Moving Vinyl to CD or Storage Device

Silver Member
Username: Mike3

Lewisville, Tx USA

Post Number: 104
Yes I am aware of the CD-Recorder section but I would rather have this audience to work with so I am posting here instead.

Frank_abela had posted on an eCoustics forum "Are the publications really wrong????"; "Add to this that nowadays you can get yourself a hard disc recorder with 250Gig (about 500 CDs with no compression) or more in a standard sized box for less money and you'll see that changers are not likely long for this world."

I am trying to work out something with my analog, to copy it to CDs via my PC using 44.1/192hz file transfer via a M-Audio card that is to be put into my PC. I just bought the card and I have not done anything yet as the M-Audio card is still in its sealed box. Frank's post has me wondering if there is something else I could use, not a Squeezebox or something like John A. identified on a separate thread as I do not want to use any compression, but also something not as expensive as a transporter;

http://www.slimdevices.com/

The device I envision would enable me to copy directly analog (or CD I suppose) source material to and then either use it as a stand alone media source or eventually burn a high quality CD from it? Of course I may have to be able to slot the M-Audio card into it if it does not pass data at the speed the M-Audio does.

That would help me in 3 ways; first I would have a CD quality juke box device of my albums which if I do it right, would be fatter sounding than my CDs of the same source material; second I would have the ability for the same media in a portable format; and 3rd, I would not have to move my computer / monitor / keyboard / mouse / internet connection to where my turntable is. Due to my power transformer and separate line conditioner, moving the turntable is not feasible. Just the whole idea of employing my PC to do this does not appeal to me on several levels.

I had run the first part of this idea on another thread and since I do not want to hi-jack anybody's thread I thought I would start a new one with this.

This is actually Nuck's idea, as he knows in my previous foray with turntables I used to single play LPs and copy them to cassette. He asked why I wasn't doing that now, only copying them to CDs. My primary focus is to maintain the "analog" sound of my LPs on whatever media I copy to. Also, if it is not abundantly clear, I am not looking for MP3 type of results.

P.S. If it makes any difference, I do have an external DVD burner for my PC already.

Silver Member
Username: Ravbains

MelbourneAustralia

Post Number: 258
Hi Michael,

don't think I can add much useful, but I find your post very interesting.

I assume that the M-Audio card has a ADC on-board? Since this component will be key in determining the quality of results you achieve.

BTW the TASCAM digital DSD recorder you mentioned is a very well reviewed item. I have read glowing reviews on this machine, in the semi-pro/musician type press. I also read a review of this machine in a US audiophile magazine, I forget which magazine, since I was reading the mag at Borders. But the audiophile magazine, rated the TASCAM very highly as a recorder, but I vaguely recall that the playback electronics were not so highly rated. Also they said when the TASCAM is used as a CD player it was just ordinary. I forget the details, but I assume they used a high-end universal player to playback the DSD recordings they made on the TASCAM. I recall also, during the review, that the machine was used make recordings of a very very expensive turntable.

I will dig around and see if I can find a reference/link of this review for your.

But, I am not recommending the TASCAM to you, since it is quite a pricey place to start. They sell for about $1500 AUD in my locale.

cheers
Rav

P.S. I read your vinyl posts with interest, but I must say I was a little disappointed that you did not buy a Rega P3. I say this only since the P3/RB300 has lots and lots of mods and tweaks available, both from UK and USA based companies. In fact some of the best I have seen, come from the US based Groovetracer company.

Check this out, this stuff is really cool!!!

http://www.groovetracer.com/product_groove_tracer.htm

Silver Member

Lewisville, Tx USA

Post Number: 105
Rav,

Jeez I just hate that. I buy this M-Auido Audiophile 192 so I can transfer analog from my turntable to my PC. At the store yesterday I'm telling the salesperson that I need RCA inputs for my turntable and he's telling me this has that, I'm telling him no, it appears that they are digital co-axial inputs. Yes there are analog inputs, for like from my guitar or guitar amp, ¼ " TRS. This kid is telling me he is a sound engineer and then he can't get this right! Good thing the store is on my way to wherever. Anyway Rav, I realize this while trying to verify the ADC, thank you.

But I have to admit, after listening to Outlaws -- "The Outlaws" last track "Green Grass & High Tides", at Nucklike blaring levels on my turntable, I now realize what Rock & Roll heaven could be playing for me when I visit. The bands joy of playing came right through my speakers. Knowing this, it will be virtually impossible for me to single play most records. I will probably play this one into the ground. However it will still be nice to have the copies on a storage device so I do not have to lend my albums out never to be returned, I can just burn one, or if I just want to be in the house listening to music and not tending to the player whilst pre-occupied with something else.

As to the turntable; since I never did more than replace a needle or put a penny on the tonearm in my previous life with turntables (the pennies were in me early teen years, before I discovered 8 track), I wanted to keep this foray into vinyl simple for now. There are no options I need to work with right now on my turntable. I realize that if ever get intelligent about this I will be looking into, cartridges, tonearms, and platters. For now I will accept my player as is.

Having said that I will now do a complete 180. I am going to demo a second turntable this week. No I am not thinking upgrading already but this one came available just after I returned with the one I bought in Chicago and very well good be a superior table at an equally reasonable price (used and on consignment at a local dealer). Either way it gives me an excuse to listen to LPs and 45s for hours upon hours over the next week.

P.S. I mentioned single playing records to cassette, I also single played records to Sony Beta tapes, my idea of a reel to reel set up. Too bad VHS won that battle.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 3907
Hey Mike.
Hhttp://www.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=1&subcategory=208&product= 14065 how about this?

Silver Member

Lewisville, Tx USA

Post Number: 106
I'll check into it since I'm returning the M-Audio 192. Thanks Nuck

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 3909
Thats the one in my new pc(arrival this week) to digital out to the DAC.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us