Novice trying to set her daughter up with phono and tuner using Stereo Receiver

Username: Golde

Post Number: 1
I've a Pioneer SX-251R (vintage early 80's?) Stereo Receiver and a couple of Sherwood S8300 (max 80 W) speakers. I bought my daughter a turntable, and am attempting to put together an audio system for her.

I've not been able to find out whether this receiver has a built in amp.

Stupid question: Does this receiver require an amp?

Thanks for taking the time to reply with your expertise.

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 866
AM:

The model number you give suggests that this is a receiver, but it is possible that it could be a pre-amplifier (aka control amplifier). Receivers have an amplifier built in, pre-amps do not. You can confirm that this is a receiver by the presence of speaker outs, usually (for this vintage) represented by "spring clip" connectors on the back of the receiver (they have a spring loaded lever on the edge of a square plastic connector that you push to open the square to accept the wire). It is likely they are labeled "Speakers" or "Speaker Out" and they should be color coded red and black, as should the connections on the backk of the Sherwood speakers. It is also possible that they are "binding post" type connectors that you twist of open and close to accept the speaker wire. On Pioneers, they should still be colored red and black.

Make sure the same wire lead connects red to red and black to black and you have what you need to get some sound from the speakers.

I hope this helps.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 3860
AM, if the Pioneer has a selector anywhere for am/fm or 'band' it is a receiver and needs no amplifier.

Also this unit may have a big wide face with radio type numbers on it.

Post Number: 2
Thank you for your responses. To both yes...spring clips on back, and AM/FM. I've ensured leads connect red to red and black to black but no sound. Tried both turntable and radio reception (ground for turntable hooked up as well). Still no sound. I also tried my son's Pioneer receiver SX-1000BK, however no sound. I know these speakers work, I heard them before I bought them.

Re: Red-to-red, black to black. I considered the wire with the white stripe red and the other wire bearing no stripe black.

One other thing worthy of mention: Speaker impedance of 8 ohms; Receiver impedance of 8 to 16 ohms.

Any other advice?

Bronze Member
Username: Mike3

Lewisville, Tx USA

Post Number: 94
Is anything else plugged into the outlet you are using? Does that turn on? There could be a wall switch or if you are plugged into a power strip, a switch there which may need to be flipped to insure power is actively passing through the outlet.

Is there a mute button? Make sure it is not engaged. Have you set the input selector to tuner and then to turntable? If there is not antenna hooked up to the reciever you should still get static through your speakers from the tuner setting.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3863
be sure to try the tape monitor button, on/off

Post Number: 3
Hi everyone. Thanks again. No problem with power. No mute button. Selected input to either tuner, then phono. No static coming through speakers. No tape monitor button.

Tried earphones as well. No sound. Likely require amp, though I see sales of other component stereo using this Stereo Receiver as the source of power, do not have an additional amp.

What else could be wrong?

Silver Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 753
Nothing much that a replacement receiver or amp won't fix it seems. Not knowing about repair costs, you could take it to be tested, though I would think a replacement might be the best route, considering the vintage, rather than a fix, unless it's problem is something quite minor of course. Good luck.

Bronze Member

Lewisville, Tx USA

Post Number: 95
Volume control?

A/B or both Speaker Switch?

Tape 1 or Tape 2 button or selector option?

Record button or selector option?

When you used your son's Pioneer receiver, did he have other speakers connected that did put sound out? Have you tried those speakers on you receiver?

Silver Member

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 868
Check the speaker switch, and make sure that it is set to "A" if you used the "A" outputs on the back. Also, try some headphones to see if you hear some sound.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3868
We love helping a lady poster, you see...

Gold Member

Post Number: 3869
Here in Audio Geek-land

Bronze Member

Lewisville, Tx USA

Post Number: 96
yeah but we haven't really helped yet... :-(

Speaking which I am listening to Beatles - Help, original vinyl as I type this... :-)

Post Number: 4
Thanks a lot guys. Appreciate all your help. I found you by accident while looking for assistance. I love the site.

I put headphones into my son's receiver and received a tuner signal. (I don't know why I couldn't get anything with the phono the other night with the same receiver). I can't get anything with the new (2nd hand) receiver, so I'm going to take it back to the point of purchase. I double checked the Sherwood speakers on my old Kenwood component stereo and had no problems soooo...the speakers are OK.

I'm getting ready to move into a house after three years in an apartment. Can't wait to get my turntable hooked back up. Have many vinyls that await listening, including Beatles. Really looking forward to Pink Floyd.

I've bookmarked the site and will keep in touch.

atcha all later.

Thanks Again.

AM

Post Number: 5
Hi All: Silly me...I hadn't plugged the turntable into the AC adapter at the back of the amp, therefore amp was not pushing sound from the turntable. It now works!!! I should have known that from my current system.

Also, have decided to give the speakers to my boy as they are rated for 80 Watts, and my girl's amp is too big. My boy's amp is smaller (65 watts per channel) therefore better suited. I'll pick my girl up a bigger set.

Today also picked her up a CD deck for her system. Seems that I chanced on another Pioneer component to match her turntable and receiver. Works great.
Second hand stores are great places to frequent.

I'll never forget the day I had to teach my 15-year old son how to put a vinyl on the turntable, and how to play it. I think I was trying to prove to him that the Rap version of "Godzilla" really was a Blue Oyster Cult song, so I dug out the record.

Now the brats are gathering vinyls of their own.

What is it that Harry Chapin says? "All my life's a circle".

Atcha all later.

AM

Gold Member

Post Number: 3918
Well done, AM.
Keep passing that good old stuff along!
Passing the torch, so to speak.

Silver Member

Lewisville, Tx USA

Post Number: 108
I'm sure your son appreciates the new speakers but they probably would have held up alright on your daughters reciever. It is rated at 190 Watts.

I'm even more sure your daughter will appreciate her new speakers too.

Silver Member

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 906
You're a good mom
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us