I need help setting up!

Username: Caledonia_mission

Post Number: 1
Hi everybody.

I hooked up my record player to my boyfriend's stereo today so I could make a mixtape. Everything was great, except I couldn't hear at all. I checked the radio to see if I had plugged it in right, and the radio came in loud and clear. Then I remembered, oh yeah! I have to use a pre-amp with this stereo (I don't need one with my receiver). So, I found the pre-amp and I found an AV cord to plug it in with and I still have nothing.

Any advice?

Silver Member
Username: Mike3

Lewisville, Tx USA

Post Number: 168
Try a phone pre-stage. Google it online. Should find something for about $50. Otherwise a receiver or pre-amp which has a phone stage built in.

There are more expensive phone stages, Steelhead Manley for ~$8,000 for example. I just am providing you baseline suggestions.

Post Number: 2
I don't think that's the problem, since I've gotten this to work with the existing equiptment before. That's why I'm so perplexed...It worked in the old apartment, why doesn't it work here?!

Thanks for the suggestion, though :-)

Silver Member

Lewisville, Tx USA

Post Number: 170
Did you find the correct AV Cord? It should be RCA, usually one red / one white connector. Colors are not important as long as it's an RCA connector, not a digital cable.

I am of course assuming that the cord is to connect the pre-amp with the receiver as the turntable should have a dedicated cord.

Post Number: 3
Yeah, I have the red and white cords, and they're all plugged in correctly. The cord I was talking about is the AC adapter. I don't know if that would make much of a difference though. It fits into the slot, so I assumed it was.

I, obviously, do not know much about electronics.

Post Number: 4
OH HEY!

After I posted this, I went and fiddled with it some more. It turns out I had my input and output mixed up. Now it works fine.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Silver Member

Lewisville, Tx USA

Post Number: 171
Glad you sorted through it.

BTW AV is audio visual / AC is power. :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us