Username: Daniel

Canada

Post Number: 1
Thanks, Daniel

Silver Member
Username: Danman

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 633
Read a new review of the 7 channel amp with the pre and CD?DVD player in French magazine Quebec Audio et Video and they thought it was fantastic along with impressive build quality. Also there is something new in the Absolute Sound but I did not read it.

I listened to the M3 and was very impressed as well.

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1766
Any NAD ads in the QAV issue? ;-)

You never know with Franco...

Silver Member

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 636
Of course there is Peter! I had a funny feeling someone would mention that! I am sure that has something to do with it but I did hear the M3 in
Montreal recently and was very impressed. Very clear sound.

I trust my ears more than anything and after many hours of listening to so many makes over the years along with cables, speakers etc.....I am happy to report that we must all be careful what we read. I have listened to some equipment at multiple times the cost of what I have only to be very disappointed that it was only maybe a fraction better however, I have heard some that are very good. In my experience, the best tweek is speakers. That is where I noticed the most difference. The least difference would be amps than source such as CD players. Cables did nothing for me as well as power cords.

In my opinion, my 272's and 162 by NAD is still with me because I have not found much better. I will also be able to afford new equipment at a regular basis when NAD decide to change their line-up whereas I would not be able to do that with an amp costing a gazillion dollars!

There is no doubt that there are mega choices but it all comes down to what you like. It seems that so many people are always wanting more not even knowing what it is they want because they have not listened to very much gear. Find a good shop and spend the day really listening with an open mind and you will see that sometimes what you have is pretty darn good.

Silver Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 749
Danman - I agree. After listening to a $35 -$40 grand Krell/Sonus Faber set-up in a shop a while back, I thought to myself, while it sounded very nice, I'd rather my NAD and humble B&W's and a new car for that sort of money. The 162/272 kit is certainly hard to beat for the money imo.

I'm not so sure I'd like to audition the Master series. I know my wife wouldn't like me to. They look nice and well built from the info I've seen.

Silver Member

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 637
Trust me...........I was really more blown away with the quality and finish for that little amount of money! Cripes a Bryston amp is 3 times the price and it did not sound any better or was it better built only you have a 20 year warantee that is certainly in the price!

By the way, the new NAD 7 channel amp weighs 100 pounds!!

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 3822
yikes!

Silver Member
Username: Gamerdude

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 115
wish i could aford a nad =( there so much money erg guess ill have to find me a job

Gold Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 1213
"Cripes a Bryston amp is 3 times the price and it did not sound any better "

Oh no. dem is fighting woids. Bryston is good stuff and the pride and joy of the Canadian nation.

I'd have to list to this unit myself and also see how the overall build quality of the brand has changed to accept this.

Silver Member

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 639
Bryston is excellent gear but if there was any real difference between it and the new NAD, I did not notice it! Sorry.

Silver Member

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 640
In all honesty, the only gear that I actually noticed any difference was YBA, NAIM and the Moon I7. However, they were around 3-4000$ more!

Gold Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 1214
If that's so then good for NAD. Hopefully this can revive their ailing company.

Silver Member

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 641
Hey.............my ears only! May not be your bag. They are not ailing by the way!

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3516
The NAD Masters Series sounds pretty good but is easily outclassed by similarly priced gear from the likes of Sugden and Simaudio to just name 2. Again like Danman said that is just my opinion.

Bronze Member
Username: Allen

Post Number: 20
Danman/Rantz,

I have a Nad T752 receiver driving a pair of Dyns 52.I'm planning to add a Nad 272 and use the receiver's preamp.Will I get much improvement If I go with the Nad C162/272 rather than the T752pre/272 combo?

thanks

Silver Member

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 643
The 162 is a true pre-amp and is very hard to beat for the price. I don't know of any other audio company that sells a pre-amp and power amp for this price. The sound will be clearer and have more controled bass. However, if you want to save money, your way would have little difference as nothing is night and day in audio anymore and don't let anyone convince you otherwise unless you hear it yourself.

Many people on this board have very little listening experience and go by specs only.....listen to your ears and make your own judgement. You don't have to refinance the house to have great sound anymore. Many high end companies are having a hard time these days and contrary to what Stof said a couple of posts before this one, NAD is not an ailing company! They posted an increase last year in sales from what my dealer told me and he has been selling them for over 20 years. The competition between NAD and Cambridge Audio is fierce and that helps us that do not want to spend a fortune on gear that only will get you between 5-7% better sound!

To answer your initial question, the 272 will make a difference all by itself or with the 162....

Bronze Member
Username: Bunny

Big D, Texas

Post Number: 47
Danman,

What about the wharfedales, are you still pretty happy with them?

Just asking because I am looking for a pair of speakers to go with a HK 3480 and have the 9.6's on my list.

Thanks

Bronze Member

Big D, Texas

Post Number: 48
Sorry if I highjacked the thread a bit

Silver Member

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 644
I really like my Wharfedales. They are very well made and before I bought them I listened to about 5 pairs everything from JmLab to Dali's and I just liked their laid back sound and incredible bass. The influence of Quad is very obvious. I have recently listened to the Opus 2 and was blown away. Quite expensive but in a league of high end gear no doubt!

Speakers are very personal and the piece of equipment that makes a lot of difference more than any other so listen first if you can. Be careful of those that will try to sell you something made of really nice wood and colours that takes up 3/4 of the price tag. Sound is what counts and in today's society, many have forgot to use their ears instead of eyes for audio gear probably due to the AV fad. Music and video are two different things and should be kept that way.

Bronze Member

Big D, Texas

Post Number: 49
Thanks a lot for your reply.

Nice system you have there, mine is very similar! as you can see in my profile.

Anyway, I really appreciate your input.

Silver Member

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 645
Yes I have noticed you have a very simular set-up. The only difference is that I am using 2 272's each bridged and I love it that way. Hard to beat for the price in my opinion.

I have owned more that 10 different NAD systems over the last 12 years and upgrade all the time when they bring out something new. I am hoping for a new CD player by them soon. Their price range and incredible value allow me to keep doing this. I could own this tiny expensive integrated amp and some book shelf speakers that cost about 3000$ but not have the satisfaction of full bodied sound. I am a hard person to convince of things unless I hear an obvious difference but have yet to experience that with gear that won't set me back thousands. It's about the music.

I should add that I recently bought a Pro-Ject DebutIII turntable and love the sound. I am still searching for the best ways to by LP's and am slowly learning. There is no doubt that the sound is better than any CD player under a few grand! My son calls the static sound "popcorn" but that is part of it's attraction.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1599
Danman

Think about how much it has cost you over the 10 years upgrading, selling on the old kit etc. Then figure out what you could have bought ten years ago with that cash. I believe you'll find that you could have bought yourself stuff which is in a higher price bracket and got you more performance for your money.

Regards,
Frank.

Silver Member

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 646
I already did think about that but I am not going to spend 15000$ in one shot and believe I am satisfied. I like to upgrade at a price level I can also have fun with.

As I keep saying, I have not heard a huge difference with what I have now except with gear that is 5 times the price I have and even then it is no where night and day! The only place I really will look into maybe buying at a higher price level is speakers. This is where I notice such a huge difference.

Frank you are totally right about adding up 12 years but the same could be said about cars and houses etc.......I would notbe satisfied nor happy with myself for spending a major fortune on something that may or may not achieve what I want to hear. Mostly, it is fun to change every few years.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1444
I've got to agree with Art here. Remember, this is just my opinion. The M3 sounds good, but compared to other $3000 integrateds, it doesn't compete well at all. I've heard it a number of times with different sources, speakers, etc.

Give or take a few bucks (relatively speaking of course), intergateds from Bryston, Classe, McIntosh, SimAudio, and Musical Fidelity sounded significantly better to my ears.

To be completely honest, I think the Naim Nait 5i sounds much better. Granted, the M3 has a lot more power and will drive difficult speakers much better. But paired up with the right speakers, I'd much rather a Nait 5i. The Nait 5i retails for $1425. For about $3000, the Naim NAC 112x and NAP 150 combo run circles around the M3.

Disclaimer -
I'm a NAD fan. I've owned their gear for the last 12 years. They're the ones who got me into this whole mess in the first place. Their 'lower end' gear (C162/C272 combo and below) are some of the best gear around for the money.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 3961
To drop 3k on a power package, I really gotta think a pre-loved combo like cp50 pre and ca200 or ca300 is hard to beat. 3k with the ca200.

If thats a bit stiff, the Nad 162/272 is a proven winner for a great buck.

Aw sheet, it wins hands down!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us