Primare CD21

Bronze Member
Username: Skareb

Kuala LumpurMalaysia

Post Number: 47
Building a component setup is like unlocking Leonardo's cryptex. Sonic harmony comes when all the component matches and any wrong move, we stand a chance of breaking the vinegar glass. Sounds simple enough and I can tell you its simple in the beginning and later it gets all confusing. The good news is we can always backtrack. Now let's get to the source!

How much do we believe in the philosophy of expensive CDP provides better sound? I started my HIFI journey with the humble Marantz CD5400 and about a year later I upgraded to the CD7300 whom I was really pleased and satisfied with the service it provide. I was happy in the beginning and the curiosity got the better of me. Ok how do we improve the sound without spending loads of cash? Upgrading the Interconnecting cable would be my first choice. mmmmmm...I was thinking what a genius (I was). And hifi shows was just around the corner and I got an offer for a used Siltech New York IC. So without any chance of testing I bought it and I couldn't pay attention to the exhibitions anymore. I was just too eager to get home and plug it in and hope for the improvement I was looking for.

Ok not bad, the vocals seem more concentrated, but now my system is too bright! Again the torturing voice of high mid is filling the whole room; I do an AB test, replacing the Siltech with my faithful QED Silverspiral. And the sound is back to normal...more listenable more musical. I started to question are Siltech cables all just plain old myth snake oil? I called my friend CK at CMY, explained my situation and he was surprise at my finding. "No way"; he said, he tried it a dozen times and the Siltech was never once found to be inferior to the QED.

I came to my own conclusion that the CD7300 is already at its best and no upgrading will do it good. A lesson served, you've to match a CDP with its standard of interconnector. So I took a dive and request for an audition of a run in Primare CD21 a perfect marriage for my I21 integrated amp. First CD sang and my impression with the sound is; not much difference compared to my Marantz. The soundstage is more or less the same size and the vocal is slightly better. I wasn't really impressed given the price of the CD21 is 3 times the Marantz.

This time I plug in the Siltech and to my surprise the sound is no more bright but much meaty, the vocal are so clear you can hear to the finest dynamic of changes. The imaging is also far sharper and more space around it. Immediately the soundstage opened and I can hear so much more improvement. After 3 days with the Primare I start an AB test with the Marantz. The first song played on the Marantz proved to be disappointing, and I know I'm stuck. I told myself there's no turning back now. I've pampered my ears to better clarity and superior sonically.

In comparison the Primare has upper hand in all aspect. The soundstage is much deeper, the placing of instrument is more realistic, you can hear the drum behind the speaker with the marantz perhaps -6db, but with the primare you not only hear the drum behind it but you can feel and see it with your eyes. That's how sharp the presentation of the Primare. The soundstage is also very much deeper and wider. I could play music at volume 30 without any hint of disturbance. The bass has more detail instead of just badaboom. In fact what I learn from this 3rd phase total upgrade from my system is; When you balance the sonic well, you get to play at higher volume. And the sound is so much more solid and realistic. It has clarity but not to the point of clinical. It is still very much musical and it has the ability to draw you into the music and keeping you chasing Cds after Cds.

This article is not meant to compare between the Primare and the Marantz but rather it serves as an experience sharing for those who are on the same path as me. A little window for you to peep into the differences you get from upgrading, provided you choose wisely or you risk the pouring vinegar that bleach all your music.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3494
Thank you for sharing your experience skareb.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 3786
A common path for so many of us.
Thanks, skareb.

Bronze Member
Username: Skareb

Kuala LumpurMalaysia

Post Number: 48
The system

Upload
« Previous Thread Next Thread »