I want to blow away my residence hall.

Username: Sgrpwrwmn

Post Number: 1
I am in college, and would like to have a nice set of loud speakers for my dorm.

Last year, my roommate had a logitech 2.1 system that got loud as hell, but I heard it distorting at higher volumes. Now FWIW, I enjoyed those speakers because they were loud as hell and did a great job playing rap and attracting people to our dorm. They were also very easy to set up and plugged into damn near everything (ipods, laptops, etc.) easily.

I really don't like the idea of having logitech speakers. I know there must be higher quality set ups out there. I'm sure most people on this forum are much more knowledgeable about speaker set-ups than I am. Basically I'm looking for an easily installed, easily set-up system that is better quality than the Logitechs. A couple years ago, I was very interested in car audio, and remember reading something about Adire Audio for cheap home set-ups. What kind of set-up do you recommend? What wiring do I need to get to have the ability to plug in the whole set-up to a laptop/ipod headphone jack? Besides a loud subwoofer, what mid/high range speakers are good for economical, loud set-ups?

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9081

Go to your local pro sound/dj shop and ask about self powered, active speakers. Pick your price range.

Post Number: 2
I've had terrible experiences with local shops; they just try to get you to buy stuff they want to sell.

What do you recommend for $250-400?

Silver Member
Username: Stefanom

Silver Spring, MD United States

Post Number: 139
A pair of these:

http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=3963421

Combined with a cheap stereo receiver + cd player, you'll be the bane of the RA.

Silver Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 798
they just try to get you to buy stuff they want to sell.

Those scoundrels!

[grin]

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1834
How about these Stephen ?

http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=4082110

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9084

Then go to a pro shop that isn't in your area. Ask about active speakers.

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 940
bob:

Don't know what you mean by "blow away my residence hall," but I gather you want to get somewhat loud without a lot of distortion. Here is an amplified speaker system I really like that will plug directly into your laptop/iPod, with cleaner sound than the Logitechs:

http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/productdetail.asp?sku=AE26-06B&product_name=Ae go%20iPod/PC%20Speaker%20System

You won't "blow away" your residence hall in terms of getting really loud, but it will certaily waste Logitechs! They are well within your budget and that dealer allows you to try them for 30 days--if they don't work for you call them and then return them (read their audition policy).

Good luck!

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1608
My vote goes with Hawk (for once). The AEs are an excellent little system that will play fairly loud, although of course if you overdo it you *will* kill them eventually. They've got reasonably good fidelity and can be plugged into your computer/iPod/CD player etc.

It's called a PC system but it's anything but.

Regards,
Frank.

Silver Member
Username: Stefanom

Silver Spring, MD United States

Post Number: 140
As far as PC systems go, Klipsch makes some respectable 2.1 through 5.1 systems that go fairly loud with reasonable accuracy.

I would also suggest listening to Jan about looking into some active speakers from a pro shop.

In any event, few systems will match up for your purposes against a system based on Cerwin Vega speakers. The VE12 that Peter posted would definately rock the dorm, although when combined with a suitable stereo receiver, would be pushing your budget. The VE8, while it won't have quite as much bass capability, would still be a respectable choice.

Post Number: 3
Can the Acoustic Energy Aegos get as loud as these Logitechs?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16836121121

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 4501
Bob,

If your current Logitech 2.1 system is the 2200 or 2300, you might be fine just replacing the satellites with some small bookshelves like the Athena AS-B1.2 ($120 at audioadvisor.com) or even the Insignia bookshelves ($40-50 at your local Best Buy), since that sub's built in amp is not too bad.

RadioShack sells speaker wire that has spades at one end and an RCA plug at the other hand---not the nice 12-16 gauge that I prefer, but it gets the job done ok.

Bronze Member
Username: Raj_p

Evanston, IL USA

Post Number: 59
When I was in the dorms, what I did was get a pair of Polk RTi38s at around 200, a Dayton 10" sub from parts express at around 100, and a Pioneer Receiver. This system really ripped through the walls. I'm sure you could put together something like this at 400 bucks if you went to audiogon and got some used gear or found some clearance deals.

Bronze Member

Evanston, IL USA

Post Number: 60
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=300-633 is the sub that I'd get if I were you. I have the older version and it works amazingly well.

Silver Member
Username: Eib_nation

Ohio EIBville

Post Number: 130
In a dorm, all you need is a mini-shelf system. Something like that phillips system edster was raving about in his costco review is all the system you need right now. Any number of those systems will be more than loud enough for a dorm room.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 4656
I have been utterly fraught with peril these past few days as the abbreviation 'FWIW' seems to be appearing more constantly. At first, I thought I was safe! "It appears to be an antecedent to one's own personal opinion" I thought, rather relieved, "But I'm sure I won't see it often."

Unfortuntely, the afforementioned is not the scenario.

FWIW? Can someone explain? Otherwise, I will assume it is a type of self-label to the effect of "Freak with ignorant words" Thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Eib_nation

Ohio EIBville

Post Number: 131
For what it's worth

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 4666
Haha, that's hilarious! Thanks.

Yet another marring of the English language...

Bronze Member

Evanston, IL USA

Post Number: 62
Oh of course he could get a simple shelf system, but I'll always wistfully remember when my receiver started melting my yaffa-block nightstand in the middle of a lengthy listening session!!! :D

Silver Member

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 944
Bob:

Frankly, I have yet to heat any Logitechs that approach what is called "high fidelity", which means a reasonable attempt to reproduce the sound exactly as recorded. Yet, the AE's are capable of doing exactly that. So, I guess the question I have is: are you looking for accuracy to impress your residence hall, or are you looking for sheer volume to annoy everyone and say "hey, look at me?" I am not making a value judgement here, just need to know how to address your posts.

Depending upon you answer, I have another suggestion for the system you want. . .

Silver Member

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 945
umm, that was supposed to be "yet to hear" (not heat).

Post Number: 4
I want loud, and I don't want the sub to do stuff like buzz at high volumes.

Bronze Member
Username: Ccdoggy

Post Number: 39
Logitech Z-680s. they have been discontinued, but if you can find a pair get them. I have been using mine for the past 2 years in a dorm enviroment and they get loud. really quite loud and the sub is a champ at high volumes.

Doing a bass test on the 4th floor of the dorm i could faintly hear it on the 1st floor. Its a concrete building.
I am not saying they are the best but if you can find some they will be pretty cheap and can plug anything into them with ease.

Silver Member
Username: Riches1

Atlanta, GA US

Post Number: 216
Want speakers that play loud? Klipsch. What do you see on the concert stage? Lots of horn speakers. That's what you get with Klipsch. There not the most accurate, but they are amongst the most dynamic, and loudest at their respective price points and driver sizes. They have a huge product line, so your bound to find what you're look for.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us