Archive through July 10, 2006

Gold Member
Username: Rick_b

Orlando, FL

Post Number: 1387
Whatever it takes to get you back Rantz!

Thanks John.

It's good to hear from you both, and nice of John to think of old friends.

Woof.......Scratch........Sniff

Silver Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 622
Hi Rick, I don't know if I'm really back back, we'll see I guess. One guy going on strike doesn't seem to accomplish too bl00dy much though does it?

Sniff, sniff - geez, you been down in the 'glades or something.

Oh, and I agree Rick - it was nice of John to think of his Old Dog friends if only briefly :-)

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 987
Yes, thanks John. Let me get this straight---you went out for dinner and a 40-part choir appeared singing Tallis' "Spem in alium"?

You and I live in different worlds. (smile)

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3424
"With music like that, I wonder if there is any point in trying to record it, in the first place, in whatever format or layout."

I think not. That's what live music can do that no recording or audio system can replicate. Perhaps it's admirable that we continue to try but in the end it's futile. Just enjoy recorded music in your favorite format for what it's worth with the understanding that there is no substitute for the real thing.

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 623
Sometimes the recorded format can surpass the real thing.

Gold Member
Username: John_a

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4312
MR- Welcome!

"So the wine was free, John? "

Well it was not free, but all-in, and indeed there seemed to be no end.

Rick, - my pleasure!

JOHN S "Let me get this straight---you went out for dinner and a 40-part choir appeared singing Tallis' "Spem in alium"?

You've got it. And I didn't know. Mrs A drew my attention to it, on the menu, and I thought she'd made it up. It was an annual dinner and special opening for a refurbished building. Some genius had the idea of putting that on, and putting each 5-part choir inside one of the faces of the octagon. No, I thought I did not live in such a world, either! That was a total one-off. I was second up to stand, for the ovation, richly deserved (one of my guests was first). The whole floor followed us. The amazing thing is, hardly anyone knew it, and yet everyone was totally gobsmacked.

Art;- I agree!

MR;- "Sometimes the recorded format can surpass the real thing."

I disagree!

Guys, I wish you could have been there....

If it ever comes your way, forget all preconceptions, and just go for the sound.

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 624
"MR;- "Sometimes the recorded format can surpass the real thing."

I disagree!"

What? You've never heard a bad live performance and preferred a recording of the same show? You are fortunate John.

And yes mate, I wish I could have been there too - right after the Aussies/Croatia match.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8734
CHICKEN - 19 CENTS PER POUND!

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 625
That's so cheap - I guess there's such a lot them in Texas.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 3162
Pork Bellies...priceless.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8736
Just people wanting to eat some.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8737
John - Are you happy?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20060623/wl_uk_afp/afplifestylebritainsociologyhappy offbeat

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4316
Funnily enough, it was my birthday.

Pretty good day, all in all.

After dropping the occasional hint, dear wife gave me "Quad The Closest Approach", a huge and heavy coffee-table book. I now know where "Sound Bites" came from - it is a freebie with the order.

All the best, folks.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3166
What remarkable timing!

Happy belated birthday, John!

Do enjoy your books, the Quad tome should keep your attention for a long while.

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 626
A very happy birthday to you John.

In answer to the book's title - just walk up directly to them and give them a hug :-)

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4317
Thanks, Nuck; Thanks, My Rantz.

It's Mrs A who gets the hug. They all think I am crackers, of course, wanting a book on an audio manufacturer.

Stereophile Book Review: Quad: The Closest Approach.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3168
Haha. Nobody I talk to online would find that odd at all...

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4318
Also quadesl.org's

Quad - "The Closest Approach..." A Review.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3426
A late happy birthsay to you John. Sounds like you received something you wanted. June 20th was my wife's birthday and July 4th is mine, tis that time of the year around here.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4321
Thank you, Art!

Gold Member

Orlando, FL

Post Number: 1389
A very Happy Birthday John! Please do something you truly enjoy today. Cheers!!

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4323
Thanks, Rick. It was yesterday. I did! Cheers!

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8739

A book by Ken Kessler! What more could you ask for, John?

I've read about the book and it does sound fascinating. However, I find Kessler readable.

Happy Happy Day, JA.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4325
For me, he's much more readable in "Sound Bites" and "Quad The Closest Approach" than in HiFi News. Also, he is really just an editor in the books - most of the copy is from various other authors.

Thanks, JV.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4329
Apparently Mike Oldfield phoned up Quad one day and said he urgently needed ten pairs of Quad ESLs. They could name their price. Would not take "no" for an answer. He drove up to Huntingdon and met PJ, explaining what they were for - something to do with a performance of Tubular Bells in a big hall. PJ apologised and said, in total honesty, that he thought there were better speakers from other makers for that purpose, so declined to supply. Oldfield phoned later to thank him, saying it was good advice.

Why no takers for my thread New Quad ESL models? Surely an event of note? There is a photo of the prototypes in the book.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8743
I would say no one has anything to add to the discussion, John. Everything about the Quad ESL's since your model was designed has been nothing more than dressing up what came before. At the cost of the new speakers, it's hard to imagine anyone on this forum having the cash and desire to investigate enough to add to the discussion.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4330
I guess so, Jan.

I am not a rich guy. As you may recall, I decided to spend as much as I could afford, admittedly under slightly improved circumstances, and it was the chance of a pair of factory-refurbished ESL 63s that swung it. Owning Quad ESL speakers had been sort of long-standing aspiration. People are discussing speakers on this forum that cost much more than I paid, but not for second-hand.

I have not, for one second, regreted my decision. They really are in a category of their own. You can hear it straight away, with any source.

Yes, the 988 and 989 are not much different, are miles out of my price range, and probably most other people's, here. I have not looked at the price of the latest incarnations, still the same basic design. I doubt the 988 and 989 will come down in price just because of the introduction of the new models. There is always more demand than supply. Maybe PJ turned down Mike Oldfield because ten pairs going to him would have meant ten valued customers having to wait even longer for one pair each.

Being halfway throught the book, the only speaker I might look out for, one day, would be the ESL 57.... Just for another room, you understand....

Were you in the demonstration business when they changed from the 57 to the 63? That was 1981, I believe. There are folks who say it was a retrograde step, but Walker seemed to be very proud of the 63 and thought it was an improvement. They were still b-ggers to assemble, apparently, and Quad probably never made money out of either speaker. Their profitable side was the amps.

Anyway, I hope Quad under IAG sells tons of the new ESL models to the super-rich. It does look like IAG is aware of the value of what it's got, there.

BTW It was American patents and papers on the theory of electroacoustics that got Walker all fired up about electrostatic speakers, in about 1955. But he kept being told they were impractical. Fortunately, he had a mind of his own, and his own company. Factoid; PJ drove an Alpha Romeo. Clearly completely mad.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3192
Sorry about not posting on your thread, John.
For once, I shut up about something that I know nothing about.
I have read all your links, and I really feel good for you , your gifts and your posts.
And for your atention to my situation.

A happy Sunday afternoon from the GWN.

(sunny and 25...)

Schorr!

Germany could go the next round...
England is in my heart, though.
I like underdogs in this cup, as always. Too bad Korea went down. Liked em.
Netherlands? That would be great!

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4332
Thanks, Nuck! Much appreciated. "GWN" - shouldn't that be "GNW"..?!

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 627
Nuck - talking of underdogs, what about Australia?

Go the Socceroos! Down goes Italy!

John,

You may not be wealthy, but you are rich where it counts I believe. And I did look at your Quad thread, but there's also nothing I can think of to add.

Back to cables

I recently purchased some speaker bi-wire cable (4x14 guage) made by - er for - an Aussie company which my dealer let me have for decent price (http://www.kordz.com/SPECTRUM2.4MkII.htm) and found it be be excellent value. I had been using Monster (about 10awg I believe) on the lower end and some of the cheaper Kimber braided wire for the tweeters which gave a very agreeble sound but looked very untidy. I knew I was taking a punt on this purchase but it turned out to be an improvement once more. The good, deep, solid bass is certainly retained, but the mids are more open and there is even more fine detail right up to the highs than I thought was possible. I'm very impressed. I feel that it would be an interesting excercise to know how much more money I would need to spend on my system (or what to ugrade) now to make me feel there would be a truly worthwhile improvemement over what I deem to be quite excellent at this point. Not that I intend to do so, mind you, even if I was fortunate enough to be in that financial position. Like John A, I'm rich where it counts also. Anyway, various speaker cables, as far as my ears are concerned, certainly can make a difference.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8745

I was selling at the time of the change from the 57 to the ESL; but, the dealer I worked for at that time hadn't carried the Quads for several years before the change. Still the original Quad is one of the few speakers that stuck in my memory from the times I had listened through it several years previous. The two speakers are not similar in most respects. The original Quad was not a true point source as the ESL was worked out to be. Other than the midrange they don't really even sound that much alike. But, they are both easily identified as Walker designs.

Stereophile is running a few articles on reworking a pair of 57's. In the second article the author writes of a conversation with Walker's son who guesses the labor involved in producing the two speakers was so intensive that the company probably never made any money on the speaker.

The Quads are a very special speaker that I would love to own. I have never had the space to justify the speaker and I would rather do without than compromise on the sound of the speaker. The Spicas and the Rogers I've owned over the last fifteen years have had qualities similar to the Quads and I'll live with that and the ability to place them properly.

I doubt I'll hear the new Quad designs. No one in Texas, to my knowledge, carries Quad right now and those who have part of the line often choose not to display the panels. If I had to choose, I'd probably get a pair of 57's just because they are a better fit than the ESL's. And, they better fit my system right now. Plus they would be like dating a first love all over again.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4333
MR;- Thank you!

Jan;- Thank you, too. I read the article on refurbishing ESL 57s, in the June Issue of Stereophile. I'll get the July issue, too, when it gets over here. That sort of work is really beyong the amateur, I think. Still, if all you have is a pair rescued from a dumpster. BTW there are excellent repair/service agents in US, so I read. There are repair stories in "The closest approach". E.g. someone brought in a Quad II which had been in a shed, and was filled with, and covered with, pigeon droppings. They fixed it, of course.

It heard a demo of the 57s in 1979, I think. The sound was so vivid I shall never forget it. It only took me 26 years to catch up! The 63s seem to have practical advantages, but indeed are bigger. The 989 is bigger again, with extra bass panels, not part of the original design. Tony Faulkner (recording engineer) says her now uses the 989s which is like having a car with an extra 1000 cc in the engine.

BTW about relative cost - have you seen the price of big plasma screen TVs being discussed elsewhere on the forum....? Much more than a pair of new Quads. I know which I'd rather have!

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8747

Price?! Both major(?) subjective audio magazines ran articles reporting on the January CES show. Particularly in The Absolute Sound, the stated case was "affordable" gear is now whatever is priced beneath $10,000. I thought it was bad when I was selling; but, nowdays the idea that a $6,500 Redbook only CDP is an "affordable" if not "bargain" device essential to decent playback has gotten out of hand. I perfectly understand upscale marketing but not to the extent where cables and accessories have risen to unbelivable levels and become essentials in getting "decent" playback. The current Stereophile contains three speaker reviews. The $6,500 Vandersteen Quattro bests the $45,000 Wilson's in soundstaging, imaging, detail and dimensionality. They are musically involving in a true-to-the-source manner. Yet the Wilsons, in a "Follow up" section of the same magazine, remain the gold ring for which we should stretch.

There has been a steady decline in the middle class of America, most especially in the US. The top gets "toppier" and the middle has less around the middle. Fuller bottoms are becoming more common. Dallas has for decades raised rents on businesses three and four fold to "get rid of the riff-raff." Of course I protest I am the riff-raff they want to get rid of.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4334
These books I have been reading are very interesting from the point of view of HiFi history.

In UK certainly there was a rising general prosperity in the 1950s together with a lot of people who had learned some electronics in the armed forces, and were keen on new opportunities to bring broadcast and recorded music into the home. People were not rich, but they had a little money and many were happy to build from kits. There was a Wireless World Class "A" amp published in 1953 with GEC KT66 power valves from which the Quad II and other commecial amps were derived, for those who wanted, and could afford, one ready-made.

Anyway, it seems there was an expanding "middle" in those days.

We sort of forget broadcasting today, but tuners were the in thing, then, and the BBC were beginning FM broadcasts (lagging somewhat behind the US, where FM was developed). A live FM broadcast was the audiophile's favourite source; no wow and flutter and what have you. Then came stereo, first as broadcasts, and then on the new microgroove LP.

Yes, I saw the ads in the June Stereophile, and marvelled.

Part of the sales pitch for "Hi-End" seems to be its exclusivity. Looking at the old ads, that did not seem to be true in the early days of HiFi, it was more the technical marvel of being able to bring real, convincing music into the home.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8749

From my perspective the fifties and sixties were a period of inclusive instruction. Bringing music into the home and learning the wonders of electricity and music reproduction. As you've said, the effort was made mostly by those who had learned the engineering side of the equation in the Armed Forces or, on this side of the pond, the WPA projects of the thirties. Most of what I read from the work done in the thirties at Bell Labs, General Electric and the radio networks still holds true today and is the basis for much of what we think of as new. Today's market is marked, I fear, by the exclusivity of the high end and the inclusion of more crap at the bottom. There are some very good products at reasonable cost but the market is dividing along partisan lines.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4336
I agree completely, Jan. A lot of the claimed wonders at the "high end" are smoke and mirrors. There is not much that is really new, outside of digital recording, and that's been around for a quarter century. We have surround sound, of course, which is where this thread started. But all that really needs is a suitable source and more channels, a bit like the transition from mono to stereo. There has been no fundamental breakthrough in sound reproduction for a very long time.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3428
Well guys I didn't dare say it until now because I didn't want to jinx it...my alma mater Oregon State Beavers just won the College Baseball World Series and are the national champions. They were the unlikeliest winner as they lost the first game of the series and had to win 6 elimination games to get it done. Oregon State FIGHT, FIGHT, FIGHT....GO BEAVS!!!!! Sorry but I just had to share....These kids showed incredible heart and focus....unreal!

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 628
And the Socceroos were defeated by Italy in the World Cup Soccer series because of a corrupt ref (if he isn't corrupt then he needs glasses)!

We were cheated. Congrats to Italy anyway :-)

Gold Member
Username: Larry_r

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1532
Art: Congrats to your Beavers. . .and since you're in the mood for "fight, fight, fight!" cheers - to keep up your spirits, try renting a 1985 Tom Hanks-John Candy movie: "Volunteers!" Oh, Mr. Candy "fights" for Washington, not Oregon, State - but the mood is the same, and it's a broadly funny movie - IMHO.

MR - sorry - seems that ev-body's getting bought off these days. . .sigh.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8759

There is a writer for the New York Times not currently engaged in treason (by anyone's stretch of the Constitutional provisions and limitations which they blithely choose to ignore themself) but who is in love with a word. While covering the JVC Jazz Festival Stephen Holden has, in several reviews, employed the word "melisma". I have a dictionary definition but I'm still unsure of what the word means in usage by a vocalist. Can anyone help?

melisma
Pronunciation:mi-*liz-m*
Function:noun
Inflected Form:plural melismata \-m*-t*\
Etymology:New Latin, from Greek, song, melody, from melizein to sing, from melos song
Date:circa 1880

1 : a group of notes or tones sung on one syllable in plainsong
2 : melodic embellishment
3 : CADENZA
--melismatic \*me-l*z-*ma-tik\ adjective

Username: Donrx1

Post Number: 1
a group of notes or tones sung on one syllable in plainsong

Jan,

Take the Christmas carol, "Angels We Have Heard on High", where the "Gloria" is sung and "spread" over the song's descending chord changes before it ends with In excelsis deo:

Glo - o - o - o - o - o - ria The "o" as it is stretched over 4 measures is melismatic, i.e., that one syllable is sung as a group or sequence of notes.

I hope that helps.

Don

Gold Member

Post Number: 3201
Alternatively, the doors also did Glooooooria, spreading over several bars.
As well, JM did several bars and stretched them out with 'what'cha doin' baby'?

I hope that helps as well.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4342
Yes, I vote for definition (1) but it does not have to be plainchant. And add "in sequence; forming a melodic phrase". And instruments can be melismatic, too, in which case the notes are slurred or tied.

Here is the real match of the day: EMI bids from Warner and it is thrown back. Warner now bids for EMI. Hope they don't get it. I always support underdogs and home teams. The argument is that, together, Warner-EMI/EMI-Warner can take on Sony-BMG and Universal. Take them on for what, I am not sure.

Perhaps they should get the directors to play paintball, and the winner takes all?

Why are do all companies seem to be bent on world domination?

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 630
Because they are working for their shareholders.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4343
And not for their customers. Yes, I see. Thanks. I think that's probably it.

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 631
Wot? Companies working for their customers? Where?

Actually John, I think some companies do send their execs to play paintball - brings out the aggression.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4345
I'm out of my depth with economics, MR, as you know. Often when companies merge they reduce product lines. That would be a shame, in this case.

Took son to play paintball with his classmates in Sunday. They had a terrific time.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8762

Thanks for the information.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4348
What, all of it....?!

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4350
Just out over here is a special issue of Hi-Fi News "Celebrating 50 Years of Audio Excellence".

The first issue of the magazine was July 1956.

There are the names and short descriptions of the 50 most significant people in hifi; top 50 recordings; top 50 components - "kit that changed the world"; etc,

There is also a 1956 vs 2006 system shootout by our friend Ken. "Just to see if there's been any progress since Eisenhower was your president".

I will not write spoilers!

Interesting and provocative.

There is also an article by Barry Fox on what Hi-Fi will look like in 2056. Hmmm. Not sure about that.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3206
No spoilers?

Does that mean Quad didn't rate? hehe

That looks a good read, John. I'll look for it.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8766

John - It would be less than polite of me to single out who gave the most and least helpful information.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4352
Well, The Linn man, Mr T., scrapes in at No. 50. I think Jan would probably agree with the top 10 people. The names if not the ranking order. Yes, Nuck, Quad gets mention, here and there.

You don't need a summary from me, now!

Let's come back to it.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8775

50?! Ivor changed the way people think about a system. How much more important can you get? Technologically he can be bettered and he has since sold out to the "elites". But, still, 50?!

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4354
You wanna see the other 49, Jan....

Amar Bose comes in at 46. Personally, I'd swap those two.

The real audio giants are there, no question.

The real title for the feature is "50 most important audio pioneers".

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4359
"On this day"....

Battle of the Somme: 1 July - 13 November 1916.
Somme horror marked 90 years on.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8778
"The prince said the magnitude of losses was "unimaginable" but added that they still caused "profound shock"."

It's difficult to imagine what actually causes
profound shock unless it strikes close to home.

"Defence Secretary Des Browne, in northern France, said: 'I can't look at a row of gravestones that are there to remember people, some of them very young, some of them in their teens, without a great sense of sadness'."

Interesting to see the three stories which are linked together at the bottom of the page.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4361
Don't ask princes and defence secretaries.

Ask Tommy Atkins.

He won't answer.

He didn't come back.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4362
Sorry.

Wikipedia - Tommy Atkins.

The speeches were appalling. They always are. Like George W at Omaha Beach in 2004.

The Somme Tommy Atkins would have been Old Dog-age by 1956. But he never grew old enough to read Hi-Fi News.

Someone please change the subject.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3231
Canadian pride and supplication to my great, great grandfather, died on the shores of the Somme, Canadian Regiment frontman.

Happy Canada day to all my friends!

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3433
Better news my son was released with an honorable discharge yesterday after serving his 3 yrs and 2 tours in Iraq. He is expected home for good next week. Probably on the 5th of July, the day after my birthday. He's happy to be a civilian again (duh). Happy Canada day Nuck!

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 634
Congrats on his safe return Art. It must be a heartwarming occasion for you and Mrs Kyle. And many happy returns for ID.

And happy Canada Day Nuck and other Canadians.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4364
A real pleasure to read these last remarks.

Nuck - My respects, and thanks.

Art - Wonderful to learn. Born on Independence Day! And what a present.

Jan - I get a bit "tired and emotional" on this issue. Sorry I did not respond. I share your view of the linked stories and the razzamatazz. I wish politicians would just stop and think, occasionally, and show a little respect, not grab another opportunity to promote themselves. HRH seemed to grab the opportunity to promote his wife, from the news clip I saw.

My Rantz- Cheers!

Gold Member

Orlando, FL

Post Number: 1394
I am always happy to welcome home an American patriot. We are all proud of him Art. I quess you got the best birthday gift of all! Cheers!!

Gold Member

Post Number: 3239
Indeed a great weekend for the Kyle's!
A fine handshake for your son, Art, a miserable task to say the least, but pride in a job well done.

Happy birthday, Art, in case I am not around then, and a Happy 4th to all our American friends!

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3435
Thank you for the well wishes all. I'm going to Seattle for the holiday. Much fun to be had.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8780

Congrats, Art.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3437
Thanks Jan. Happy 4th to everyone.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8786

My nephew is still in the Baghdad region for another six months. He has signed up for another four years of service and will probably be sent back to Iraq not long after he returns stateside. Unless, of course, political wills make changes in the planning of the occupation. While he is in a relatively "safe" zone and performing no combat missions he did report a mortar shell landed about 100' from his sleeping quarters a few nights ago.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4368
Best wishes for his safe return, Jan.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8790
Thanks, John; we feel as safe as can be about his return. Watching C-Span today I saw a forum presented at the Kennedy Library which discussed the effects and lessons of Vietnam. Rather interesting stuff actually. All the panel members were, of course, veterans of that "police action"/war. Several had been wounded in battle. One had been held prisoner of war by the North Vietnamese for more than five years. To hear each member discuss how they got through, and continue to get through, each day was humbling material.

I really don't know why we have to kill, torture and maim each other. I cannot believe that whatever deity one prays to that this is the plan.

Gold Member

Orlando, FL

Post Number: 1395
Happy 4th to ALL!

I wish your nephew a safe return Jan. No such thing as a "safe" area in a war zone. You just have to trust your instincts and training.

BTW- God left this planet long ago.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4369
I just heard a short announcement on the radio about Lorraine Hunt Lieberson - Larry and Two Cents introduced her name to me, here, I think. I cannot confirm the announcement on any news website. Anyone heard anything?

Happy 4th July. All the good guys were on your side in 1776!

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4371
Well, Lorraine Hunt Lieberson, mezzo-soprano, died yesterday, aged 52. What sad news.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8796
Thanks, Rick. I hate to say it but my nephew is not the brightest bulb in the marquee. He chose the Army due to his inability to get a job in the area he lived in. I think his training has been good. He asked to specialize in small arms. He is fascinated by weapons. As Wesley Clark said, if you want to play with firearms, join the Army. They have lots of them. He sent a video and showed us part of his job. He had an extra piece left over when he reassembled the weapon. He only had to disasssemble five parts. The lights are blinking.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3244
Well, maybe he was under pressure to field strip the weapon. That's kind of...hard...to...

never mind.

Hey, if everybody was Mozart, we wouldn't remember him today

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 642
Yes, happy 4th to our US friends.

Okay, you won your independence, but did you use it well?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3250
And Happy Birthday, Art.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8801

If no one was Mozart, we wouldn't remember him at all.

Some folks think we did OK with our freedom until recently.

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 643
Actually I think you did okay with it also - no one's perfect.

Yes, many happies Art!

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4373
--- YEP ---

Silver Member
Username: Sem

New York USA

Post Number: 598
Somewhat late, been away.

"Better news my son was released with an honorable discharge yesterday after serving his 3 yrs and 2 tours in Iraq. He is expected home for good next week."

That's wonderful, wonderful news Art!

All best,
Sem

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3438
Thanks MR, John and Sem (hope I didn't miss anyone). Just back from Seattle...great fireworks displays.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3439
Picked up some good music in Seattle, both on vinyl and on silver platters. I had already picked up the Alberta Hunter "Amtrak Blues" cd that Jan had mentioned and my wife and I enjoyed it a great deal. I found it in Seattle on vinyl in what appears to be perfect condition. Looking forward to giving it a spin.

Silver Member
Username: Two_cents

Post Number: 772
John A.,

I'm saddened to hear about LHL's death. To think I saw her live only a couple of years makes it even sadder. She was a soloist performing Mahler's Second with MTT and the SFSO. She gave one of those performances that tranformed a familiar work into something new and grander. I think I held my breath when she sang. What a terrible loss.

Silver Member
Username: Two_cents

Post Number: 773
Art,

Happy belated birthday. I'm glad to hear about your son's safe return from Iraq. I hope the other sons and daughters in Iraq and Afghanistan share an equally fortunate fate.

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 650
Good to see you around again Sem. I'm still waiting for "Wish You Were Here" on SACD. Any news?

Ditto to you Two Cents. There are some others that haven't been around to sniff this kennel for a while also.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4386
Two Cents;- Good to hear from you. I remember your recommending LHL in the SFSO Mahler recordings especially. I heard her singing some Handel on the radio recently. What a beautiful voice.

Silver Member
Username: Sem

New York USA

Post Number: 599
"Good to see you around again Sem. I'm still waiting for "Wish You Were Here" on SACD. Any news?"

Thanks MR. No, I haven't heard anything different than the 4th quarter '06 release mentioned a while back. Still, it wouldn't surprise me to see the date pushed out though.

In other Floyd news the Pulse dvd is finally being released next week.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BTC5LW

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 655
Thanks Sem.

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 656
Larry

My pm's to your addresses keep coming back - blacklisted again. I'll try again soon. Just so you know your reply was received. Sadness and dismay, my friend.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4391
Larry's profile has an e-mail address, too, My Rantz.

Several new recordings I like the look of are available only as CD/SACD hybrids. The ratchet clicks. It really seems as if SACD is gaining ground.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3302
And Tim's thread on Reference quality recordings has a link for Hong Kong issue discs that are all sacd and hdcd enabled.
Seems thats the only way they release over there.
Tim is impressed with DOSM in the format.

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 657
Thanks John - you'da thunk that woulda dawned on me!

Gold Member

Post Number: 3310
This is a pre-amp review, although there is more to it than just that. Not bad, a lot of familiar jargon and expressionism, along with a couple of reference sources.
Bon Appetit.

http://www.audiophilia.com/hardware/ma17.htm

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 658
Just read the Apollo review on the Stereophile web-site. Seems John and many others have a fine cdp. Also read the record of the month review which was Dr John's "Mercernary" of which both my wife and I concur:

http://stereophile.com/recordingofthemonth/606rotm/

But then Mac ain't for everyone.

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 660
An alien? A extra large tourist?

If you have Google Earth go to Queensland Aust. Go to the SE corner. There is something strange in the Southport broadwater. If this is an invasion Lord help us!

Coordinates:27dg 58'04.21" S 153dg 25'08.30" E

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4393
My Rantz,

Clearly an Unidentified Floating Object.

Perhaps it's a message to the skies: welcome to Oz. Left hand waving; wide-brim hat. No tinny, though.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4395
Own up, MR.....

Upload

Gold Member

Orlando, FL

Post Number: 1396
Yep! Fat American tourist. When seen on the Australian beaches, he kept getting pushed back in the ocean.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us