knew were intimidated by how lively the environment was in the college chapels, so you were talking to a real pro, unafraid of the challenge and knowing how much better the end result would be. Do you who the artists were? I would like to watch for the release of the recording.

Silver Member

Lewisville, Tx USA

Post Number: 103
John A.,

Nuck and I were communicating and he suggesting that since I used to single play LPs onto cassettes that I consider single play LP onto CD vis-a-vis PC/Burner. I am looking into options. I tried the local Guitar Center for ideas and that led me to this;

http://www.tascam.com/Products/dvra1000.html

I myself am trying to find a more affordable way to get there. Perhaps a Presonus Inspire 1394.

My biggest concern is when I did an A/B of the Digitally Remastered 30 Year Anniversary of DSOTM on both vinyl and CD there were differences in the vinyl that I do not want to lose by sourcing from the turntable to burning onto the CD. I already have a CD quality (actually SACD) DSOTM so my goal is vinyl quality on the CD.

Some source material sounds better on CD, some better on vinyl. I think it would be cool to carry my vinyl sound onto CD therefore preserving my vinyl. I doubt it would ever sound exaclty like the analog version, but my guitar instuctor said he did something like that and the result had a fatter sound on the CD sourced from the vinyl.

I suspect getting the exact sound may be a physical impossiblity (if not cost prohibitive).

Mike

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4505
Mike,

I don't know the answer, sorry. There are probably threads and forums on digital recording. I glance at the magazine "Sound and Sound" and fear to go there. Tascam is professional gear, and used by recording engineers, that's all I know.

Having said that, I find the £20/$30 upgrade from Apple Quicktime Player to Quicktime Pro appears to do almost anything. You can record "device native" and then export in various formats and resolutions. Except DSD of course - that will never happen. PCM to 32 bit 196 kHz if you want. The main issue then will be the quality of the ADC. For making digital transfers of LP I suppose you do not want to get into mixing, balancing, etc.

Hawk,

It was at Magdalen. I remember a thread many moons ago in which you said you'd been there. All I can recall is that there was about 50' of cable and a video link between the venue, the chapel, and the control room, a room the other side of the entrance to old quad. The monitors were Audio Physic. Probably the Yara Monitor. I talked to the recording engineer very briefly. For CD they prefer to record at 44.1 kHz in the first place rather than downmix.

The program material was fairly esoteric, but happens to be something I am into, anyway. My Rantz will get out his "cultcha" shotgun again, but here goes. Me, I see no problem with liking John Jenkins as well as Cream.

12 Fantasies for 6-part consort was recorded in Merton chapel in August 2005. They were recording the 5-part "follow-up" a year later, in Magdalen. I do not know when it will be released.

I bought their 6-part Jenkins CD from Blackwell's while I was there, but have not played it yet.

There are many recordings made in various College chapels, including that one, but it is mostly churchy choral stuff of which I know little.

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 763
My Rantz will get out his "cultcha" shotgun again, but here goes. Me, I see no problem with liking John Jenkins as well as Cream.

Nor do I see your liking John Jenkins as well as Cream, my friend. Why, I once adored scones and cream, though now that is a problem.

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 764
"Nor do I see your liking John Jenkins as well as Cream, my friend."

Was supposed to be: Nor do I see a problem in your liking John Jenkins as well as Cream, my friend.

This editing error has gone on long enough. The administrator here is well - not up to his required game.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1542
To all dawgs: blushing as I sit here tonight in the middle of nowhere, waiting for dawn so we can drive to the middle of somewhere or nowhere else. Sigh. OK - I read both SM and Rantz's comments - and I refuse to let go of my "rotten scoundrel" image! Worked hard to get that, y'all! (grin)
SM - Rantz - you're too nice. . .
Yes, SM, Mer and I had several "good times" over the past few days - and it's always great to actually meet Forum-mates in person. In SM's case, it was like being with old friends right from the start.
In case you don't know this, she is frighteningly intelligent, has a good eye for design and a good ear for music, has a house she's lovingly restoring, and is able to juggle five pieces of audio gear without dropping any! (OK, I lied about that)
Too bad we don't live closer. . .

Mer and I are "on the road" for two weeks, and the Camry runs smoothly and efficiently. Unfortunately, at highway speeds, the sound system is compromised by wind noise. Maybe Toyota can work on that? We'll see. . .

Anyway - greetings to all!!!!!

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9057

"Maybe Toyota can work on that?"

They have, Larry. It's called a Lexus.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4506
Greetings, Larry.

Lucky fellow. Everywhere is somewhere. Especially in the US.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3903
The best news is...wherever you go, there you are!

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4507
And if you don't know where you're going, you'll wind up someplace else.

Perhaps I should have written "Especially in N. America", Nuck.

However, I don't recall so many songs about places in Canada....

Gold Member

Post Number: 3908
Jesus, Bye, ya havn't heard Stompin Tom?

Most songs about Canada stay here. I am not sure why 'Sudbury Saturday Night, and 'The Hockey Song' aren't international hits. hehehe

Bronze Member
Username: Pointe

OttawaCanada

Post Number: 53
You probably didn't know that the David Lee Roth hit "Just like Paradise" actually refers to Paradise, Newfoundland.

The song rejoices about a simpler life, when one's only worries was whether the autumn sun would be stong enough to dry your cod for the the winter cellar...

...and trying to get with chicks who have nice cars

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4508
I confess that Stompin Tom is a name that has not cropped up frequently in conversation, Nuck. There is always much to learn.

A Canadian friend once told be a complicated joke about Newfoundland, Geoff.

The taxi driver said "Where to?" and the new arrival said "I want to have scrod".

The taxi driver, being an educated kind of guy, asked why he used the future perfect.

Or something like that.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3913
http://www.lyricsondemand.com/s/stompintomlyrics/theketchupsonglyrics.html

http://www.lyricsondemand.com/s/stompintomlyrics/thebugsonglyrics.html

The titles are wrong for some reason.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4509
Thanks, Nuck.