Best CD Player for My System

Username: Midga

Atlanta, GA USA

Post Number: 1
I have seen lots of good information regarding CD players in this forum, but I am still trying to decide which would be the best choice for my system. Last year, I bought a Harmon Kardon HK 3480 Receiver and a set of Infinity Primus 250 speakers, but I did not purchase a new CD player at the time. What I want to do now is get a new CD player that will provide better sound than my current (albeit, well aged) Sony DVD player. With the new CD player, my main concerns are clear, crisp sound (something I dont have with the old low-end Sony DVD) and the ability to play CD's that I have burned. Since I sold my Lexus which had an amazing car stereo system, I now have to look to my home system for good sounding audio. As for multi disc changer versus single disc, I am fine with either option. With regard to pricing, I would like to find a player that is no more than US $250.00. As background, my living space is an open 700 s/f loft with hardwood floors, floor to ceiling glass and concrete walls.

In looking at other reviews of CD players, the ones that seem to be well favored are the Onkyo DX-C390 on the low price end, then the NAD C521 on the high end. So, this brings up three questions: 1) what is the best CD player for my current system, 2) would purchasing a used/ refurbished player a good idea, and 3) where is a good place to buy the player?

Thanks!

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 865
Len:

At you price point, there are few players that are going to be any better than your Sony as there are no brands that put that much effort into putting a good analogue stage into the player for a $250 player. Instead, they are making a mass market player with crude d/a conversion not much better and in some cases worse than a Sony walkman CD player (I would doubt the Onkyo would satisfy you).

However, the one exception I know of is the NAD 521, which is extremely good for the money. It is better than most $500 players and to my ears, you have to go to a $700 Rotel to do better. As for sources to buy one, I can recommend a couple. NAD dealer agreements prohibit discounting through the internet, but you can get very nice discounts if you call the dealers I suggest. Here are the internet addresses of a couple that have always given me great service as well as great prices from which you can get their phone numbers:

www.kiefs.com (call Ed Hawkins, the mgr); and
www.saturdayaudio.com

Both generally offer 20-25% off, depending upon their wholesale price.

Now, if you really want to make a serious jump in quality and would consider going a bit higher, I noticed that David at https://dmc-electronics.com is offering the NAD C542 for $349. This is a refurbished model, but history shows that refurbs have 1/20th the return rate of new units, so I wouldn't worry about reliability. I have done very well with refurbs.

I hope this helps.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 3858
The 542 for that price is a smokin' deal!
Great player.

Username: Midga

Atlanta, GA USA

Post Number: 2
Thanks Hawk. Yeah, I have read great things about the NAD 521, so what you are saying here makes sense. BTW, for a casual listener like myself, do you see any drawbacks in getting the 521 over the 542 (other than missing out on HDCD)?

Silver Member
Username: Uback007

Post Number: 122
if you can afford the extra money most definitely go with the 542...wait till you hear it!! AMAZING FOR THE $$

Silver Member

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 924
Len:

Yes, the 542 does seem to do a much better job in providing detail and resolution to the sound. It is an amazing player.

But this is truly a question of budget. If you can afford the 542, I think it is worth the extra scratch. If you can't, I do think you will be very pleased with the 521. You win either way.

Good luck!

Bronze Member
Username: Pedrin

Post Number: 48
HELO

Bronze Member

Post Number: 49
HELO everyone

Bronze Member

Post Number: 50
THANK

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 10502
Hello Pedro...what does your multiple posts of greetings have anything to with the thread being discussed?

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1812
Maybe he's trying to get his post count up for some reason.

Speaking of which, platinum member huh? That's a lot of posts! There are only two such members on the forum.

Silver Member

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 939
Berny:

Aren't your fingers tired? :-)

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 10542
Oy vey! That is a lot of posts, huh?!?

It happens when one is away from family.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us