Subwoofer size advice needed

Username: Someguy03

Post Number: 1
OK, I am looking to find out what subwoofers are crap and what are not (and what is good for my massive room)

My setup is this:

Area: 25'x23' garage
Projector: 16:9 Sanyo Projector (10' screen)
Reciever: Pioneer VSX-816 7.1 Channel Surround Sound Receiver (770 watts supposedly)
Speakers:
Fronts: 4 foot Technics (extremely good in my opinion)
http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/4725/p1010004hf5.jpg
Rears: Klipsch KSB 1.1
http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/3480/ksbex1.jpg
Sides: Jensen J052W
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00005LAC5.01._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_V57223248_.jpg

You can see that my garage is much bigger than an ordinary room. A man is offering me a 400watt Athena as-p4000 downfiring subwoofer . Would it be too small for my garage?
http://ec3.images-amazon.com/images/P/B0009WRUZ2.01.PT01._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_V5722 5023_.jpg

specs of the sub: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009WRUZ2

Silver Member
Username: Eib_nation

Ohio EIBville

Post Number: 106
Kyle,
The biggest challenge you are going to have is getting the acoustics in your garage to where they're tolerable. A garage will take a ton of work, and you'll have your hands full treating the acoustics to where it would sound halfway reasonable. You're going to have plenty of major echos to absorb in a room like that.

What steps are you planning to convert your garage into an acoustically pleasing soundroom?

Post Number: 2
To help with the bouncing and echoing and what not, I just put in a soft ceiling and carpet. Could you expand more on what you mean by "treating the acoustics" ?
Luckily my reciever came with a mic that i can plug in that auto sets the distance/levels for the speakers, so that saved me alot of trouble in terms of configuring my surround sound.

Username: Csjumper2003

Post Number: 1
One sub in a downfiring box might be ok but honestly for a surround sound sub that isn't what you want

Silver Member
Username: Eib_nation

Ohio EIBville

Post Number: 107
Kyle,
Since you are building a dedicated HT, you'll want to read about treating room acoustics. Treating your room acoustics will dramatically improve the quality & clarity of your HT response. This is one of many sources of info on the subject.
http://www.ethanwiner.com/acoustics.html
This is a very important aspect of any listening room, and it goes largely ignored by many audiophiles because the subject overwhelms them. The more you read and learn, the more daunting and scientific the task becomes. If you subscribe to the KISS approach, it will keep you from becoming frustrated and doing nothing. There are basic treatment principles that apply to every room.

1.Bass traps in every corner permitted by room layout.
2.Acoustic panels at first reflection points on walls.

In a garage, treatment can be fairly basic, and I recommend keeping it simple and applying basic principles. You can make the process as complex or simple as you make it while drastically improving your sound.

Good luck!

PS
I wouldnt go with that sub either.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 4475
kyle,

That Athena P4000 is a fine sub for a small room esp. for music, but your room is huge and your use seems to be mainly HT. So I'd look into a 12" sub, or at the very least a 10" SVS PB10 and be sure to position it in a corner for maximum effect.

I don't know what your budget is, if it's very limited then a good 12" sub that often gets recommended on these audio forums is the Acoustech H-100 which goes for around $250. You can also get the Athena P6000 for about the same price from audioadvisor.com and it's also a 12" sub.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1600
Either way, you're more likely to appreciate two smaller subs (or more) than one big sub. The larger sub may be more capable than smaller subs, but it will be far more difficult to get even coverage. Far better to have two subs in either stereo front left and right locations, or symmetric front centre and back centre locations for the most even coverage. The best would be 4 subs but then there is an economic issue that kicks in.

Your garage is big but it's not so big as to cause too much concern. Provided the subs go deep and clean, you should be OK. Good subs include Velodyne's SPL series, M&K's MX7000SF and a myriad of others. You'll note that the ones I mentioned above are quite different in spec but always fairly small physically (which is a bonus since the smaller the cabinet, the less the colouration). The Velodyne SPL series use a 1000w class D amp and 8" or 10" long-excursion drive units. The M&K 7000 uses a 150w class B amp with two 8" 'SuperFast' drivers in a quasi isobarik arrangement. Both good, both effective.

Regards,
Frank.

Silver Member
Username: Praetorian

Canada

Post Number: 375
Crap Frank, I wanted to say that. If it makes a difference, I support the multiple sub option, either 2 or 4. http://www.snapbug.ws/ht is a decent example of a dedicated DIY HT project. Might be a good idea to get some pointers.

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 376
He uses 2 SVS PB12-PLUS subs.

Username: Jamoson

Lancaster, PA USA

Post Number: 5
It depends on what you are trying to accomplish. Do you want it loud? Do you want it accurate? Do you want it cheap? What are your goals. Look into the Definative Technology Subs. The Supercube series are axcellent as far as sound quality. Klipsch makes some really loud subs that are not necessarily accurate but loud and affordable. Of course I don't even know what your budget is.Its not as much size as power. Take Bob Carvers Sunfire subs for instance, 2700 watts really pounds, yet the box is tiny.I guess I would want more info from you to be able to suggest a solution.

Post Number: 3
Most of my setup is from craigs list. I was able to get alot of it for extremely low prices from people. I'm buying a very nice 300$ back in the day Klipsch center for only 50$ on craigs list today. Thats an example. I'm the kind of guy who waits around hoping he will find something really good for really cheap.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 3933
Ahh..Ed's public.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4485
why I beg your pardon Mr. Nuck, I've never bought any audio gear off Craig's List!!!

I woulda if I coulda found some good deals on good stuff though. But in my city the CL sellers are nuts, like one guy who keeps trying to sell his old Athena F2s for more than audioadvisor.com charges for brand new ones!

Gold Member

Post Number: 3936
That CL is really up and down, seems like fishing sometimes. No offence intended, Ed.
Just the 'really good for really cheap' part rang a bell.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4486
well what can I say Nuck, I always enjoy a challenge.

Anybody can manage "really good for lots of dough" --- it's the "really good for not so much" that's more of a challenge.

And like I've said before, as an audio enthusiast not an audiophile, I now have a much more realistic idea of just how much quality I actually need.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3941
Agreed! And a good thing to know.

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 384
Speaking of Craig's List, is 900$ a good price for a brand new, in-the-box NAD c372?

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 385
That's Canadian funds btw, which is getting closer and closer to US nowadays...

Gold Member

Post Number: 3983
Canuck bucks are gaining value, even as our prestige falls. Americanization? Naw.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us