Avr 635 - with new jbl subwoofer - can't produce base

Username: Fishairflow

Post Number: 10
I can't believe this - picked up a fully functional AVR 635 (display) with a new JBL sub10 venue - and I can't get the base.

I have set the front 2 speakers (Klipsch SLX 100 watts) as small - and I believe the crossover is set at 80.

I connected an another subwoofer - and same results. So I tought it was the receiver -so I went and returned the receiver and got another one..same issue.

Please help me...I really love this toy but c

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1830
Two in a row... Seems suspicious, like you are doing something trivial wrong. Do the subs output anything if you connect it to another pre-out, such as a front channel (with the speakers set to large)?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Thanks for replying
Actually - when I run the EzEQ setting - the machine checks all of the connected speakers individually - and at that time the subwoofer goes off as if my house was going to come rumbling down - but thats about it - after that - even when I play aerosmith - it does not do anything at all...or very ver very little output...

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1832
Are you certain that the sub is not set to off when Aerosmith is playing? h/k receiver often need to be setup for each separate input (so you could have no sub selected for the CD player, but the sub on for the DVD player).

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
actually - what do you mean by that??...I used teh ezsetup...where on the menu do you go to set it up individually ??
I checked on teh dvd source and it says sub = yes.
And you see - there is a VERY SLIGHT signal going to the sub...its not like it is absolutely quiet....

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1833
So it's an Aerosmith DVD?

If the h/k interface hasn't changed since a few years, the following will be relevant: When the DVD is playing, press the OSD button, then "speaker setup" and check that the fronts are set to small and the sub to On (or Yes). It could be that the speakers are set to large and the sub is only getting a slight LFE signal from the concert DVD. Also try an action movie (for real LFE content) and another source, such as the CD input (use the analog outputs of the DVD player if you don't have a dedicated CD player).

Silver Member
Username: Praetorian

Canada

Post Number: 402
Yes, you have to set up each individual input seperately. A bit of a pain, but probably the source of your problem. Trust me, the bass mgt of the '635 is not an integral problem.

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 403
Do not hesitate to contact me privately, as we have the same receiver, there should not be any BASIC problem I cannot help you out with! Cheers!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
Thank you guys...thanks michael...here is what happened. - I ran the ezeq with the microphone on the tripod - and this time although all the settings were the same - the subwoofer started working - I have not done the individual setting (atleast knowingly - I was playing around with the whole set up quite a lot) - so now there is another problem - everytime I would skip a song on the Cd - it would make a very loud abnoxious sound ???..is this normal??
2. I am going the reset the receiver and see if I can actually get the woofer to work again....

on the side note - I have a BRAND NEWjbl sub 10 " venu - retails for 329 and got it for about 180 -30 = 150 US $.
I can ALSO get a Klipsch 10" sub - which is a FLOOR MODEL for about the same price. US $ 150...The retail for klipsch is 400 US $....what should I do???
THanks guys...

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 408
Use 'em both. Get a "Y" splitter for the sub pre out to both subs (in opposing corners of each room). And no, there should not be a loud obnoxious sound every time you skip a song... (I assume this sound is like a "whump"???). OH... my bad, I thought you had both already. Never mind then, the sub you have is fine and comparable to the Klipsch.

I agree with you that your best bet is to do a "factory default" reset and start over. You have to use the eq manually for the sub, as there is no automatic sub eq in the HK. As a start point, just turn the volume to "1 o'clock" and see how that goes. Otherwise SPL match it, and maybe add 3db for taste! ;)

Remember, when setting the inputs up, you have to do it individually. So, I highly recommend you use the OSD, select one input (say CD for example), set the speaker sizes, input type, x-overs (in your case the default 100KHz should be good), default program, etc, THEN select another input and do it all again. It gives you a lot of room for configurability, but can be a pain in the rear if you just want the same settings for everything.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
thanks guys....especially you Michael.....it ROCKS!!!!!!!
now to make a decision -
I really think that klipsch is a lot louder.....but I need to play something to get that tight base...what to play...what to play...I shall return to the lab...and come up with an answer...meanwhile - let me know if you have any personal preferences for a subwoofer out of the two...

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 410
Kalia, one thing that's hard to get when we are stepping out into unknown territory is the urge to seek reinforcement from our peers. If you like the Klipsch, use that instead. If I sold you some song and dance on the magical properties of JBL I am either a JBL owner, have stock, or am only parroting other people opinions. Same with any kind really. The build quality, parts, specs, and sound quality between those two brands (to me) is pretty much the same, so when I said don't bother it was because in my mind it was six of one or half dozen of the other, and you already had the JBL. If you prefer Klipsch, do not hesitate to throw the JBL back into the market and sleep soundly (or keep awake longer for that matter) knowing the Klipsch is compromising the integrity of your house's foundations! ;-)

As for some set up advice, setting your mains to large will not mess up your bass if you have the x-over set anywhere from 88 (to give them a little fudge factor from the specs) - 100. As long as you are set to LF/RF/Sub, and Global, you should be able to use large and still get a nice rounded low freq sound from your sub too. However, make sure your centre channel is set to small! That speaker is not built to properly handle the LFE/bass. In your first post you said your mains were set to small, if this is the case the x-over is redundant because all the bass is going to the sub.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us