Which receiver around $1000, which one?

Username: Jeff21

Orem, Utah Usa

Post Number: 1
I am looking for a receiver that has good to great cinema specific capabilities for around $1000 So far I have looked at the onkyo tx-sr703, and 803. I would appreciate any feedback about these models or any others.

Orem, Utah Usa

Post Number: 2
a little more info on what im powering. I have infinity primus bookshelves in front and rear with an infinity center, but am upgrading to the 360s, I also have a hand me down klipsch sub but am looking at a few different velodyne subs for replacement.

Bronze Member
Username: Jorge59

Rio de JaneiroBrasil

Post Number: 90
For movies mostly, you might not need to spend $1K in a receiver. Probably something under $500 will do the job decently, specially if you're using bookshelf speakers.

And you can put the savings in the best center and sub you can get for the money.

For the sub, you might like to check out Hsu and SVS.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 9636
Jeff, for that budget, you may want to stay away from Onkyo.

Check out Outlaw Audio...
https://www.outlawaudio.com/mofcart/electronics.html

particularly the Model 1070.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 4470
I agree with Jorge completely. If this is a mostly HT system I would invest in a great sub and keep your current bookshelves. A tower speaker IMO doesn't make a whole lot of sense if you're going to run it on "small" crossed over to a sub.

However, if you're hell-bent on blowing a grand on an AVR, this is what I'd get:

http://www.onecall.com/ProductDetails.aspx?id=23716&FEID=130&PMNID=1121&SWPC_WOO C=1

Notice the $2200 list price. That is not a joke, this was HK's flagship until recently. It has a torroidal transformer and if HK rates it at 110wpc it probably delivers maybe 180wpc in reality...just a wild guess based on how their receivers' conservative power ratings have bench-tested in the past.

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 860
Jeff:

There are three important parameters in choosing a "front-end" (ie, a receiver, amp/pre-pro, etc.). They are:

1. Budget (your covered);

2. Speakers (also covered); and

3. Room size (whoops!).

However, I do agree with the posters above to stay away from Onkyo. Every bench test I have seen shows Onkyo to be consistently way below specifications. About two years ago, Sound & Vision tested the top of the line (at that time) TX-Sr901, rated at 125 wpc. Driving two channels was no problem, but when driving 5 channels, the unit clipped at something around 57 wpc. If you drove 7 channels (7.1) it was more like 52 or 54. Truly pathetic. The sound quality is even worse, IMO.

I highly recommend those units with beefy power supplies and quality output stages. For under a grand, I strongly recommend, in no particular order: Marantz 7500, NAD T753, and the Outlaw 1070 (I guess that is alphabetical order). Forget the published power ratings as they are almost meaningless. The Outlaw, for instance is rated at 65 wpc, but it sounds more powerful than an Onkyo or Denon 125 wpc. That is because it is. Watts are meaningless--it is really a question of current. Likewise, the NAD is rated at 75 wpc x 6, but if you bench test it, it really rates about 90 x 6 or 100 x 5. Marantz does put out accurate power measurements, but your ears will never discern a difference between the Marantz 105 wpc and the Outlaw's 65. Just consider these three to be equal in power because they essentially are. BTW, I also recommend harman/kardon, but not for your speakers--just a bad match. So, go listen to the Marantz and the NAD, and if you want to try the Outlaw, simply order it since they have a 30 day home trial period. All three represent a high quality unit capable of producing sound superior to most other receivers costing up to twice the price, so each is a good value. The bottom line is that you need to try them in your home, with your speakers, playing the content you will be listening to. Find one that you really enjoy listening to and don't worry about it again.

Good luck!

Bronze Member

Orem, Utah Usa

Post Number: 15
great insight Hawk, I have heard iffy things about the power ratings surrounding the onkyo spec sheets. As an update, I decided to buy the Marantz sr5600 hundred, and Im glad that I did. I will most likely have this receiver until I A) move into a bigger home with a bigger front living room. And/or B) upgrade my speakers. BTW my living room right now is about 2500 cubic feet. Again I appreciate the education that I get from this forum.

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 862
Excellent choice, Jeff. Congrats.

Silver Member
Username: Gamerdude

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 124
http://www.yawaonline.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=YO&Product_Co de=NAD_T753&Category_Code=RX

not sure if this is what u want just thought i'd put it up anyways

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 4472
Jeff,

I used to own a Marantz 5400; I think you'll be pleased with the 5600.

Spending less on the receiver and more on the speakers at this price range makes very good sense. For maximum bang for the buck, look into the Internet-direct brands.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 3880
With that receiver at that price, yup, start shopping speaker sets!
Nice receiver, Jeff!

Bronze Member
Username: Galileo7

Post Number: 30
Nice indeed

Silver Member
Username: Gdawg

Canada

Post Number: 125
About Onkyo's(and other) power ratings... compare them here:

http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Hollow/3401/ratevsac.htm

Yes the Onkyo 901 was rated 110x7 and came out as 50wpc. Stay away.

Check out the NAD T752, rated at 80wpc it comes out to 92! NAD RULES

Enjoy the page, and the Marantz for what its worth, they make an awsome receiver.

BTW, I have always like SRS CSII, and the only receivers I know of that support SRS are Kenwood and Marantz, I hope you enjoy it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us