Will my old Kenwood Kr-v7040 benefit from a JBL S120P II?

Username: Tgurley

Post Number: 1
Hello all,

I have a tired old Kenwood receiver which has pulled its weight for years but I recently got the green light from my wife to either replace it or purchase a sub. I would prefer a Sub since we currently dont have one, and the sub I want is the JBL S120P II. The Kenwood does not have a LFE out, so I would be using the JBL sub's crossover.

Given that my understanding is limited, I was hoping someone could tell me if this set up would be worth the effort, or at this point am I wasting my time with the Kenwood?

Thanks in advance!
Thomas

Panasonic TH-42PD50U
Kenwood KR-V7040
JBL E80
JBL E35

Bronze Member
Username: Pedrin

Post Number: 40
HELO everyone

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1808
If the receiver doesn't decode Dolby Digital or DTS, then you are not going to be pulling out the LFE signal to send to the sub while watching movies. If you are buying the sub to enjoy LFE content in movies, then you will be disappointed in the result.

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the quick reply! Ok, so if I want a receiver that will get me by and produce a decent movie watching experience, what would you recommend?

I was looking at a refurbished ONKYO TXSR503 7.1 Home Theater Receiver 75W x 7ch, selling for just under $200. I imagine that would pretty much have to be my price range. Any suggestion? Thanks again.

Thomas

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1814
Or maybe a refurb h/k avr-135 for US$248 at www.harmanaudiooutlet.com, but yeah, you've got the idea...

Post Number: 3
Im already falling in love with www.harmanaudiooutlet.com, thanks for the link. I probably wont run video through the receiver, so in your opinion should I go with the AVR 135 or the AVR 220? They are the exact same price. Appreciate all the help.

Thomas
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us