denon 3805 looking for new speakers. mostly ht

Username: Panhead1

Post Number: 1
I have the denon 3805 and have been wanting to upgrade my speakers. I mostly just do the home theater. Rarely listen to just music. Have an older bose accoustimass 7, 3 speaker system now. Have a square room about 16x16. Not sure on what brand to go with.

Thought about just getting some nice speakers for the left, right, center and sub. Then just moving the bose system for the surround in the back and use all 3 speakers? Is that a dumb way to go? Was planning on going with some klipsh but have heard that they don't go well with denon. Heard that axiom makes some good speakers also. Haven't done a lot of research on the speakers here so need some sort of help to figure out what would work best and all kind of go to gether.

Thanks.

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 10517
Budget?

For the Denon I would recommend Paradigm speakers. Their warmth balances out the Denon's sterility.

Post Number: 3
the budget isn't a big thing really. I have found some b&w's on ebay and what not but not sure how well they would work for the home theater side of things. I have been reading up on the axioms and they sound like they are about perfect for the denon. I might be changing it out anyways a little later. Just trying to find out what would be good for a complete 5.1 system.

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 10518
If budget is not a big thing then you really should try out Sonus Faber Cremona or the Stradivari. Sweetness embodied:-)

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 4498
If you are interested in Internet direct, order one pair of say Axiom M3s and a pair of Ascend 170SEs, send back the pair you like less (about $20 shipping) and buy the rest of your system from the manufacturer of the pair you keep.

My guess is that you'd take the Ascends, whose neutrality will match better with your 3805 than the Axioms' brightness.

Then bring the Ascends with you into local shops and be really amazed at how well they compare to bookshelves costing a lot more.

PS. If you dislike the shape/look of the 170SE you can consider the 340SE.

Post Number: 4
thanks edster for the info. In the axiom i was thinking about going with the m60 or the 80's. probably just the 60's cause they don't need to be that loud. It seemed all i read about the axioms were pretty good but have never looked at the ascends. I will try and check them out.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4499
Robert,

Look up both speakers on audioreview.com --- the 170SEs are less then a year old so you'll have to look up the CBM-170s (original version) for the maximum number of reviews.

Gold Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 1243
Robert you may also want to look at these Monitor Audio S6 or S8. It seems MA has come up with a new line and they are discounting these out the door. They are a great value at this price.

http://saturdayaudio.com/

Silver Member
Username: Riches1

Atlanta, GA US

Post Number: 208
Robert,

I have the Denon 3805 and Axiom M22's. It's a great combo. It is a common misperception on this board that the Denon 3805 receiver is "bright". Occaisionally I see comments like "dry" or "sterile" etc. I won't argue those comments,( mainly because I help people and refuse to "argue" any more) other than to say that one man's "sterile" is another man's "clean". Many of the professional reviews describe the 3805 as neutral to slightly warm with slightly recessed highs. I agree to extent, because there are a lot variables to take into consideration (source, source material, connectors, room acoustics, etc.) I had Paradigm Mini Monitors before the Axioms. I would advise against Paradigms. You would have to lay out $1200 bucks for the studio 40's to even get close to the $450 Axiom M22's. (See Audioholics for the review and stats.) Definitely do not go with the Klipsch. I had the RB'7s paired up with a Denon 2803 and the sound was very thin. Also, if you decide to add Axiom surrounds to replace the Bose in the rear, you will be able to do so cheaply (Axiom QS4's -which is what I have - or going with a smaller Axiom bookshelf speaker.)

Good Luck.

"Evidence and experience, not pontification"

Post Number: 5
riches,
Thanks for the info. I was thinking about going with the m60's from axiom and getting thier qs8's. All i have read about the surrounds were great and the same with the front. hear the info from stof and those monitor audio sound like pretty good speakers also. Always a delema and hard to ever get to actually hear any of them with out buying them and trying them. I had read up on the paradigms and they said pretty much to stay away from them also for most recievers. They were if i remeber right way on the warm side like to far. But then all ya read about denon being to bright they might of matched up. But damn they are expensive for about the same speaker that axiom and monitor audio sells. So those are the two i was really thinking about.

Silver Member

Atlanta, GA US

Post Number: 211
Again, the Denon "brightness" issue is myth that has been passed along from some Denon bashers/ HK/seperates Zealots and now seems to accepted as fact. Read what the pro's say:

"Its sound was on the smoother side and had a lightly rolled off top end, so if you are sick of brightness in your system, ear-bleeding due to harsh-sounding CDs or DVDs, or general fatigue, then this receiver might be a great solution for you." -Audiophile Audition

"Strongly mid ranged, rich textures, darker personality, treble slightly rolled off." Sound and Vision.

"refinement, weight with warmth, " - What HiFi

"If I had to sum up the sound in a word, it would be refined. Not overly aggressive yet powerful enough to cope with all the peaks and troughs of modern soundtracks. For an AV receiver, the 3805 is extremely musical with no noticeable musical bias."

You will find also if you go on the Axiom forums, more Axiom owners own Denon than any other receiver.

Go to Audioholics and look at the bookshelf speaker comparison that included Monitor Audio, Paradigm Studio 40, and a few other high end speakers, and the Axiom M22 before you decide to shell out $$$. Sure, if money were no object, I might spring for the Monitor Audio or Paradigm Studio 40's (most likely the latter).

Gold Member

Post Number: 4510
Robert,

here's an interesting speaker shopping thread you might want to read:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=591331&page=1&pp=30

Silver Member

Atlanta, GA US

Post Number: 212
Robert,

If you get the M60's, you can actually bi-amp them, not just merely bi-wire them, by running a second set of wires off your Zone 3 amp section. follow this link to see how:

Http://www.audioholics.com/productreviews/avhardware/Denon-AVR3805_review04.php

I plan on getting the M60's soon and doing bi-amping off my 3805. I have aleady made my own speaker cables using Canare Star-quad cable, which consists of 4 twisted strands of 14 gauge wire which will allow me to do that.
http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/speaker/index.htm

Post Number: 6
Appreciate all the info here. I have been getting hits telling me to start looking at the rockets line. So i started doing that. Those speakers look like a pretty go speaker. Was looking at the rs750 or rs760. Has anyone been using any of these or be able to compare them to the axiom m60's? It looks like the axiom and the rockets look like a bit of a better speaker than the monitor audio. Although both of those are more expensive than those monitors.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us