Saving Tandberg 3012 amp & Celestion SL600?

Username: All_ears

Singapore

Post Number: 1
I recently took over my dad's 15-year-old system; Tandberg 3012A integrated amp with 2 pin thin power cable, Celestion SL600 speakers with original stands, old van del hul interconnect and worthless cables. The Tandberg 3014 huge cassette deck is broken. After warming the system for an hour, I played the amp with my kit. It still sounded disappointing compared to my own setup - NAD 320BEE, NAD 542, Quad 11L, StraightWire Symphony interconnects, Chord Carnival biwire. Do you think it's worth salvaging the system? I felt the mid range isn't as sweet, soundstage not as big, treble not as crisp as my set up though the bass seem stronger. Also, I would like to upgrade my own system. I felt the bass is lacking and the overall presentation glaring and bright. Say if I can spend 800-1000 pounds, should I invest in a speaker or amp? I am interested in Cyrus 8vs or Primare 21 amp, B&W 704 or ProAc speakers. Which would partner seamlessly? I play my music in a medium sized room. Thanks for your advice.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9012

Salvaging it for what? You don't like it, so what would you do with it? Sell it and move on.

Bronze Member
Username: Eib_nation

Ohio EIBville

Post Number: 95
:-)

I was thinking the exact same thing!

Singapore

Post Number: 2
ok, thanks for the advice. I am rather new to audio equipment and don't want to junk something that used to cost quite a bit without finding out first. So, for my own setup, how can I make the sound less bright (warmer) and more bassy? Considering my budget, I would love to get a Primare I21 or a ProAc 110.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9016

You want to make the sound more "bassy" and less "bright". And you think buying more equipment will do this? Why?

Singapore

Post Number: 4
I swop the amp with the Tandberg and found it warmer though with less detail; Bass much stronger but less taut and punchy. Having the Nad at 9 o'clock volume or more sometimes is piercing to the ears for some vocal albums. So, perhaps changing the amp wd help. The ProAcs are a good-to-have. I am happy with the 11L just that the bass could be bigger.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9022

Have you tried changing the position of the speakers? Possibly the entire system would change its character in a different position in the room. Have you read anything regarding system set up and speaker placement? What about room treatment to get the best out of what you have vs. putting new equipment in the same situation.

Singapore

Post Number: 5
Yes. I transplanted the entire system to mid-hall. It become worse. Putting the Quads <1m against the wall caused bass booming and echo. It must be placed at least 1m away. I realised that I'd always been listening at the optimum placement, just that it would be better if the spkrs are abt 1.5-2m apart with slight toe-in. Having said that, it didn't improve the bass much. I was delighted that the local Primare distributor volunteered his I21 for a home trial. Back at home, ceteris paribus, the bass was stronger and the soundstage/imaging much bigger and clearer. Best of all, the nasty brightness has diminished significantly. Very very musical and warm. Even, my wifey noticed the vast difference for the NAD. It subconsciously brought a smile to my face. I agree with Skareb that the bass is not as dynamic as NAD but it is stronger. I don't think I need better speakers as the Quad's blended in v well. Gonna try Hayley Westernra Amazing Grace tomorrow..Thanks.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us