How good is the wharfedale powercube 8+

Silver Member
Username: James_the_god

Doncaster, South Yorkshire England

Post Number: 306
Posted this one in this section since nobody looks in the subwoofer section.
Please reply to this promptly, does anyone have experience with the powercube 8?
Im thinking of buying it but read a couple things on people saying the extension isnt that good and the sub is rather boomy.
Now my current sub is this:
http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Labs-Cambridge-SoundWorks-Computer/dp/B00000JDH5
It drives my wharfedale diamond 8.1s because im getting a cambridge audio azur 540a soon so as you can see its a pretty poor subwoofer.

Opinions from people who've heard the powercube?

Thanks

Bronze Member
Username: Nmytree

Post Number: 68
I own the Wharfedale Opus 2.

I'd stay away from the Powercube series. What you heard is accurate. Terrible sounding subs.

Loose, flabby and the on-board amps clips terribly. very nasty sounding.

The SW series is a HUGE improvement over the Powercubes. The SW series are very nice.

Silver Member

Post Number: 309
I was hoping you wouldnt say that, I had my heart set on the damn sub =(.
O well, looks like I'll be without a sub for 4 months or so at least.
Will the cambridge audio 540a be sufficient enough to drive my diamond 8.1s with enough bass if i turn the bass up?
Thanks

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 4151
Thts up to you JJ. Your ears count the most, not our words or opinions.

Silver Member

Post Number: 310
Very true.
Just found the polk audio psw10. How does this fair up? I looked at the sw150 from wharfedale and its £230! Way to pricey for me.
Its just the psw10 is American i think it could be hard to get in the UK.

Bronze Member
Username: Nmytree

Post Number: 69
Listen to the Powercubes yourself, like Nuck suggested.

This way you'll know firsthand how they sound.

Silver Member

Post Number: 311
They're discontinued, nowhere sells them anymore apart from one us website and in im UK. Its just theres one going on ebay soon :S I've only found ubid.com to sell that polk i mentioned. It's strange how theres absoulutely no reviews on the powercubes at all, and those comments in forums are as I said, people find them boomy, you said it yourself.
I'd only be using the sub for music btw.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 4153
JJ, the price oint you stated leaves very little wiggle room. Now as a music sub especially the room is little and none. IMHO, you must raise the ante or lower your expectations.Sorry, that's the way it looks from my seat here.
Hsu STF-1, minimum.

Username: Manc

Post Number: 9
Jarvis,

You can get quality subs direct from a company called BK Electronics. They make subs for some well known UK speaker manufacturers. They start from £150 so you will have to up your budget or grab one second hand. You can read up on them over at the AVForums UK. Just use the search engine. They also have classified sections where you can buy or make a request (buy off regular posters to be safe). Good company to deal with. Mines still giving sterling service :-)

Post Number: 10
Found it!

This one is the same as their Minotaur (see they make subs for Ruark). I think the guy has some connection with either BK or Ruark but anyway he's genuine with great feedback. Only thing is it doesn't come with a warranty I think.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ruark-Vita-50-Subwoofer-BRAND-NEW_W0QQitemZ120031413185QQi hZ002QQcategoryZ3275QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

And here's the link for BK. You get a 2 years warranty with BK though.

http://www.bkelec.com/HiFi/Sub_Woofers.htm

Silver Member

Post Number: 312
Hmm what to do, the minatour or the ruark. Why is the minotaur and the ruark the same thing?
Well the wharfedale is finishing in 7 minutes on ebay, but I'll be leaving that alone.
The ruark is about £20 cheaper, not much but it means something to me.

Silver Member

Post Number: 313
Think Im gonna go for the Ruark. It has low level (2 rca) and high level speakon? In the description it say to use high level for 'your own amp' but will this work with an amp with pre-outs or can I just use the low level? How would I connect the ruark to an integrated amp with pre-outs?
Thanks

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Well it boils down to two things the Minotaur comes in a range of finishes (custom ones too I believe) and the warranty for the extra outlay.

"Why is the minotaur and the ruark the same thing?"

I guess because it's more cost effective to design one sub than a different one for each brand.

You can use either high or low level with your Cambridge (instructions are included I think as are cables - you can download the manual from the BK site). Low level is easy enough just hook up the supplied RCA (phono) cables from the pre-outs of your amp to the subs corresponding RCA inputs and then set the levels by ear to match the output of your speakers. The high level is basically speaker connectors in one easy turn-click interface. It's a conveniance thing nothing else I believe. Try both to see which you prefer the sound of, if you notice any difference that is as some people don't.

Enjoy!

Silver Member

Post Number: 314
Thanks manc. I've been searching everywhere for a manual on that subwoofer, surprised i didnt think of the bk site!
I'll use the rca connections, reading the manual about low level has really confused me.
Glad to hear it will work though.
One last thing, is it a 2 rca to 1 rca cable I need or 2 rca to 2 rca?
Cheers

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Use a 2 rca to 2 rca cable, your sub will come with a decent quality cable if it's the same cable as the one supplied with BK subs, so no need to buy one. Ask the seller if it comes with a gold plated RCA cable. You can use 2 into 1 rca cable but really there's no need (they're pricier anyway) for the extra expense as the the sub will mix the two channels into one to feed its single amp and driver.

Also try the high level too you may find it sounds better. Trust me it's easy to hook up. You'll see, when the sub (new toy :-)) arrives.

Silver Member

Post Number: 315
6 months warranty for the Ruark actually, I think I'll stretch and go with the Minotaur since its 2 years warranty and the cherry colour will match my diamond 8.1s better.
Thanks for the help everyone!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Oh and if the sub fails BK will pick it up and return at their expense.

Enjoy!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us