Cabling to play mp3 files from computer to onkyo receiver

Username: Jeffaz

Post Number: 2
not sure where to post this...

I just bought a new computer and upgraded the sound card to the Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic 7.1 and also have a Onkyo 7.1 home receiver.
I have hooked the computer upto my home stereo system but can not get true surround sound. I am using the digital setting on the card, and the coax input on the onkyo. All speakers work but it seems to work more in a left/right mode. I am using a 12ft standard audio cable with a Y adapter red/white coax connection. So, plugging into the Onkyo I only use the red coax. Do they make a digital cable that has a standard audio jack on one end, and only one coax on the other end? I can't find this, and am wondering if this has anything to do with my problem, that my coax cable has 2 connectors, but i am only using the red. I am pretty much lost here, have no real experience in trying to setup a new home audio to PC system. Anyone have any recommendations?

Bronze Member
Username: Edwarl

Melbourne, Victoria Australia.

Post Number: 46
Jeff, do you mean 'surround' sound which in my opinion needs 4 speakers and 4 channel amp, or stereo sound which of course uses 2 and 2 as above ?
How many small 'phone jacks out of your sound card? Each would have 2 channels.
Re the y-adaptor, is it a small 'phone - audio jack - plug (male into the sound card) to 2 RCA (co-ax) sockets to go to the lead. If you get me ??
If so I would think that the RCA sockets on the y-adaptor should be coloured red and white and with the lead, both red and white go in to them as indicated.
Do you know if the 'digital' setting on the card refers to its output or its input ??
I would think you would want digital in and analogue out set on the card. The info with the card should tell you that
Come back if still troubled .
Laurie.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us