A different take on LIVE MUSIC

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 4549
"I haven't read the entire conversation here since this thread was 600+ when I first noticed it, but as someone who worked in live sound reenforcment, I can tell you for a fact that live music without some heavy mixing on a console and other eq. sounds pretty bad unless it is in a theater specifically designed for a specific setup (like a fine concert hall such as Carneghi (sorry, I suck at spelling). As a mater of fact, live music sounds so far from what you can reproduce in a studio, most tracks on live recordings are actually redone in a studio and mixed so they sound like a live recording. A perfect example of this is a very old album by Kiss called Kiss Live. The only original track from the concerts are the drum tracks. All the vocal, guitar, and bass were redone in a studio even though they were recorded with the intent of making a live album. As far as imaging, for the most part it is up to the sound engineer as far as what you hear and where it is coming from. I can't imagine any engineer who would mix a show not to sound uniform through out the venue. Why should people who sit dead center of the stage be the only ones to hear an even mix where people on the side of the the Guitar only hear it the most and on the side of the bass here it the most? Even some artists such as Santana don't even use the amplification that is on the stage. He plays through a small distortion amp behind the stuff you see. SO this whole argument on imaging as a live performance is really imaging as a live performance the way an engineer wanted it to sound."

From this thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=8391583&&#post8391583

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 4073
And this affects a live ochestra...how?

Gold Member

Post Number: 4550
true, only applies to AMPLIFIED live music particularly in large arenas.

So if you mainly listen to ACCOUSTIC live music, never mind...

Gold Member
Username: Timn8ter

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 1079
A bit monolithic to be sure.
However, I agree with his thought that a recording being an exact representation of a live performance is probably unlikely as it will have been extensively "massaged" before release, whether acoustic or not.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9125

Keep turning up these scoops, ed. They're what makes me renew my subscription.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4101
I must agree with the live postings, my listening is always amplified/massaged somewhat.
But DAMN some of that shite sounds good here at home!
ZZ top is the most over produced stuff ever(just behind Boston), but golly, it sounds good to me!

Gold Member

Post Number: 4102
Every live production has it's production values(beyond a string trio in a small lounge, or a solo guitarist), you really have to eat the amp to get to the smallest values, or sit with James Taylor in your living room for the real thing. Otherwise, let the gear get your head around actually being there.

Change from a nickel.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4555
Why thanks Jan, you know I'm always happy to make you happy every chance I get!

: )

Gold Member

Post Number: 4107
Overly gratuitious, Ed?

Absolutely aside, Ed, you gotta hear my kit.
Yes, dollars aside, you will be floored.
Invite.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4556
yes, you keep raving about this new amp. It's too bad you're what, 2000 miles to the north of me or I'd lug my Ascends and Panny over there and then we'd REALLY have some fun, heh!

Gold Member

Post Number: 4112
hehe, sorry if I go on, Ed. I shall relax a bit.
How much 'lugging' does a 6lb amp require? lol

Gold Member

Post Number: 4558
hey, easy there---it's 9lbs not 6! LOL

Gold Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 1253
This was exactly the point I was making in a large thread discussing analog vs. digital last year. How can anyone say that only analog equipment can best reproduce and amplify music that has been overly messaged and engineered digitally to produce in the beginning?

Gold Member
Username: Timn8ter

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 1085
That depends on the equipment.

Gold Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 1037
OK,

I've been gone too long. Did Nuck finally pull the string on a new amp and speakers?

Give it up and let me know what I'll be hearing if I travel north and east, Nuckster?

I agree with Tim, everything depends on the equipment, unless it depends on the room, or unless it depends on stuff in the room, or not in the room, or unless it depends upon where I sit in the room or where the speakers, treatment, etc. are placed in the room. (See, you guys have taught be to be suspicious of any general statemsnts.)

Quoting Steve Martin in the "The Jerk," "All I need is this lamp, and this ashtray and that's all I need. . . "

Gold Member

Post Number: 4130
Dave, my profile has been updated, welcome back from the abyss, or wherever you were.

Where do lawyers go, anyhow? (all insert smart answers here, so long as it does not involve the great beyond).

It all works wonderfully well, thank you, I could just wet myself sometimes. Good thing you gave me Depends!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1265
You bought a Classe you SOB. How much did that set you back?

I just heard it for the first time in a local store last weekend. Too good, but also very big.

Gold Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 1039
Nuck,

We're not talking an upgrade here, we're talking the mother of all makeovers. So what did your wife get out of all this? LOL

I've been absolutely buried at work and it's better only temporarily and then I go on the road again next week for about 3 weeks. Then, things should settle down.

Now, if I could only get my house sold, I've got my 7.1 pre-wired in the new house and the "listening room" is about 3/4 of the way done and then I'm going to hit up you "geniuses" for some advice on room treatment for the 2 channel system.

I'm glad we gave you the Depends also but moisture and amps don't mix well. Dave.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4135
Stof, I have been running the saga in amps 'after much soul searching' forever, it seems.
All 4 yr pre-loved gear.
New list 17,200.
5k out the door.

Dave, I still hope you sued the guys buttt off!

Gold Member

Post Number: 4136
And my speakers ain't makin' it.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1266
They probably won't if you amp is anything like the monsters I saw. The mono block was as big as my HSU STF-2.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4142
Naw, just a regular 80 lb stereo unit.

Username: Underarock

Milwaukee, WI USA

Post Number: 3
Somehow, this all reminds me of the "Is it Live, or is it Memorex?" commercials.

And I agree, unless you're in an acoustically treated concert hall or theater lounge, much live music comes from awful (to my mind) P.A. speakers, especially when many of the instruments themselves require amplification (guitars, keyboards, synthesizers, etc.), not to mention the vocalist, if there is one (and many times I wish there weren't!). I've often heard the statements that a speaker should reproduce live sound as closely as possible. I sure as hell wouldn't want it to sound like a PA speaker in the corner of the bar, next to the rest room!

Gold Member

Post Number: 4302
Gary, you gotta tip the man to get a better seat next time! hehehe

Username: Underarock

Milwaukee, WI USA

Post Number: 6
To sit farther away (like by the door)....
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us