Subwoofer connection in NADC320BEE, possible?

Username: Jingka99

Kuala Lumpur, Kuala Lumpur Malaysia

Post Number: 1
Is it possible to connect a subwoofer in NAD C320BEE, how? I've only have a small bookshelfs and I have a spare powered sub, was wandering how this can be used...thanks..

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 864
Arnold:

Many subs have both powered and unpowered connections, where you can bypass the internal amp and use it as a passive sub. This is almost always done as speaker type connections (usually spring clips) rather than an RCA type plug (for s subwoofer cable). So, if your sub allows a passive connection, you would run your speakers wire directly to the sub (both channels) and then run speaker wires from the sub-out speaker level connections to the speakers. So check out your sub and see if this is possible with yours.

I hope this helps!

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the response...but unfortunately my sub does not have sub-out speaker level connections, the only connectors I see located at the back of the sub are: 2 pairs of speaker level input(screw type) and one single sub(RCA) input...one of the local audio shop here in my place recommended what they call a bypass connection, they said I can connect from the amp's speaker output(2xR, 2xL) to these speaker level input on the sub and from that same speaker level input of the sub to the L & R loudspeakers, is this recommended in your opinion?

Thanks in advance.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9048

You can make that connection or you can split the pre amp outputs, if the NAD has that facility. That would run a "Y" connector from the pre outs, with one set of cables running to the power amp inputs. The other side of the splitter would run to the subwoofer.

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 889
Great idea, Jan.

Post Number: 3
Thanks VM Jan and Hawk...

I am new to Hi-Fi and I am sorry but I cant visualized what you mean with the Y connector, Sir, do you have any site reference of such a connector? By the way, my sub only accepts 2 types of input, one single RCA input which I believe is intended for amps/receivers with a sub out and the other type is the 2 sets of binding post which I believe is the speaker level input.

Thanks again and sorry for asking too much question.

Arnold

Silver Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 760
As Hawk stated, (and your dealer) run each pair of speaker wires from the amplifier, both left and right, to each set of the speaker level input binding posts on the sub (left and right), postive to positive, negative to negative, and then from the speaker output binding posts on the sub to binding posts on the left and right speakers, again, positive to positive and negative to negative.

As the NAD C320BEE has only one preout, I don't see how one would use a Y connector, but you could try connecting the preout on the amp to the RCA connector on the sub. You will need to make crossover ajustments on the sub's variable low pass frequency control to suit. Either all the way on so the sub delivers all low frequencies or at your selected cut off where the sub comes in to take over the low frequencies just before where your speakers are at their lowest frequency limit or wherever it suits your ears. The sub should have this option. Hope this helps.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9053

No, Rantz, his sub is the piece with just one line level input. Ignore the advice to split the pre amp outputs from your amplifier. Use the speaker connection route and make the adjustments according to your dealer's instructions.

Silver Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 761
Right. Gotcha - My bad (as you guys say over there). Sorry if I confused the issue Arnold.

Post Number: 4
Hey guys, thanks to all your inputs...I'll try the bypass connection as suggested by the dealer. By the way, I got so lucky (perhaps) last weekend, I plan to buy the C320BEE and got home with the C352 instead with only a slight difference in price. So, to say, I've got now 2 pre-outs where the pre-out2 is connected to the amp main-in so the pre-out1 is free. With this, Jan, I still would like to understand your former suggestion of using the Y connector? Would you be so kind to explain to me how this can be achieved?

Bronze Member
Username: All_ears

Singapore

Post Number: 13
hey pple, i face the same situation just that my active sub has only 1 line RCA input. What shd I do then? I have the NAD320bee as well. Would it deteriorate the qly of sound? Thanks.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9064

If you now have two pre amp outputs, you have the same connection a "Y" splitter would provide. A "Y" splitter simply splits the one output signal to two output connectors. As with your pre amp's outputs, these two outputs are wired in parallel to one another.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
Hi Jan, I would like to follow up on this topic, you mentioned that a Y splitter is what I need for my subwoofer connection but the Y splitter splits the signal into two, just as in the case where the receiver has a subwoofer out (LFE) and the sub needs two input, both + and -............

In my case, the C352 has the second pre-out which is pair + and -, and the input to my sub is a single RCA (LFE), currently I am using the + of the pre-out to connect to my sub but I would like to know if using this type connection will have any effect on my amp, I mean, I am only using one of the pre-out pair (the +)...I wonder if there is a Y connector which sum up the signal instead of split the signal, is there such a connector?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
Hi All, finally, with Nuck's help and patience in answering my e-mails, I connected my sub last night using the speaker level inputs connected to the amp's speaker outs...everything works well...Thanks again to Nuck, your help is very much appreciated Sir...

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 4464
You are very welcome, Arnold.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us