Need guidance please - re avr 335 and speakers

Username: Fishairflow

Post Number: 2
Hello guys...I currently have denon 682 receiver and found following two receivers I don't have a clue as to what to do...
1. HK335 open box for US $ 219 slightly bruised
2. Yamaha 5860 open box for US $ 130 - almost brand new

Both are available with extended warranty. So here is my delima.....
I have the following speakers.

1. Bose vcs10
Product Features
Center channel speaker for your home theater system components
Articulated Array speaker design
Compound Loaded drivers
Technical Details

Priced as : Each
Dimensions main (height x width x depth, inches) : N/A
Dimensions Center (height x width x depth, inches) : 3.3 x 21.1 x 6
Dimensions Rear (height x width x depth, inches) : N/A
Dimensions subwoofer(height x width x depth, inche : N/A
Design : Articulated Array design
Bass driver(s) : Unavailable
Midrange driver(s) : Four 2 1/2" full range compound loaded
Tweeter driver(s) : Unavailable
Subwoofer driver(s) : N/A
Power handling : 100 Watts
Amplifier power (in watts) : N/A
Nominal impedance (in ohms) : 4 to 8
Efficiency (spl @ 1 watt/1 meter) : Unavailable
Shielded for video use : Yes
Speaker wire connect type : Push

2. Klipsch SLX as front speakers
400 watts peak power handling (100 watts RMS) @ 8 ohms

Features two 4-1/2" magnetically shielded neodymium woofers

1" aluminum dome K-138 neodymium tweeter in a round 3-3/8" Tractrix horn

3. DENON satelite speakers as the 2 back speakers
SC-70C - 6 ohm speakers 2 way reflex speaker system

My question is that
a. which one is a good receiver
b. would the HK 335 receiver do the "clipping" thing with the Klipsch slx speakers?
c. My subwoofer (6 inches - 55 watts) - would it be damaged by the too much power of HK 335?
d. I have an option to buy JBL Sub10 10 inch 250 watts at about US $ 150 - should I go for it???

please please guys...any guidance - I would be very grateful!
thanks...

Bronze Member
Username: Pedrin

Post Number: 43
HELO

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 927
I would get the HK. Now, I don't know the vendor, so who knows what shape an "open box" receiver is in. It may be very good or it may show some age because it was really a demo model and the vendor isn't being truthful about it (that happened to me once).

Nevertheless, HK is one of the honest brands. Yamaha is not. HK will rate their receivers and you can trust their ratings. The same cannot be said of Yamaha since they put in very undersized power supplies in their receivers. If the receiver is rated at 100 wpc, expect it to drop to around 55, at best, if you drive a 5.1 system. The HK is conservatively rated at 55 wpc and will probably do 5-10% better than that. You see, you are hung up on power ratings expressed in watts and that is a very misleading figure. What matters is electrical current, which is expressed in amps, not watts. Ask any owner of a tube amplifier how much power he has and it will be less than 10 wpc, probably about 5-7. Yet, that tube amp delivers more current to the speakers, so it sounds audibly more powerful.

Additionally, Yamahas are rather bright sounding, which means they have an elevated frequency response in the upper midrange (2-4kHz). That is a bad combo for your Bose or Klipsch speakers, both of which have the same trait. The result could easily be a system that is very bright and hard to listen to (induces "listener fatigue"). I once had a system like this and after two songs, I would generally turn the whole sytem off as it just wasn't any fun to listen to. That is a pretty stupid state of affairs to have so much money into an audio system that you don't listen to.

Unless you have an enormous room and you pushed your amp really hard, the HK is not going to clip when playing the Klipsch--stop worrying about it. In fact, the 55 wpc of the HK will sound audibly more powerful than the 100 wpc Yamaha, or your Denon. I can guarantee that.

So, I hope this helps you. If I have totally confused you, just know you need to get an HK!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us