Would klipsch synergy SLX work with HK AVR 335?

Username: Fishairflow

Post Number: 1
or would I be underpowering them?
You see - these are selling for 300 US $ at Bestbuy and I got these for 60 US $ (open box) - so I want to keep ther speakers - and currently I havd denon 1602 avr - which is good but from an newbie - and illeterate point of view - that is no match for avr 335.

Please tell me if the price and the matching is correct???
thanks you guys

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 930
Don't get hung up on HK's low power rating--it has more than enough power for those speakers. Not only that, but HK is an excellent match for Klisch speakers, from a sound perspective.

Post Number: 3
thanks for replying hawk...is the price good for a open box - display unit (was at circuit city - and for 20 US $ - I can get a 3 year replacememnt warranty)

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 3995
kalia, klipch speakers could be powered by a potato(thanks Jan).
The H/K's delivery will be seamless. Note of caution, the klipsch delivery really is a love it/hate it type of thing.

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1810
There is really no such thing as a minimum power requirement for speakers. However the potential outcome from using a much less powerful amplifier are (1) pushing the amp beyond its limits, leading to clipping and blowing the speaker tweeters and (2) not reaching the full loudness (SPL) potential of the speakers. In this case, we're not talking a huge difference in power anyway, and thus a very small difference in loudness (SPL). You'd be surprised how little power you use in everyday situations.

The h/k is fine with the Klipsch.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4009
yup!

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 932
kalia:

Seeing the price at Best Buy at $314 each, if I read your post right that you got them for $60, I would say, yeah, that is a pretty good deal! I assume that was $60 for each? How many did you get? Will this be a stereo setup or are you planning to do a HT (5.1)?

You know, you got hung up on the wrong spec. I checked again and those speakers are rated 400 watts max (peak), but only 100 watts continuous. More importantly, the speaker's sensitivity is 95 db!!! That may be the highest sensitivity rating I have ever seen. That means with a 1 watt signal, the speaker puts out 95 db sound, which is pretty loud. So that HK will be a lot of receiver for those speakers.

One other suggestion. This is not to imply that there is anything wrong with those speakers, but they do not go very deep into the bass region. I think they are rated down to 92 Hz, which is above the THX standard of 80Hz, so you will appreciate a good subwoofer to match those speakers.

Good luck!

Post Number: 4
I was going to post another topic....which is - here is the very difficult question.
GIVEN the speakers I got for 60 $ each - and I will not let go of them -
should i get one fo the following receivers -
1. HK 635 open box US $ 369
2. HK 335 open box US $ 219
3. Yamaha 5860 open box US $ 120

Believe me - all are display models and don't look that bad...I was thinking if 635 is a good deal - I should go with that....adn that way the whole clipping business will be out of question...

AND LET ME SAY THIS AGAIN - I never in my wildest dreams imagined that this kind of support will be available on forums...so many people with so much knowledge....
thanks you guys..

Post Number: 5
hawk...you are right....
I JUST PICKED UP A SUBWOOFER JBL venue 10 " - for 180 US $ - brand new - at bestbuy.....I don't know how to set it up - there is a 50 to 150 Hz dial on the back - which I have no clue what it does.
Another thing - yes the slx was 60 bucks a peice.
And they are in a HT set up - for the back (surround) speakers - I have these two regular ones that came with home theater in a box from denon - I don't even know the watts on it - and I think it was about 70 - can't find them online or the denon's website. (the HT was 682 xp).

This is getting expensive...but lets see.

If anyone here wants to pick up these items - they should go to best buy as they are starting the magnolia Home theater - adn they have put out a lot of stuff for a really good price...

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 4495
Of those 3 choices I'd jump on the HK 635.

Pairing a low-level Yamaha with Klipsch is NOT a good idea unless you have hearing loss above 10KHz.

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1825
the speaker's sensitivity is 95 db!!! That may be the highest sensitivity rating I have ever seen.

Not familiar with Klipsch speakers in general, huh? Or any other horn-loaded speakers. ;-)
The Klipsch Jubilee is rated at 110 dB AFAIK.

This is not to imply that there is anything wrong with those speakers, but they do not go very deep into the bass region. I think they are rated down to 92 Hz

You misread that, but not by much. It's 82 Hz at -3 dB, which is still very high. I'd definately use a sub with them.

1. HK 635 open box US $ 369
2. HK 335 open box US $ 219

Man, I want to live where you live! Those are amazing prices! In Canada, the avr-140 retails for C$700 and the avr-340 is on sale for C$1000.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4028
It kills me too, PG.
Seeing prices like that is brutal, our Canuck Buck is better now, but by the time the stuff gets here, sheesh.

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1827
It doesn't make any sense at all... The really irritating part is when discount places in the US don't ship to Canada.

Post Number: 8
If it makes you feel better - these are display units...if you want - I can get one and put it on ebay and then ship it to you...

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1829
:-)

Thanks. I'll let you know if needed. I haven't had news from the shop yet about my repair job.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us