How much difference does break-in really make?

Username: H3yn0w

Post Number: 10
I've got a new pair of totem sttafs. They are wonderfull but I find they are a bit shrill on the high end. In particular on vocal "S'sss" and drum crash/symbols. In these respects they are a tad harsh. How much will they warm up over time. With the change be very noticable?

(I am powering them with a NAD C352)

Silver Member
Username: Praetorian

Canada

Post Number: 363
In my OPINION the only thing breaking in is your ears, and after 48 hours you will become accustomed to the new sound. Soon there will be people posting here that it will take up to as long as 1400 hours (but most fall quite short of that) to properly "break-in" your speakers. Regardless of who is right or wrong (assuming the two theories are excusive), you should find that after extended play, probably MAX two weeks, this will not seem like an issue to you anymore.

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 364
*exclusive

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 365
Dew knot rust yore spell chequer.

Silver Member
Username: Gamerdude

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 131
Do not wrest your spell checker;)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Thanks for your comment Michael,

The totem website suggests about 80 hours of break-in for these speakers. Do you think thats just a saftey thing, or perhaps just a marketing thing?

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9046

Maybe it's an amplifier thing.

Bronze Member
Username: Jaw

Post Number: 34
Yoor speaker cables will affect the sound more than the brake-in period.

If the treble remains harsh to your ears, try taping a single sheet of tissue (kleenex) on the tweeter housing and let it drape over the driver.

This is a major technical innovation that works.

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 366
It's hard for me to say. There are probably some physical properties that do get worked over a bit after time. The more "moving parts" there is (i.e. the cones), the greater effect this will have. Whether or not these impact sonic performance in a discernible way is debatable. Personally I doubt this, but again, strictly an opinion.

As to whether this is a marketing ploy or something the Totem staff believe in, I cannot say. Intuitively I think this started as a marketing ploy (perhaps to extend past the retailers/governmental return policy). No matter what any store policy says you can return anything for a refund within the first 48 hours, but while I believe this is how the break-in concept started, it may very well be that the Totem company truly believes this is a factual phenomena.

Regardless, whether or not this is a human condition, or a physical one, I think after 80 hours you will be accustomed to it.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1593
80 - 100 hours for Sttafs to break in properly. That said, what you're describing could easily be a more basic problem - that you are more susceptible to treble and this combined with the Sttaf's metal dome tweeter is too much for you. Ensure you run them in by playing them constantly (even when not in the house) at an ordinary not quite room filling volume for a coupld of days. They should really loosen up within a week. At the moment they probably sound a little 'tight' and the treble could be a little over-emphasised. That said, they do use metal dome tweeters and anything that emphasises treble (which could easily be your CD player for all we know) will bring them on, although I would not normally call Sttafs bright.

Regards,
Frank.

Username: Jamoson

Lancaster, PA USA

Post Number: 2
Speakers definately have a break in period.The amount of time would depend on the actual construction of the speaker. Rubber surrounds become more plyable over time etc. The important thing is to make sure they sound good when you demo them in the store where they are hopefully broken in. Any legitamate Hi-Fi retailer should let you try the "broken in" Speakers in your enviroment to verify if there are discernable differences. I am assuming you did actually hear these speakers before you bought them.

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 370
"Assume" - makes an Azz of you and me.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
The speakers at the store sounded great, which is why I bought them. I will wait a few days and see if they round out a bit. Like I said, the brightness is very slight, so its not a huge deal.

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 372
Good luck Dan! Your equipment is excellent, and there is no reason for you NOT to enjoy the fruits of your labour. Sit back; kick your feet up (maybe pour a cognac if that is in your taste or supplement whichever beverage suits your fancy), then just merge with the ambience. ;-)

Username: Jamoson

Lancaster, PA USA

Post Number: 4
Ok Michael that incorrect spelling of Azz was hurtful and unfortunate and hurt me in a special place. As for you Dan D, I would ask your salesman to bring some broken in speakers to your place and A/B them or try them out for a couple days either way; win win. You, music, speakers, critical listening. Yayyyyyy
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us