Harman Kardon is haunting me

Bronze Member
Username: S_jones

B.C. Canada

Post Number: 19
A few months ago, I was intent on buying a HK AVR635, but after ordering on-line from J&R and subsequently being told they were out of stock, I was unable to find the 635 at a comparable price.

Yesterday, I finally gave up on the idea of a HK and was all set to go out and purchase the more reasonably priced Yamaha RXV659B, which has some cool features, and also has phono inputs. It's priced at $650 Canadian.

Then all of a sudden another local retailer has a sale on the HK AVR 340. They usually sell for $1299 Canadian but are now priced at $999 for clearance.

So now I can't make up my mind which receiver to go with. Definitely price is a big issue, as $999 is still quite steep. I have Polk Audio RTi8s, used primarily for music. Is the AVR 340 a big step up from the Yamaha model I mentioned in terms of sound quality, enough so to justify shelling out an extra $350?

Oh, the angst! lol

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3524
The HK may have less features but will sound better. The HK power supplies are enough better to justify the difference in price. Whether you want to spend the extra is up to you. I have one of the predecessors to the RXV659B (RXV657)....it makes a great AM/FM/XM tuner.

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1800
h/k receivers are very expensive in Canada for some reason. I bought one (refurb) from ecost.com for about half the price of a new one after shipping and taxes. Something to consider anyway. Look for borderfree.com affiliated sites.

Bronze Member

B.C. Canada

Post Number: 20
I have been keeping my eye on various on-line retailers, but haven't seen any reasonable prices. There is a seller who lives in my area selling refurbs on ebay but I'm quite wary of buying from just anyone on-line. Are there any reputable refurb sellers you can recommend?

I'm thinking that maybe the Yamaha will be enough power for me as I can't listen at loud volumes as I live in an apartment. Also, the one thing I don't like about the HK is that they supposedly get very hot.

Anyway, thanks to you both. I'm still mulling over my options.

Bronze Member

B.C. Canada

Post Number: 21
This is the HK selling on ebay that I was referring to (it's an AVR435):

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Harman-Kardon-AVR-435-7-1-Channel-Home-Theater-Receiver_W0QQi temZ270022613805QQihZ017QQcategoryZ39794QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

How can it possibly sell for such a low price? I'm wondering it it's not a genuine HK receiver...just some cheap knockoff, perhaps?

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 3978
Open the case and it is a box full of used pinball machine parts.

Jonesy, check a dealer.

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1802
What low price? The bidding isn't over yet...

Gold Member

Post Number: 3985
OK Pete, we wait for the Fat Lady...
I go for beer...

Gold Member

Post Number: 3986
humming the tune from 'jeopardy'...

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 923
Jonesy:

HK sells most of the factory refurbs through eBay, and the HK receiver you found on that site is a refurb. Now, the idea of buying gear that isn't "new" turns a lot of people off, but I get alot of refurbed gear and have not had a problem yet. Industry figures show that the rate of return for problems in refurbs is 1/20th the rate for new gear. I look at it this way--refurbs are new product that have been through QC twice.

Buying refurbs does give you a wonderful opportunity to get the gear you want at a price you can afford. If you really want that model HK, I say go for it (on eBay).

Happy bidding!

Bronze Member

B.C. Canada

Post Number: 22
OK, but how does an unauthorized dealer get hold of these refurbs to sell? This seller seems to have an endless supply of HK 435s...as soon as one is sold, another is listed. Just makes me wonder.

Bronze Member
Username: Pedrin

Post Number: 42
HELO everyone

Silver Member

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 928
Jonesy:

I guess I am not making myself clear enough. The units I am talking about are actually being sold by Harman/Kardon directly from their factory service facility. They are not an unauthorized seller (obviously!). Simply look on eBay for Harman Kardon under "Consumer Electronics." When you see a listing with a big blue box on th eleft that says "Harman Kardon Direct" rather than a picture of the item on the listings page, it is factory direct. Go to the page and under "Item Condition" it will say "Refurbished" rather than "Used" or "New".

Now, these are all items that have been returned to HK for one reason or another. If they were fixable, the are fixed and put up for auction on eBay. To be fixable, it has to be something minor, like a bad channel which may simply have the bad output card pulled and replaced. They do not rebuild the receiver, or resell something that was under water in Hurricane Katrina--it simply isn't economical. So someone else's minor problem is solved and you can get the item for 35-50% off. What's more, I believe they do come with a one year warranty.

I have done very well with refurbs and I believe it is a great way to go.

Silver Member

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 929
One more thing. I know of a lot of authorized dealers that sell their excess inventory on eBay, often using the sales manager's personal account on eBay to do it. Here in the Denver area, one of the largest and most prestigeous dealers is ListenUp, and I have purchased stuff through eBay and ended up going down to their store or warehouse to pick up the item I won. So, even if it isn't Harman direct, that doesn't mean it isn't an authorized dealer.

Use the e-mail feature on eBay to ask if they are an authorized dealer and if the product comes with a manufacturer's warranty. If they lie about it, you do have some recourse through eBay.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4001
Buying offa ebay is a toss of the dice, I figgur.
Factory direct for anything is a-ok. Or any aknowledged re-seller is the same.
I have always been of 2 minds(neither HQ) about the re-furb/re-sell market. I have not bought this way BTW, so I am not really qualified.
I always buy fron a dealer, in a real store, and always spend somr time feeling the guuy out and bouncing ideas and opinions offa him/her.

However, if you know what you want, and can find it, the purchase becomes an elementary decision, based on solid research, qualifying factors and good reports back from others who have some experience.
Hawk is the prime example. Edster is also experienced.

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1807
Hawk, his listing wasn't from HK Direct. They don't sell to Canada. It was from another Canadian seller.

Are we sure that they ar not authorised?

Bronze Member

B.C. Canada

Post Number: 23
I e-mailed the seller a few days ago asking where he receives his inventory, but have received no reply yet.

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1813
I see that the last auction ended at US$530, which is indeed a very good price for such a refurb. If my avr-325 doesnet make it out of the shop with a reasonable price tag, I might actually buy of these myself.

Username: Hank_hill

Post Number: 9
S.E.Jones,

Unfortunately, HK is so overpriced here in Canada that there's usually a better alternative at an equivalent price point (e.g. Marantz SR4600 ~ $600CAD, SR5600 ~ $800CAD, NAD T743/CA 540R ~ $900CAD). You may still be able to get a Yamaha rxv1400 or rxv2400 for a substantial discount as well. With the relatively high Canadian dollar, the Outlaw 1070 is reasonable as well at $900US or $1000CAD + duties + shipping.

If you're stuck on HK I would recommend paying the local Price Club/Costco a visit. I haven't seen them recently, but they used to sell the AVR435 model for, I believe, C$799 --- no Canadian warranty, but you can just return the unit at any time for a full refund. They also have an online store now at costco.ca.

Best of luck,
Hank

Silver Member

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 934
Jonesy:

Here is a new listing on Audiogon that may interest you. Looks like a very good price:

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?miscrcvr&1161876860

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1819
h/k at Costco huh? Very interesting info... Thanks!

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1820
I have the receiver that Hawk found on audiogon (h/k avr-325). I like it quite a bit except for the fact that it's in the shop. It's a good price except for the fact that it's across the border. But shipping it via USPS than onto Canada Post shouldn't be too bad, since the declared value will be low (you'd be paying both provincial tax and GST on it).

Gold Member

Post Number: 4026
And the 6% duty, which is charged AFTER the fargin taxes! Doh!

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1826
5% duty, charged before taxes (so taxes apply to that as well).

For example, an h/k avr-340 from ecost.com shipped to me in Canada is

Subtotal: US$566.69 / CAD 679.19
Shipping: CAD 55.47
Duty: CAD 33.96
Excise Tax: CAD 0.00
Tax: CAD 42.79

TOTAL: CAD 811.41

The rib on the above is that the conversion rate works out to 83 cents instead of 90 cents! Still, the same receiver retails for C$1300 plus taxes and is currently in sale for C$1000 plus taxes, or C$1140, at Future Shop. Getting t from the US is almost 30% off the sale price.

Bronze Member

B.C. Canada

Post Number: 24
Thanks for the link, Hawk. Is there a bidding process on Audiogon?

I went and listened to the Yamaha receiver yesterday, but it's so hard to evaluate the sound when you're listening in the store environment on their equipment. It had a crisp sound but lacked the "oomph" I was looking for. Again, that could be entirely attributable to the listening environment.

Peter, I've noticed that too about the exchange rate when getting prices for shipping from the U.S. Seems we Canucks have to pay an extra surcharge. Bah! :P

Silver Member

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 936
The only bidding on Audiogon is if it is listed as an "Auction"; otherwise, like the listing I found and posted here, that is the selling price and it is up to the buyer to e-mail the seller to inform them they will agree to the price.

I have used Audiogon and in fact, on occasion I have offered less than the offering price (but not substantially less, like another 20% off. I think that would be a bit cheeky. Just offered to buy if the seller would pick up the shipping charges or to round it out to an even #, things like that). The seller usually agrees.

I much prefer the Audiogon experience since you don't have that frenzy of bidding as the auction is about to close, which can often take the bid price to above the cost of the unit new from a retailer (I have watched that happen twice tonight on a couple of items I was tracking).

Silver Member
Username: Praetorian

Canada

Post Number: 404
Holy crap guys! Do not pay MORE than 400 - 500$ for a 340.

BTW, do not confuse "generations" with "tiers" (yes I made both caegories up). Pour example: A HK AVR markes avec un nombre comme 3,4, ou 6 are across the board, so all generations will have the same, to be more recent however, you have to look at the second digit, i.e. 2,3 or 4 (pour example). SO, in other word, the HK AVR 630, 635, and 645 (whatever else math gets you from this) are all different generations of the same model. Cheers.

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1837
Michael,

Tu mA©langes les langues dans ton post ! ;-)

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 407
I was drinking.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4037
Tabernac!

Silver Member

Canada