Upgrading home theater system

Username: Andruw25jones0

Post Number: 1
I currently have a HTIB from Pannasonic. I am going to upgrade to component audio. They say once you go component audio you never go back. Well i am ready to switch and leve HTIB in the dust. I want to be able to go into the home theater and really get the theater experiece. I also want to make sure that the surround speakers are top notch because the ones in my current and former HTIB have never done anything at all. I want these surrounds to be exceptional. The receiver is a Denon AVR-3806. I want to get a 7.1 set up to go along with the blue-ray disk player. What are some suggestion that would sound good for a 100% home theater??

Post Number: 2
The front L/R, center, and sub will be about 12 ft. from the listening position and the 4 surrounds will be very close to the listening position.. about 4 ft away. Keep that in mind when giving your opinions on what speakers to buy. Also, should I place the surround speakers abouve the listening positio and point them down.. like hang them from the ceiling via a pole. The budgets for just speakers should be about $1,500-$2,500

Post Number: 3
As far ad the room info goes, the celing is at 8 ft. with the celing behind the listening position being a bit slanted. The material of the room is great for sound fields so neep excessive bass, etc. If any other information is needed let me know. I need some feedback as soon as possible because I would really like to update the home theater room asap. Thanks

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 4515
100% HT, go to svsubwoofers.com and look at their $1K package 5 speakers with PB10 sub.

You don't even need to spend more than say $300-500 for your usage...HT is not anywhere as tricky and demanding as music listening.

My suggestion would be the digital switching Panasonic sa-xr55 or sa-xr57. If you want to stick to analog gear, the Pioneer 1015/16 or Yamaha rxv-657/9 would suffice.

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1858
I think HT is pretty demanding in terms of dynamics. I wouldn't sell it short.

Gold Member
Username: Kano

BC Canada

Post Number: 1070
Must have missed the part where he said he had a Denon 3806...

As far as "top notch" surround speakers, the problem you were probably experiencing with having nothing from them was that they were not calibrated properly with the receiver.

I have had my surrounds at ear level for a while and then moved them to where the bottem of the speaker was 2 feet above ear level as my Harman Kardon manual suggested. I have them facing straight out rather than tilted down. I prefer them much more in this position as they blend much better, as well the distance from the speaker is no longer a factor as you can now sit directly beside the wall(s) and not have that speaker be overbearing. I found the surrounds at ear level drew too much attention to themselves, which I liked at first being new to HT, but eventually it was more of a nuisance.

I have Polk Fxi3 speakers for the surrounds, these are shaped like a U, with a tweeter on either side and the driver facing inwards. They have a switch for bi-pole (behind) or di-pole(beside). These speakers are definitely the highlight of my speaker package, they do everything well and blend perfectly. Many other speakers are moving to this design with good reason, definitely check them out.

Post Number: 5
Aight preciate the suggestions so far. I like the idea for the Polk Audio surrounds and the SVS woofer. Now the Polk Fxi3's can be used as the two rear surrounds in a 7.1 setup right?? I would like some suggestions if possible. As far as questions I have.. I understand that it is best if i hear the systems for my self, but as far as your personal opinion goes... is SVS or Velodyne woofer better?? Is Paradigm good for front L/R and center?? And last do you think Paradigm and Polk Audio will blend nicely?? I appreciate any feedback

Gold Member

BC Canada

Post Number: 1071
It's best to stick with the same make of speakers all around. If not possible try to use speakers with a timbre close to one another. Polk and Paradigm have completely different sounds, I wouldn't recommend mixing them in a system.

You can use speakers like the Fxi3s as surround backs, but it is not necessary IMO, a pair of small bookshelfs are just fine in this position, di-pole speakers on the sides offer more benefits.

Paradigm makes the ADP-370 which would be a better pick if going with Paradigms up front.

http://www.paradigm.com/Website/SiteParadigmProduct/ParadigmModels/MonSeries/Mon itorSpecs.htm

SVS or Velodyne? SVS offers better value being internet direct IMO, the PB10-NSD would be just great for home theatre, if you want more finessful bass for music HSU, Velodyne, or a higher end SVS like the PB-12 Plus/2 would be better.

Post Number: 7
thanks for suggestion. keep em coming. I have one more question as well... which, in your personal opinion is better, Paradigm or Polk Audioand give a reason why. I appreciate any help

Silver Member
Username: Rysa4

Post Number: 555
Well thought I throw in a few comments;

1. I find center channels and subs to be key in HOme Theater and also some very fine speaker manufacturers fall down here, particularly in making decent center channels.

2. I'd look for speakers that you really enjoy listening to but that are 8 ohms, ie reasonably easy to drive. Going down the 4 ohm road tends to make it harder to really get an optimal sound environement in HT and tends to require a bit more money and emphasis on power.

3. Subs- The entry model Velodynes are NOT impressive and the better ones are expensive. An SVS sub is fine for ht, but I find there subs to be a bit boomy at the expense of accuracy. That said, I do like the PB Ultras. However, other choices I would give serius coniseration to would be the Axiom EP 500 as well as the HSU STF-3 WITH the turbo. SUbs are key for HT so I wouldnt cut corners here.

4. Speakers- well there are quite a number of good choices out there but most of them arent sold at Circiut City, Best Buy, or even tweeter or Home Theater store. I think the Spendor line might be worth a look see- The center channel options are excellent and they have a host of monitors with varying frequency ranges as well as floor standers. Keep in mind that in HT frequency extension below 60 HZ isnt necessary since you would likely crossover at 80 hz. The denon 3806 does have a variabe crossover capability however. Spendor does have dealers in the US like the listeneing room in Baltimore and others. My front-center, Left and right all extend to the same 45 hz and use the same drivers. My surrounds use the same tweeters as well but have a smaller midrange; they extend to 65.

7.1 vs 5.1. I'd put money into a higher evek 5.1 system than stretch the budget for a lesser 7.1 system. There are only a few titles out in 7.1 FYI and I dont see an advantage in 7.1 audio unless you have a very long room. This is just an opinion of course.

The totem rainmakers make a good set of speakers for HT minus their sub, these are 6 ohm speakers FYI.

Lots of other choices. Audiogon.com offers a wealth of info and a host of spekaers discounted off full retail via their classifieds for perfect speakers as those affecionados constantly upgrade.

I like to audition center channles and subs together without all the other speakers to really listen to this critical blend.

Good luck.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 4519
AKP,

I'd still just buy the $1K SVS combo...chances are you'll be more than happy with it for 100%HT. If not, keep the sub and ship back the speakers for a refund within 30 days.

HT subwoofers mainly need to move massive amounts of air for all the crashes, booms, roars, etc.---SVS is the king of all that for the money. A more "accurate" finesse sub would be more suitable for music listening...I definitely would not go any higher than Hsu if you want a bit more finesse.

Likewise, if you want a more refined HT speaker that can also handle music pretty well, look at ascendacoustics.com --- a bit of overkill for 100% HT in my opinion, but hey it's your money.

Silver Member
Username: Rysa4

Post Number: 556
Actually, there is nothing wrong with a guaranteed return listening tryout of something like the SVS package. I did audition it though and it is really lacking in the speakers.

Actually there is more than just booms to HT frequencies below 80 hz-- quite a bit more. SVS does make good subs, but the axiom EP 500 and HSU stf- 3 with turbo offer better options based on direct comparisons and waveform graphs viewable online at audio asylum as well as avsforum.com. The testing and comparisons are fully cussed and discussed but super sub affecionados who spend way more time on this type of thing than I do.

Ideally your subs blend with your speakers in extending the frequency ranges so you dont always only notice the subs ( unless you turn them off) except for the obvious cannons, depth charges etc. This is where the HSU offering excels due to how they did their port tuning.

Ascends are good too for HT and make a decent center, but the 3806 you have can really do a great job with a higher level of speaker if chosen wisely.

Silver Member
Username: Mike3

Lewisville, Tx USA

Post Number: 146
Marc is right on target with muscling up on 5.1 and leaving the 7.1 until the budget requires. You really will get more bang for the buck that way. In fact, getting a second sub before getting two more satellites would have been nice except there is only 1 SW line out. Perhaps an upgrade on the power cord?

Gold Member

BC Canada

Post Number: 1072
" In fact, getting a second sub before getting two more satellites would have been nice except there is only 1 SW line out"

Actually, you can hook 2 subs into the left and right pre-outs. In this configuration you would set the sub to none and the front speakers to large. It is important to have full range front speakers or speakers with a low pass filter such that they don't try to play the low frequencies and potentially damage the speaker.

Post Number: 8
I would really appreciate more advice. Thanks
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us