Best budget reciever for Fluance speakers

Username: Iceman_1000000

Post Number: 1
I've been browsing this site for a long time, but I finally decided to get registered and post to get some opinions.
I've been using a TEAC AG-V8520 with some hand me down speakers for awhile now, and I decided to finally upgrade. I'd like to get something decent for being on a budget.

-I know it might be hard, but I'd like the speakers and receiver cost to be less than $500 together.
-It will proabably 70% movies and 30% music.
-I don't need any more than 5.1 in a receiver for the present, however, if I could find a 6.1 or 7.1 for a similiar price, it might me nice for in the future, but its not required.

In my search for speakers, I've been thinking about either the Fluance AV-HTB+ or SX-HTB+ set. Does anybody have thoughts on what receiver will work well with those? Other speaker suggestions that fit into the budget are also welcome. I'm haven't bought anything as of yet, so I'm plenty flexible as long as its close to being in budget.
Thanks for the help

Post Number: 2
I just wanted to add that I realize the Fluance speakers don't come with a dedicated sub, but I figured I can add that at a later time (at least if I go with the fluance speakers) as the woofers that come in the fronts are sufficient for the time being.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 9346
The Fluance line-up are very well executed for the budget minded person. They are well detailed and well constructed and they are the right price. My college age nephews love the Fluance and I don't blame them, I think they are great.

As far as receivers, you can use any of the current offerings in the market as the speakers are easy to drive and do not require gobs of power.

Do you have budget?

Bronze Member
Username: Raymer

Post Number: 24
you could do this-
H/K AVR 130- $167
2 pairs of Athena b1.2's-$240
1 Athena 1.2 center-$140

That's a little bit over $500 but that would be a pretty decent setup for the price. Or you could just get the Fluance setup and the H/K if you really have to keep it under $500. You can get the H/K at harmanaudio.com and the Athena's at audioadvisor.com

Post Number: 3
Forgive me for my ignorance, I'm kind of new to this whole thing, but I know the AVR 130 is better quality then say a pioneer or such. But with the speakers I'm getting will I really notice the difference in quality by going with the HK versus say a Pioneer VSX-516. Because aren't I sacrificing quite a bit of power? The pioneer puts out 100 watts per channel while the HK is only 45 watts per channel. Or is there something I'm missing here? I was hoping for at least 70-80 watts per channel, but like I said, I'm new to all this, and maybe the quality is more important than the power. With the Fluances, is 45 watts plenty of power? I guess ultimately if I'm not going to use the extra power its not worth paying for, I"m just too inexperienced to realized how much would be normally used.

Post Number: 4
Berny, my budget is about 500 for speakers and a receiver.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9349
You will be fine with either choice and the wattage difference is not that important. Pioneer and HK have different ways of publishing their ratings, but both are great receivers. It is a matter of your preference and will work well for your situation.

Post Number: 5
Just an update, I ended up buying the Fluance SX-HTB+ setup last night, so now, its just the receiver, hopefully for around $200-250. I've been currently looking at Pioneer, HK, or Onkyo. Of those in that price range, which do you guys think would match the best with the Fluance speakers?

Post Number: 6
bump

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 4426
Whatever's warmest-sounding. Probably HK, though I don't know of any HK AVR you can get for that cheap other than used ones.

My suggestion would be a Marantz:

http://www.accessories4less.com/cgi-bin/item/MARSR4500S

Post Number: 7
Thanks for the input. Do you think the Pioneer VSX-516-K or Harman Kardon AVR 235 would be better? Would the HK have plenty of power in comparison?

Gold Member

Post Number: 9517
That HK you mentioned is good unit.

Post Number: 8
Berny, earlier you mentioned that pioneer and hk have different ways of publishing their ratings. What did you mean by that? How far off are they in comparison? I noticed the HK says it puts out 50 watts in 7.1 Is that peak or continuous power? And if my speakers are rating for 160 for example, does that mean I'm nowhere close to using them to their full potential? Sorry for so many questions!

Gold Member

Post Number: 9523
Do not fret too much about those published ratings, you'll go crazy. Look for build quality and reputation. Some people even go by how heavy the units are built, thinking that a more robust power supply and transformer is heavier.. Peak or continuous power is published and they are used differently as well.

Your speaker rating is rated at how much power they can handle and not how much they put out. Speakers do not have watts. And using them to their full potential depends on many different factors besides your receiver. There's the placement, room acoustics, listening position, etc.

Post Number: 9
Thanks for the advice Berny, I'll keep looking around some more and see what I can come up with in the quality department.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4437
The HK 235 over the Pio 516 by a country mile!

Post Number: 10
Edster, this technology is new to me, and I'm trying to learn, so if you wouldn't mind, what are the main things you think make it better?
Thanks

Gold Member

Post Number: 4446
far superior sound quality, probably due in large part to HK's beefy power supplies.

Pioneer doesn't get decent until the 1014/5/6 and doesn't get really good until the Elite series, IMO.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
So would you still go with the AVR 235 over the Pioneer VSX-915? Or is that getting more equal?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Also I noticed the Pioneer has DTS 96/24 decoding also, is that something I need?

Gold Member

Post Number: 9550
96/24 is a sampling and bit rate at which a lot of audio tracks are recorded. The HK 235 can handle that. Most receivers that can decode DTS and Dolby have that capability.

I'd still go with the HK at this point. Throw in the VSX 1015 and then you'll have issues about choosing:-)

I think you are still worried about the wattage specs being published.

Silver Member
Username: Gamerdude

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 108
i have noriced that yamaha and pioneer have fake wattage i noticed on a yamaha amp that read 500 watts rms on the back it only says 280watts and then when i did the same thing to a HK it said 400 and it added up unlike the yamaha is this somthing to be worryed about? i was looking into an amp like yamaha becuase i like the idea of being able to run 6 and 8 ohm speakers...

Gold Member

Post Number: 9561
Do you have 6 and 8 ohm speakers?

Silver Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 110
yes , i dont need GOBS of power somthing like 80/channle would be great or a bite higher but yea i dont know it was was somthing i had on my mind for a couple weeks about the yamaha and pioneer receiver thing

Gold Member

Post Number: 9566
What speakers are you using?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
You're right about worrying too much about the wattage specs being published Berny. But I've been doing alot of reading and realizing that

1. Thats not what its all about, and 2. Alot of companies distort thier ratings in various ways to mislead.

I've decided on getting the HK receiver, and I'm looking at either the 240 or the 330. The 330 has more power and some extra features like multi-room cabability. But the 240 has newer decodering and other features. What are you thoughts on which one to go for?

Silver Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 111
i wish i could aford a hk right now enjoy john

Silver Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 112
right now i just use the ones that game with the mini system yes i no that crpa but i'm not really too worryed they sound fine for now and some other speakers witch sound pretty desent well to me anyways

Silver Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 113
came**

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
I can't really afford it either, but I still manage to somehow find a way to justify it, lol. For the last 8 years I've been using an old pro logic 1 receiver with car speakers that I built boxes for, so this is a huge improvement for me.
But for the speakers and the hk receiver I'm coming out a little over $500. So if this setup lasts as long as my last one did, $500 over about 10 years (I'm sure it will last longer) it isn't too bad.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
The hard part was getting the wife to OK it.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9567
Look at all the features and compare them. See which ones you can do without and which are just impressive but something you probably won't use.

I'd get the 330 over the 240.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
In case anybody wanted an update, I went Fluance SX-HTB+ speakers and I got a killer deal on an HK AVR 335 that's currently on it's way here. So I think the result should be satisfying. Thanks everybody for your help, I appreciate it. If anybody wants an update after I set everything up, just let me know.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10449
Has the Fluance been delivered?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
Yeah, I've had them hooked up to my old Teac for the last few days. The prologic is dead on it, so I have the fronts and surrounds hooked up to the A and B front outputs on the receiver, but I can't use the center that way. The HK should be here monday at the latest though.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10450
I'd like to hear your thoughts on those.

Silver Member
Username: Eramsey

South carolina United States

Post Number: 484
These would also be excellent with your HK: http://www.dcmspeakers.com/products/cabinet/tp260.htm

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10451
I think, he already took delivery of the Fluance.

Silver Member

Post Number: 486
Should return or not for these Bern-what do you say?

Silver Member

Post Number: 487
Sorry I thought his Fluance package consisted of front towers. If not then JS might consider these as an alternate choice -http://www.dcmspeakers.com/products/cabinet/tp160s.htm and with the sub of his choice-not DCM preferably IMO.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10454
Can't make a comment on those as I have not heard them.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
Hey everybody. In case anyone cares, here's update on the Fluance/HK setup I got. I've been meaning to post it for weeks, but I got a new job and things have been busy. Anyway though, back to the setup.

The quality of the speakers was actually better than I expected. They are built very well, and actually look quite nice too. (The wife even thinks they look great, if thats any indication)

With my old TEAC receiver, things sounded great with the fluances. Once I hooked them up to the HK however, it was a whole different world. I was thoroughly impressed with the package. I let them break in for probably 10-15 hours before testing them very much.

One thing to note, I have no sub, so this review is strictly based on the SX-HTB+ set with an AVR 335. I used the EZ setup and changed the decibles by 2 or 3 on a couple of the speakers, but otherwise, I left it as is. I used various settings for music, but ended up liking HK's Logic 7 settting for most genres.

I like movie scores, and when listing the to score for The Rock and Gladiator, I heard instruments I had never heard in the song before. The highs sounded very clean, and lifelike. The mids had good detail as well. They produced full sound and almost made feel like I was in the music.

I tried other kinds, jazz, rock, etc. and noticed that the bass was great. I felt like lower frequencies were reproduced incredibly well and I was quite satisfied with the bass, even without a sub.

For some people, I'm sure it would be nice to have a little more bass on hand at times if you had a large room, like when watching action movies, although it wouldn't have to be necessary to enjoy the package by any means. During a couple different movies and some cd's, I went outside standing almost in the neighbors yard, and was able to hear and feel the sounds. I think if I did get a sub, having too much more bass would lead to the neighbors calling and complaining. So ultimately, this is quite competent for my needs at the moment.

Anyway, I'm sure there's more I'm forgetting, but all in all for a receiver/speaker package that cost a shade over $500, I think it's does an incredible job for something in the sub $1000 category. If anyone has any more questions please ask and I'll do my best to answer. And thanks again to everybody for the advice.

Silver Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 475
Panasonic SA-XR57S (silver) or K (black) would seem to be the "ultimate" budget (under 3-bills?) receiver.

Silver Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 476
Panasonic SA-XR57S (silver) or K (black) would seem to be the "ultimate" budget (under 3-bills?) receiver. But that Marantz is pretty sweet too.

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1916
Christopher, he has already made the purchases.

John, good stuff. But why Logic 7 in stereo content, such as CDs?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us