Good sub amp

Silver Member
Username: Troy81

Tavernier, Fl Us

Post Number: 970
im more of a car audio guy and ive got an 18 sub sittin around and im gonna build a big box and tune it for SQ and i was wondering what amp should i get? i need about 200rms, i dont really know much about home audio amps but im pretty sure i want an equalizer too, but i can only spend like 150 bucks, ill use ebay if you can please help

Silver Member

Tavernier, Fl Us

Post Number: 971
its 4 ohms

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 10212
Sorry, Troy, not for that budget.

There is not a lot of power amps in the market that can drive a 4 ohm speaker for that amount of money. If you can get a pro amp from e-bay then try that.

Even if you use a car amp, it will cost you more just to get the proper power supply.

The best thing to do is sell the sub and use the money you have for building the box and the $150 and use towards a powered sub for home use.

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 892
Troy:

I suggest this one:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=300-750

That is on the PartExpress website which caters to DIY, especially for speaker builders. If you want to build a subwoofer, this is a site you need to become familiar with as they can supply everything you need.

Good luck!

Silver Member

Tavernier, Fl Us

Post Number: 981
well i found a 30 amp supply on ebay for like 105 after shipping and i know a guy that has it and hes happy, is 30 amps enough for 200-250rms? im not used to this low stuff im usually working with about 300 amps, also what do you think the preout voltage is on the TV

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9055

The pre out voltage from the TV will vary with volume unless you set the TV to output a fixed level. At which point it will probably be around 1 Volt. You should have that spec in your owner's manual. Fixed output into a sub isn't what you want. It would be fine if you're running through a HT receiver, but not direct from the TV. If you're running through a HT receiver, the output of the TV is mostly irrelevant.

As Hawk suggests, I would stick with a class D plate amp for a sub. It will run on 120VAC, have a filter for crossing over to the other speakers and a level set for matching to the other speakers. Class D or a "BASH" amp are what you will usually find in a commercial sub and work quite well for those applications. At $150 you won't get fancy EQ. Put "plate amplifier" in a search engine and see what looks good for the amount of cash you have to spend.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10292
Sorry Troy, I gave you bad advice:-(

You are now in better hands.

I guess the young 'uns trying to convert their Car Audio to Home Audio have a lot more options than I anticipated.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 3901
But still an awful idea.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10295
I've always been prejudiced toward the car audio to home audio conversion.

Silver Member

Tavernier, Fl Us

Post Number: 986
http://www.sensibleaudio.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=10775

good?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10318
Works...

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9059

What will you use as a crossover?

Silver Member

Tavernier, Fl Us

Post Number: 989
help!!!!haha, i tryed

Silver Member

Tavernier, Fl Us

Post Number: 990
oh, i just thought about it, wouldnt the rca for sub only put out the frequencys i want?
my tv has a subwoofer output

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9060

I don't know. Check your TV's owner's manual for the information regarding the sub output. You want to be able to adjust the crossover frequency from the TV. A set turnover point will make the system work but probably won't perform at it's best. Why not just buy a home theater receiver?

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9061

If I understand this correctly, you're planning on running an 18" subwoofer with the speakers inside the TV? Off the TV's 3 watt amplifier for the TV's speakers? Is there some logic there other than you just have the 18" driver laying around?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3912
Jan, if you understand correctly, I am confused as well.

Silver Member

Tavernier, Fl Us

Post Number: 999
haha okok, ive got a TV with a sub out put and 4 speaker out puts, my mom got my dad the speakers for xmas but theyre chirpyish and ive got an 18 sitting around and i figure ill hook it up in a huge box and get some bass notes, im gonna amp it with this :http://www.sensibleaudio.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=10775
if that will work and thats what my question is

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9063

It's not how I would spend my money, but that's not the question; is it?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10348
What was that about car audio converting to home audio????

Gold Member

Post Number: 3916
Still an awful idea.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us