Record skips, but has no scratches

Username: Hotllama3

Post Number: 1
So, I'm new here. Can someone give me a little advice as to what to do with my record player. When I play a record--any record--it skips, even though I don't have records with scratches. I assume it has something to do with the needle. I'm off to college, and I can't listen to records. That kills me, so if there is any hints y'all can give me to fix my problem, it would be greatly appreciated.

Silver Member
Username: Mike3

Lewisville, Tx USA

Post Number: 169
Have you leveled your turntable?

If it is level and you are still experiencing skipping then go to this link;

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Setting+up+a+turntable&btnG=Google+Search

Username: Hotllama3

Post Number: 2
Total n00b to this kind of thing.
By leveling, do you mean put the turntable on a level surface?
Another symptom is that it drags from the edge of the record to 15 seconds into the first song. It's so confusing! I can't figure it out!

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1648
Ian,

It sounds to me like you need to apply a bit more anti-skate force.

When setting up, there are a few things that need doing:

The cartridge has to be aligned in the headshell so it is absolutely in the right position, usually square to the arm's headshell.

The cartridge may also need to be moved forward or backward in the headshell to land in the correct place. In order to know where the correct place is, you need a protractor. This depends on your deck/arm geometry. If it's a Rega, the protractor is usually supplied with the deck. If not, then you may have to use a universal protractor (which doesn't work with Rega decks of course).

The downforce applied by the cartridge, called the tracking weight, has to be adjusted to suit the cartridge. most cartridges track below or around 2 grams, but some require a lot less and others require more.

Now, when all the above are setup, the downforce of the cartridge combines with the rotating record to produce a force pulling in the arm to the centre of the record. This is called skating (coz it skates across right?). There should be a device at the back of the arm that allows you to set the anti-skate. Some use a dial with a spring inside the arm, some use a weight with a bit of line. To set the anti-skate, put a record which has a wide lead-out groove at the end of the side on the platter. Get it turning. Cue the arm and lower it so it drops between the widely spaced grooves. As things are now, you'll see the swing quickly onto the label of the record. Apply some anti-skate until eventually the arm doesn't swing in or out. It just stays there until the groove picks up the stylus. That's the right setting most of the time.

Typically, the arm should be level when the cartridge is sitting on a record. Some arms can't have their height changed, but many can.

Regards,
Frank.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 4122
It's black magic, I tell you!
Dark Arts!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us