Quick Question - Please Help

Username: Tedora

Post Number: 1
Hi Everyone,
What a wonderful forum... I'll get to my question.
I am doing a very basic setup of 2 pairs of speakers, each in a different room.

I am looking for a simple way to install a switch that will turn each set on or off independantly. I don't need volume control of anything fancy. I was debating whether a light switch might do the trick... Nothing is high end so the loss of quality might not make a big difference?
Can it be done? Will it damage the amp to be hooked up this way? Which wire would be switched? The positive terminal?

Any other thoughts on inexpensive ways to do this..

Thanks very much... I really appreciate a response as I am trying to make all this happen today.

Thanks!
Al

Silver Member
Username: Eib_nation

Ohio EIBville

Post Number: 133
Why not use the on/off switch on the receiver?

Post Number: 2
Why not use the switch on the receiver - because there are two rooms, and they are both running off of one connection on the receiver. The A part is running in a 3rd room, the B serves the other two... and I want each room to be able to turn off when needed...

Al

Silver Member
Username: Eib_nation

Ohio EIBville

Post Number: 134
You'll need a multi-room remote to control your system from various rooms.

This is the kind of stuff you'll want to research to achieve your goals.

http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/learningcenter/home/multiroom_remote.html

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1889
Interesting idea. So you will be using one room at a time? Otherwise be aware that the load on the receiver increases a lot (impedence lowers).

I can't think of a reason it wouldn't work.

Post Number: 3
Hi Rush,

Thanks for the link. I really can't spend much on this... This is a little project and the goal is to get as much done as possible without spending any significant money....

Peter, do you know if using a light switch in this way would work, and whether it would damage the amp in any way or which wire to switch?

Thanks for your feedback guys...

Al

Gold Member
Username: Timn8ter

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 1086
In ultimate cheap-ness you could just cut the one of the wires, strip them and connect them together when you want them to play.
To answer your question you could use a light switch or any number of toggle switches out there. All you're doing is opening or closing a low voltage circuit. It doesn't take much of a switch to do that. If you're not concerned about maintaining the highest fidelity possible then that's all there is to it.
HOWEVER, PG is right! You'd be wise to keep the volume down if you're playing both pair of B speakers at the same time. The impedance is likely to dip pretty low and fry your amp.
It's not unusual for speakers rated at 8 ohms to dip to 4 ohms. You put two in parallel and you're down to 2 ohms! Dangerous territory for many amps.

Bronze Member
Username: Serniter

Piscataway, New Jersey USA

Post Number: 60
I would use two of these, one for each channel:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062537&cp=&pg=1&origkw=to ggle+switch&kw=toggle+switch&parentPage=search

Would prevent connecting both speakers at the same time.

Bronze Member
Username: Serniter

Piscataway, New Jersey USA

Post Number: 61
Wires from the negative terminal of the amplifier can probably go to both sets of speakers without interruption. Wires leading to the positive terminal would require this switch.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us