Modern turntable with phono input?

Username: Mongoose

Post Number: 3
Hi all,

I am looking for a decent receiver with a phono input that can be bought new. I am getting kind of frustrated because most modern receivers don't have it, and I don't know where to even start looking. Any recommendations on either general searching techniques or specific brands and models? My budget is, oh, let's say anything up to $800 (of course, if I can spend less, I'll be happy as long as quality isn't sacrificed too much).

Another question is whether it's possible to buy a receiver without a phono jack and a separate device to connect a turntable to it? And is it worth it money-wise and quality-wise?

Thanks in advance.

Post Number: 4
Ooops, the subject should, of course read "Modern receiver...".

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9080

You can buy a receiver without any input labelled "phono" though, as you probably know, most inputs labelled "phono" are merely high level inputs with another badge. Buy an out-board phono pre amp and plug its output into any high level input on the receiver. If you like the sound of a turntable, this is a better approach since you can decide what quality of phono section you will own. Phono pre amps cost between $45 and a couple of thousand dollars.

Post Number: 5
Thanks for the advice, Jan! I guess I'll research preamps now. :-)

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 949
Tat:

If you mean modern Home Theater Receivers, you would be right. However, built in phone pre-amps are found in the Rotel RX-1056 and the Outlaw R-2150 (www.outlawaudio.com). Both are quite nice Stereo Receivers.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1619
What about Rotel's RX-1052?

Thing is, you're really limiting yourself to just a very few models (the 1052 was the only one I couold find really) by insisting on both the tuner and the phono stage being in the box. There are quite a few receivers around, albeit not as many as there used to be, and there's a few integrated amps with phono stages built in, but the whole shebang is quite rare it seems.

There's quite a few separate phono stages around, and also a very few turntables with phono stage built in. Theoretically, building a phono stage into a turntable is the best way of doing things actually, since it means the tiny cartridge signal only has to travel down the arm before being amplified to line level. In practice, this has been reserved for the very entry level turntables, so quality has been compromised there.

Incidentally, I believe a built-in phono stage option is also available for the Arcam surround receivers.

Regards,
Frank.

Username: Myra

Post Number: 2
Hi. This forum seems to be the place to ask this question: I have an Optimus Receiver, and it has a phono input. I am currently using a cheap Denon DP 25F turntable, which I have connected through the phono input. However, sound from right channel is weaker than sound from left channel, and left channel (only) puts out a hum when you get past about 10 oclock. If I'm reading this right, can I buy a preamp and utilize some other input on the receiver: Tape1/Tape2/or LD (laser disc?)? Is there anything else I should check or do (particularly with regard to fact that volume output from left channel sounds significantly louder than from right?) Note I just bought a Technics SL1600 in really good condition. Came with a Pickering XV-15 Cartridge, and I want to resolve the issue/decide if I need to buy a preamp to get rid of the HUM when I hook up the Technics. Any advice you folks can give would be appreciated.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9092

You give no indication as to the age of the Denon and Optimus. Therefore some of the answers can only be based upon assumptions which might not be absolutely correct.

In an inexpensively built receiver such as the Optimus, you might find a difference in level from the phono input. Swapping to an outboard phono pre amp would at least let you determine where the problem exists. Whether it is in the table or the receiver's phono section would easily be resolved by sub'ing a new phono pre amp.

If you have the Technics table on hand, it could serve the same function. It would be very unlikely that two turntables would exhibit exactly the same problem, and, therefore, should you have the same balance problems with the Technics table, you can safely assume the receiver to be at fault.

This would not necessarily indicate both tables to have no problems of their own however.

Post Number: 3
Thanks John. Both receiver and turntable were purchased in the mid 90s. Am going to try swapping out the turntables later today, and I think your suggestion should help isolate the issue. One thing more, on a 2nd diagnostic, I noticed the hum is much much worse when the "superbass" on the receiver is engaged, yet I still only get "hum" when I use the phono input. There's no hum at all when I play CDs, with or without "superbass". If I get hum with the Technics, I'll try subing a new preamp as you suggest. Thanks again. Myra!

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1627
If you switch over left and right leads from the turntable to the receiver, does the weak channel change sides? If it does, it's your turntable output (i.e. cartridge or leads) which is at fault. If not, it's your receiver. Same goes for the hum...

Regards,
Frank.

Post Number: 4
Hi Frank. Switched the leads & the weak channel changed sides, so I don't think its the receiver.....But now, I have a worse problem. The
Technics Turntable gives no sound output when played. The other turntable I have(cheapo Denon DP 25F) was input through phono jacks in receiver (Optimus STA 3180), and it still works fine, but nothing comes out of the Technics. Otherwise, it seems to work fine. I was thinking I might need a preamp for it, but the other turntable seems to give enough output out of the same phono jacks. Note the cartridge on the Technics is Pickering XV 15 and all connections appear to be tight. Can you advise? I need to decide whether to keep it or ship it back to seller in a few days.

Post Number: 5
HI FRANK> IGNORE MY POST OF 3:08, WE FIXED IT! Removed platter and metal covering beneath to discover that plastic connector between turntable assembly wires & speaker wires had totally come undone in the shipping. Rehooked it, & things work great now...and channel humming I was experiencing with the old Denon is gone. Thanks for answering my post of desperation! Best, MYRA!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us