Marantz sr5600 which spkrs to go with?

Username: Jeff21

Orem, Utah Usa

Post Number: 4
I am purchasing a marantz sr5600 today and am looking for some ideas for speakers that are around 500-$600 a pair as fronts for my ht. looking towards the forum for some ideas.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 9518
Towers or bookshelves?

Orem, Utah Usa

Post Number: 5
Either or, but probably leaning towards stronger bookshelves

Orem, Utah Usa

Post Number: 6
However if there is an awesome deal you know of for towers,.. my ears are open

Gold Member

Post Number: 9531
I've heard these with the Marantz...I think either one would make a great combination

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/cmt340m/cmt340m.html

http://www.axiomaudio.com/m22ti_main.html#

Orem, Utah Usa

Post Number: 7
Thanks, Berny for the leads. Ive heard and researched the m22 abit, but how full are the mids stacked up to the cmt-340s, and if you had to pick a pair strictly for a ht, which would seem to do the job with a stronger presence?

Gold Member

Post Number: 9534
A really tough call Jeff, both have a strong presence and well detailed with the edge of the highs going to the Axioms, but can be a bit bright.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 4436
Pretty close call between those two since the Marantz's warmth should neutralize much of the Axiom's brightness.

On the other hand the Ascends are renowned for full and accurate mids---extremely natural vocal reproduction.

Orem, Utah Usa

Post Number: 8
Im going to look at the ascends tomorrow and see if auditioning at home becomes a possibilty. On another note, which sub would compliment a front range with the ascends keeping with the same budget of around $600?

Gold Member

Post Number: 9535
So you want fronts and a sub for $600?
You can ge the Ascend CBM-170 and an HSU Sub for around $650
Or the Axiom M2 and an HSU Sub for around $600.

Orem, Utah Usa

Post Number: 9
do you mean the hsu stf-3?

Gold Member

Post Number: 4444
If the $600 is for the sub only, yes the STF-3 for a bigger room and the STF-2 or VTF-2 for a medium sized one.

Orem, Utah Usa

Post Number: 10
Ive have a midsized room with a little more than 3000 cubic ft. Do you think the stf-3 would be overpowering? or just irrational?

Gold Member

Post Number: 9536
Unnecessary, perhaps...overpowering or irrational...never!

You can adjust it and you can rationalize anything.

Bronze Member

Orem, Utah Usa

Post Number: 11
thanks Berny, I'll sleep on it an get back to you when I get it.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4447
if you can corner-load the STF-2 it should definitely be fine in a 3000 cubic foot room, unless you are a certified basshead who likes having little pieces of plaster in his hair after a movie. Even with out corner-loading it should still be ok though Berny is right in that you'd probably have to turn the gain up a little higher than you would on an STF-3.

: )

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 863
Jeff:

Another suggestion for you. While Axiom speakers are useful at their price point, I don't think they are as accurate as I would like. Given the volume of your room, you could certainly handle something much bigger and better for main speakers. So, I highly recommend something like the Silver S6 from Monitor Audio. They are on sale now from Saturday Audio Exchange for $599.00 a pair (marked down from $999.00), and they sound quite good. Everyone I have recommended them to have loved them, and they go deep enough that you do not need to get a sub for musical enjoyment. IMO, subs are best used for special effects in HT applications, and not as a bass generator for music (room placement can be highly problematic). Additionally, the MAs are a superb match with your new Marantz receiver. Check them out at www.saturdayaudio.com where they list all of the Monitor Audio speakers that are on sale.

When you do get a sub, however, stick with the Hsu. No better sub for the money. Enjoy!

Bronze Member

Orem, Utah Usa

Post Number: 16
just wanted to let you know that my Marantz 5600 is sounding great through my infinity's, couldn't be happier, but also can't wait to get some higher end speakers.

Bronze Member

Orem, Utah Usa

Post Number: 17
Is there any other remarks about the M.A. audio rs6'S they appeal to me a bit, and I was wondering if anyone in the forum has auditioned them or has a voice concerning them.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4477
I'm not a Monitor Audio fan at all, I think Frank Abela also does not like them.

I'd look at Internet-direct speakers for maximum quality-to-price ratio.

Gold Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 1222
I have a Marantz 8400 paired with Axiom M3ti and I am happy with it. However, at the time that I bought these, if I had the space and the money I would have gone with the MA. They were just too expensive. At the current sale prices I would say this deal is very good.

Bronze Member
Username: Rushwj

Knoxville, TN USA

Post Number: 41
I've got my Marantz 7500 hooked up w/ Paradigm Studio 20s. A little more than what you wanted to pay (i paid around $750 for mine new), but could likely get some second hand on Audiogon.com. I think Marantz makes a really nice receiver for the money and will likely match with a wide variety of speakers, so i'd go with what feels and sounds good to you.

Silver Member
Username: Riches1

Atlanta, GA US

Post Number: 214
Your room is a tad larger than mine. The Axiom M22ti's do fine in my listening room. Go to Axioms Speaker wizard on their website to get their recommnedations based on your specific needs.

And I approach disagreeing with Hawk with some trepidation, because he is, after all, the Hawk, and I trust his opinion more than anyone else on this forum, but...
The reviews on the Axioms make them out to be very accurate. They held their own with Monitor Audio GR 10's and Paradigm Studio 40's in a recent speaker shootout at Audioholics.com. The Axioms were cited as having delightfully transparent highs and ruler flat frequency responses, pinpoint imaging with a wide sound stage. Gosh, that sounds pretty accurate to me. And so do my current M22ti's. And as far as the price point thing goes, they said that the $440 Axioms sounded as good as ANY $1000 speaker they had heard. Add in several audiorevolution.com "Top 100 Products of the Year" awards

However, I will admit the S6's are a steal at Saturday Morning. I just hope you like black or beech, though because those colors are your only choices.

Don't hurt me Hawk.

Bronze Member
Username: Zorro

Post Number: 51
I just purchased a pair of Monitor Audio's S8 from Saturday Audio and could not be happier. They fill my 20 x 16 ft room with wonderful sound. I guess it's just a matter of preferences.

Jeff,
I had the same dilema. It's rather difficult to buy speakers without auditioning! Before I pulled the plug on the MA's ,I came to the forum and got help from Hawk and Stof. Man they were right on the money.

My two cents

Silver Member

Atlanta, GA US

Post Number: 215
Here's a link you may find interesting. The Axioms are on audioholics recommended list for home theater systems.

http://www.audioholics.com/showcase/systemguide/5KRecommendedhometheater.php

Gold Member

Post Number: 4530
> The Axioms are on audioholics recommended list for home theater systems.

Well of course they are...they are one of Audioholics' top advertisers.

33 out of 44, or 75%, of the products on that recommended list is comprised of their advertisers.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10682
uh-oh, not this again :-)

Silver Member

Atlanta, GA US

Post Number: 217
Sounds like Ed thinks audioholics.com is suspect.

But in a poll on ecoustics a while back, they were listed as one of the top, if not the top, audio review websites by ecoustics.com members. I think that audioholics.com reviews are first rate. Sure they have their biases. Who doesn't? But they substantiate their comments with a lot research, testing and factual data. And that is why I refer a lot of new, as well as old posters to their site. I like them, Ed doesn't. Whatever.

I especially like thier vast library of AV education topics. But, I agree that all endorsements are suspect, especially some on this forum.

So here is another link.

This is from audiorevolution.com, listing their picks for the top 100 AV products of 2004, and right there at #21, right ahead of the Revel Performas, and right in there with names like Martin Logan, Lynn, NAD, Classic, Mark Levinson, etc is the Axiom Epic Master system.

http://www.avrev.com/equip/top_100_of_2004/index8.html.

Silver Member

Atlanta, GA US

Post Number: 218
And Ed just loves those Ascends. He recommends them as much as I recommend the Axioms. He thinks the Axioms are bright. I don't. But as I stated previously, everyone has their biases. Right Ed?
:-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 4531
True, everyone has differing preferences...but UNFORTUNATELY, TRAGICALLY, and REGRETTABLY, I do not own a website that Ascend advertises on, nor do they pay me in any other way. : (

And I always tell people to use the 30-day trial period from both companies if that's what they're deciding between. Still, I'd gladly take 3 to 1 odds in that matchup...LOL

In any case Riches, I don't really recall you being that frequent a recommender of Axioms. Maybe because I haven't been around that much lately...

btw, what "ecoustic.com members" poll is this you are referring to?

I'm under no illusions that the audio press is populated by a bunch of saints. However, I do object when people buy into Audioholics' farcical motto "Pursuing The Truth In Audio and Video" and refer to them as some highly credible source.

IMO these two threads both shed reveal a lot about Audioholics, esp. the second one:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=8138731&&#post8138731

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?t=1867

Silver Member

Atlanta, GA US

Post Number: 219
The poll was about 2 years ago. Maybe some other folks remember it. AVS forum was listed, Audio Revolution, and a few others.

Accepting advertising dollars does not necessarily equal being a lackey (hmm, can't use the "ho" word on this forum) for the advertiser. You see sinister motives at work, in this case, where I do not. The fact that audioholics.com publishes so much educational stuff that is non product related on their website makes me think that they posses some degree of respectability. Audioholics could be making a lot more advertising money if they didn't beat up on the esoteric cable companies so much. To automatically assume that they are selling out to the advertisers seems a bit of stretch to me.

And you have been really way too sensitive about this Panasonic digital receiver thing. Hey, I defended on you that! Not that I agreed with you, but I defended you, nonetheless.

I looked at the Ascends, as well as the Aperions when I made my home theater decision. It was a tough choice. I didn't audition all of them. I tossed the Aperions because I read a number of reviews that said they were very bright. Plus they are made in the giant Chinese factory that produces about 90% of the speakers on the market today. I have issues with Chinese made stuff. That's one reason I like my Denon 3805 -made in Japan.

I eliminated the Ascends on cosmetic reasons. The 170's were ugly black boxes and the larger Ascends were just pretty black boxes. Other cosmetics involved the surrounds and associated mounting issues. I wanted a small bi-polar surround. Now if I had to do all over again, I would have gone with a small box speaker. I preferred the look of the Axioms in Cherry. (Actually, I liked Beach, but the wife said "Cherry" and so Cherry it was!)LOL!

I have had the Axioms two years now, and other than the Energy Take 5's (which are now in the youngest son's college dorm room) they have entertained me longer than the Cambridge Towers, Boston Acoustic Towers, Klipsch RF Bookshelf, Polk Towers, Polk Bookshelfs (RTi4 and RTi6) and Paradigm Mini Monitors, that preceded them. I grew tired of all of those after a few months. Actually, the Paradigms may have hung around for about a year.

But I am already looking for something more upscale. Something like a JM Focal, Monitor Audio, PSB Image or something like that. I was even thinking about dishing the Denon 3805 for a NAD - even if it is made in China.

Lastly, if we boycotted all the recommended components on audioholics.com, the list would include the following:

Denon
Emotiva
Escient
LG Electronics
Marantz
Mitsubishi Electronics
Mordaunt-Short
Optoma
Panasonic
Philips
Pioneer
Rotel
Samsung
Sherbourn Technologies
Slim Devices
Sonos
Sony
Syntax Groups/Olevia
Universal Remote Control, Inc.
Yamaha
Axiom Audio
B&W
Energy Speakers
Hsu Research
Infinity
Monitor Audio
Pinnacle Speakers
RBH Sound
Rocket/Onix
Snell Acoustics
Status Acoustics
SVS Subwoofers
Tannoy
Wharfedale
Velodyne
Axiom Audio Cables
Blue Jeans Cable
DVIGear
Impact Acoustics
Logitech/Harmony Remotes
PureLink
RE Designs
Carada
Da-Lite
Screen Innovations
Stewart Filmscreen
StudioTech

Gold Member

Post Number: 4532
You ruled out the Ascends for about the only reason that even the most loyal Ascend owners like me cannot dispute: that there are prettier-looking speakers out there for the money. Personally I value what comes OUT of the box much more than the looks of the box itself, but hey we all have different priorities.

About Audioholics beating up on the snake oil cables industry (the second most favorite punching bag after Bose)---well I see that as part of their overall business strategy of trying to establish street credibility so that they can push their own economically-driven agenda safely. They certainly are not the first to bash the cables racket, Roger Russell and Peter Aczmel for example did it a long long time ago.

Also if you notice the only cables in their recommended list are the somewhat-moderately priced Blue Jeans Cable, DVI Cables, and Impact Acoustics...all of them are advertisers, of course. However despite all this pretension of being "scientific" and data-based, they have never AFAIK done a direct blind AB comparison of *those* moderately-pirced cables with the rock-bottom generic Home Depot cables which many people have great results with. Now if they were truly about objectively "pursuing the truth in audio and video" (cough, cough, cough) you'd think that would be an obvious step wouldn't you?

And lastly, what's all this talk of "boycotting" Audioholics' recommendations? That's absurd. All I'm saying is, rid yourself of any illusions that Audioholics is any less of an advertising ho than any other member of the audio press.

I don't even have any strong dislike of the Yamaha and Denon products that appear in FIVE out of those SIX "Recommended Systems"---I just thing it reveals blatant advertiser-driven bias and whoredom.

Look at the attachment, and tell me their recommended list does not stink to high heaven.
application/pdfUpload
Audioholics.pdf (65.2 k)

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 4062
I smell no stink, just a huge waste of money on shite gear.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4537
> I smell no stink, just a huge waste of money on shite gear.

Well that's just it---can you imagine having a $75K budget and choosing a lousy Denon 4806 to power your system???

Especially when you consider that Audioholics has favorably reviewed higher-end HT separates on their website, so it's not like they honestly don't know any better.

Gold Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 1249
Correction 5805. Now that's an improvement.

It is somewhat surprising to see the budgets go from 5K to 75K yet the recommendations to remain variations of Yamaha and Denon.

Silver Member

Atlanta, GA US

Post Number: 220
ED,...ed, ed,

If you like your rhino-lining coated boxes, wonderful. I think the stuff looks better in the bed of a pickup, but, whatever. I'm sure they sound great. So do the axiom M22ti's - despite audioholics.com recommendation!

All those items on my previous list are also recommended brands on audioholics. Now are we to trust them or not? Or do we just throw out the one section where they actually put together a system at a price point?

It's debateable whether A/B blind tests cannot be done with any repeatable accuracy in regards to wire:
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/products/articles/130133.html -

The only SCIENTIFIC measurements that can be made on wire are inductance, resistance and impedance, and Audioholics has done those with 0.46 a foot 12AWG vs the exotics in two seperate tests. See link above. Everything else is just opinion.

I don't know, Ed, you could have a point that could apply the entire audio media business. In fact you do have I point - I just don't know if I agree. Who do we trust, if anyone? (Haven't we debated all this before? I think Berny saw this coming!)

If you look at the quote on my profile, it says "Never trust anyone who claims to be in sole posession of the absolute truth."

But back to the original point -
Well, Jeff, as you can see, :-), Axiom and Ascend both have cult followings, and raging, sometimes maniacal supporters.

Oh, and about those Denon's especially the 3805:

'Home Cinema Choice' - Best Buy,

'What Video' - Best Buy

"What Home Cinema' -- Best Buy.

CNET - 2004 Editors Choice

Sound and Vision - 2004 Reviewers Choice

Man, Denon must be greasing a lot palms....

Gold Member

Post Number: 4540
LOL Riches you don't seem to be aware that your first 3 listings ("Home Cinema Choice", "What Video" and "What Home Cinema") are essentially the same magazine published by the same company and probably sharing many of the same articles.

Scroll down to the bottom of the page:

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/

In any case, unlike Audioholics' website, theirs does not list more than 2 advertisers. If I had access to say 6 months worth of their print magazines to flip through, I would be in a position to analyze for any patterns in advertising-reviews/recs like I was able to do with Audioholics. However I think it's fair to say that most magazines (regardless of topic/genre) that have multiple names/versions like that are usually corporate advertising vehicles rather than serious hobbyist-oriented such as Stereophile (not saying that Stereophile is spotless of course).

CNET is simply not a credible source for audio reviews, these are the same clowns who give the Bose Wave Radio 7.3 out of 10 for Chrissakes. Their computer reviews are slightly better though.

Sound and Vision is by far the most credible source you listed, but again I have not had the opportunity to analyze their advertising-to-reviews patterns as I do not subscribe nor read them regularly at my local bookshop.

All of the above is really tangential. Bottom line is, friggin' SEVENTY FIVE PERCENT is a pretty fishy proportion of "recommended products" to come directly from one's advertisers, is it not?

Especially a Denon 5805 to power a SEVENTY FIVE THOUSAND DOLLAR system??? Come on, now!

Gold Member

Post Number: 4541
PS. Riches are you also aware that the "ecoustics" article you linked to regarding cables was written by, surprise surprise, Blue Jeans Cables?

Silver Member

Atlanta, GA US

Post Number: 221
Yes Ed, I am aware that the three Brit rags are the same.

I left out:
August 2004 Best Buy from Hi-Fi Choice.

There's a pattern there though, from several different sources. CNET IS kind of all over the place. Still, I think Cory Greenberg usually does a good job. BTW, he did not like the Axiom home theater speaker system that he reviewed.

Yes, Ed, I also realize that the article on wire was from BJC. But it was republished as editorial comment by ecoustics. They must have thought it valid. That is why I posted the link.

As far as the Denon 5805 in a $75,000 system...Did you, or anyone else, read the reasons why they chose the components of that system?

1. "The Denon AVR-5805 has - bar none - more FEATURES than any other receiver or separates solution on the market as of this write up, including HDMI switching (and analogue upconversion to HDMI), dual component video outputs, Audyssey room correction, IEEE 1394, and plenty of power."

2."It is also capable of serving as the exclusive front end to our four-zone whole-house system."

3. Note a key word there: "Features".

4. Also note the price point: $6000.

The category is not how to spend $75,000 on an "audiophile music system", but how to spend that money on system that is a

*High-End Home Theater
*with "DUAL multi-channel theaters"
*A Whole House Multi-Zone System
*Featuring four (4) zones,

Look at several key terms here:
"Home Theater", "4 zones", "two mini-theaters".

Does this system achieve its stated design objective? Yes.

Does it represent value? (A stated objective). Yes.

Is it what you would have chosen given those objectives and budget? Obviously not.

Do I think they have a Denon bias? Definitely.

Is it because of advertising dollars, or do they just like Denon, or both? Who KNOWS for sure?

Bronze Member
Username: Rushwj

Knoxville, TN USA

Post Number: 42
My 2 cents.
I agree w/ Riches on most of his points. I neither own Denon (or am likely to buy it at this time for a few reasons), but i do respect their products and especially the features they offer (especially at the price range for most of them) without much of a compromise in sound. The 5805 is a product that definitely has its uses (again, i'd likely not buy it at 6K), but it definitely serves the purposes of what audioholics desired.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4542
> But it was republished as editorial comment by ecoustics. They must have thought it valid.

I don't think ecoustics is exactly rigorous on what they choose to post as "editorial comment"---their only priority, as evidenced the totally laissez-faire absence of moderation, is generating traffic to the site which increases their advertising revenue. In short, they are about on par with Amazon's consumer reviews in terms of them posting whatever anybody submits to them unless it's egregiously unsuitable (e.g. full of obscenity, etc.). They know full well that by doing so, they will get more leads off of Google and increased traffic.

> Do I think they have a Denon bias? Definitely.

Ah, finally! Nice to hear that Audioholics is not exactly pure as the driven snow.

> Is it because of advertising dollars, or do they just like Denon, or both? Who KNOWS for sure?

That seems an overly strained agnosticism you're playing there. Bottom line: $5K system, $7.5K system, $25K system, $75K system all powered by Denon and Yamaha receivers, which COINCIDENTALLY happen to be advertisers.

Now if they had reviewed other receivers in the same class and found them inferior products, I would totally be cool with that---however the only mid- to upper-level current AVRs they have *ever* reviewed are also all Denons and Yamahas.

Maybe I'm expecting too much into a company that claims to be "pursuing the truth in audio and video"---yes you're right, how totally absurd for me to expect that company to actually review more than about 30% of available manufacturers and products.

I mean, if Road and Track magazine only reviewed BMWs and Jaguars, and only recommended BMW and Jaguar autos, while COINCIDENTALLY carrying adverts *only* from BMW and Jaguar, we just CANNOT "know for sure" whether there's something fishy going on, can we? Yes, you're so right.

Bronze Member

Orem, Utah Usa

Post Number: 18
svs subs, hsu subs, carver, looking for clean, raw power. Any suggestions on a musical sub that will also be able to handle a heavy ht applications, and compliment the 5600? other than that I have heard the ascend's and the monitor audio's tough decision for me, aesthetically speaking they both look nice but ascends maybe catching my ear a little more than the ma's

Gold Member

Post Number: 4137
You found the Ascends to be looking nice?
In a '9 beers, gee she looks nice' kind of way?

Hearing is completely different, of course.
Where did you hear,'envision' them, Jeff?

Bronze Member

Orem, Utah Usa

Post Number: 19
svs subs, hsu subs, carver, looking for clean, raw power. Any suggestions on a musical sub that will also be able to handle a heavy ht applications, and compliment the 5600? other than that I have heard the ascend's and the monitor audio's tough decision for me, aesthetically speaking they both look nice but ascends maybe catching my ear a little more than the ma's

Gold Member

Post Number: 4139
HT only?
The brands you mention are top shelf.
Add Velodyne, as a more expansive listing.

If you really want to move it up (but more for music) you can check REL orM&K.

Bronze Member

Orem, Utah Usa

Post Number: 20
nuck, thanks for the input, I did not audition them but have heard them at a fellow enthusiast's home, although he was using a different receiver. As for aesthetics, I guess I dont need beer. I am interested in why you might add velodyne to that mix of subs, just curious, your input is appreciated

Gold Member

Post Number: 4143
Jeff, the Velo models with EQ function seem to be rather well regarded, and they should be available for you to try out, as Velo's are quite widely distributed.
My previous comment was regarding the lack of finish on Ascend speakers, perhaps the ones you saw were treated to a proper finish.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us