Athena audition series

Username: Feynmix

Post Number: 1
Hey folks,
My first post here and I need some advice. I am looking to get a pair of decent speakers for my living room apartment ( I dont need anything spectacular, just something that is better than my laptop speakers). Anyways, a friend of mine recommended me these:

http://www.athenaspeakers.com/model-AS-B1-2.htm

I have read some reviews for these, and every single review has been positive. So, what do you guys think? Should I go for these, or is there a better option? My budget is <$150, so these seem to fit right. Along with these speakers, I plan on buying a decent amp, and get it all connected. Any advice on how to get this setup would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Silver Member
Username: Mike3

Lewisville, Tx USA

Post Number: 147
Sonic T-Amp, ~$30 or so online, plus another $20 for 14V AC Adapter.

Mirage Omnisat speakers, used to be $249 @ but Tweeter Center has them on clearance for $68 @.

A little over you $150 but well worth it.

Edster, any better ideas?

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 10606
The Athena bookshelves are great speakers for the budget and you will be hard pressed to go wrong.

Post Number: 2
I plan on buying the amp you recommended for sure. Well, my budget for $150 was only for the speakers. I am willing to fork a bit more for the amp.

Also, forgive me for my ignorance, but can you actually explain what each part does. I plan on hooking up the speakers straight to my laptop (or my ipod), whichever is easier. What do I need the adapter (or a transformer?) Thanks again.

Post Number: 3
Also, I am reading about the Mirage speakers right now, and so are they better than the athena ones?

Silver Member

Lewisville, Tx USA

Post Number: 148
As long as you have an audio out on your laptop you will be fine. The Sonic T Amp only accepts 1/8" stereo plug so it most likely is compatable with your laptop's line out (should your laptop have one, if not try the headphones out to the amp). From the amp use simple speaker wire to your speakers as the Sonic T Amp does not accept banana plugs or spades.

I cannot offer an opinion on the Mirage speakers to the Athenas as I only have experience with the Mirage. I do know that with the 14V AC adapter the Mirages can get fairly loud with the Sonic T.

Mighty Mouse of amps.

Post Number: 4
Are the Mirages still on clearance at tweeter.com? I dont see them, thats why I ask. Thanks.

Silver Member

Lewisville, Tx USA

Post Number: 152
There was one left at the Tweeter near me last week. Go into a Tweeter and if the store you are in does not have them, ask them to check other stores and if you can find them nearby there you go. If they find them but not near you, ask the store if they could get them shipped to that store for you.

Post Number: 5
Wow..this sucks. The only Tweeter's close to me are in Chicago, about 110 miles away! Thats unfortunate. Anyways, thanks for the advice.

The Athenas, I can find for $120/pair. Decent enough I suppose.

Silver Member

Lewisville, Tx USA

Post Number: 153
Not being one to give up easy, perhaps you could call the store and if still in stock, have them ship them to you. Do not make your decision based on $500 pair of speakers for $136 versus $120 speakers. You should try to audition them at the same time and return the ones that don't make the cut.

Post Number: 6
Thats a good point, but being on a small college campus in the middle of IL, I can't really audition much. I can certainly call them and ask, and see what happens. I would love to try these things out, but Best Buy doesnt carry them (about the only thing available here). So...I guess I am stuck to reading reviews...

Silver Member

Lewisville, Tx USA

Post Number: 154
Give it a couple of days, you most likely will get other suggestions from the folks here. Good luck.

BTW my daughter was going to go to WIU but changed her mind and is goign to Xavier. Where did you opt to?

Post Number: 7
Thanks a lot.
I am a senior at UIUC - U of IL at Urbana-Champaign.
I will give it a couple of days to do some serious research before I committ to a pair of speakers. Thanks

Post Number: 8
Also, any advice on whether the speakers would be the right ones for my room or not.
My living room (where i plan on installing these) is approx 17' by 12'. Would the Athena AS-B1 be too small, or just the right size?

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 4522
better idea would be to go to Best Buy and get the Insignia bookshelves, lots of raves about these $40-50/pair speakers on avsforum.com --- you can always take them back to the store if unsatisfied.

With the savings you might even be able to afford an Athena AS-P4000 sub to go with them.

Silver Member

Lewisville, Tx USA

Post Number: 155
Something with a sub is a good suggestion. I think the Mirages bottom around 90Hz and I use a PSB Subsonic 5i with them.

Edster, where have you been? Oh yeah, patty caking it with Art. ;>)

Post Number: 9
Ok, so I am reading about these. This would be a better option for me, and this would been I can wait on the sub for a few more weeks? Also, whats the best place to get the amp? If I order the amp today, and then get the speakers, I could possibly set this up for a listen in the next few days?

Silver Member

Lewisville, Tx USA

Post Number: 156
The Sonic T-Amp may be ordered online. Get the AC Adapter at the same time, at least 14V.

Post Number: 10
Ok, I have a question. Whats the advantage of getting an amp over a receiver? Also, what will be the purpose of the AC adapter? I just want to know the roles of the things that I would be buying.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
This is ridiculous...Of all the BB's around 100 miles in my area, the one closest to me is the only one that doesnt have them available. Any suggestions folks...

Silver Member

Lewisville, Tx USA

Post Number: 158
You posted the reason for speakers is to upgrade from your laptop speakers. Your source is your laptop so you do not need a reciever unless you are adding other sources as well.

You do not have to have an AC adapter. Without it you do not get the sound quality from the T-Amp that you would with it, and it has to be 14 - 14.4 volts. Less than that does not work as well. You will quickly spend on batteries what the adapter would cost if you do not get the adapter.

You really need to start figuring some of this out for yourself. Especially your previous post.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Well, I am doing that right now. I will get this figured out for sure...just the parts (I dont want to get something not knowing what I will be using it for) is what I want to make sure on. Again, thanks for the help.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
So, I managed to get a pair of Insignia's to try out at home. Lets see if I can set this up correctly now...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us