New to turntables - distortion on "s"es?

Username: Xolotl

Post Number: 1
Hello all. I just got myself a Numark TT200 with a Stanton L720EE stylus/cart (elliptical). This is my first time actually setting up a turntable myself and having to deal with aligning the various components. I think I did a pretty good job, and it sounds, in general, quite good.

I have, however, noticed that on the few records that I've tried out thus far, whenever the vocals use an "s" sound, there's an extra bit of static and general harshness to the noise. I noticed a similar problem described on this forum here: https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/137591.html

In that thread, I noticed that there's one recommendation to increase the tracking force, and another to decrease the force - which would be the ideal way to go first? I'd like to avoid damaging the stylus/disc. I'm guessing that my initial balancing attempts left something to be desired, especially since this stylus looks like it wants a lot less pressure than many of the spherical ones do (.75 - 1.5 grams is the range they give).

On a related note, while I was researching all this, I came across somewhere which mentioned that a too-light pressure can result in more (bass|treble), and a too-heavy pressure can result in the opposite, but I can't seem to find that reference again to find out which was which. :-) Anyone care to enlighten me on that as well?

Thanks!

On a related

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8984

You have the issue of tracking force confused with tracking angle. VTA affects the bass/treble content more obviously than VTF. Too light on the pressure will cause more damage than too heavy. Recheck the alignment and tracking force. Use a two point protractor for alignment. There is an offer for a free protractor on the forum. Check the archives. Contact the dealer to ask whether this particular cartridge has a pronounced sibilance problem. Read the last article on this page; http://www.gcaudio.com/resources/howtos/index.html

Username: Xolotl

Post Number: 2
Thanks for all the info, I'll do that. I'm *actually* gonna just take the thing in to where I bought it tomorrow and have someone who knows what they're doing take me through the proper procedures. They were gonna do that when I bought it anyway but the place where I bought the table primarily stocks for DJs and only had spherical styluses (styli? hm, dictionary.com says either...) and I wanted an elliptical so I went somewhere else for that. I figure that'll probably be best for me long-term anyway.

Thanks again for the info!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us