New member, looking for wisdom....

Username: Wattsssup

ON Canada

Post Number: 1
Hey guys,

I'm a new member to this site, and fairly new to home audio, around a year and a half. I bought some Sennheiser HD600 headphones about a year ago, and have been running them through my Denon (2nd amp). The sound is ok, but I know it could be alot better. I'm thinking about getting a headphone amp, i've read hundreds of reviews, but I'd really like your suggestions if you have any. From what I've read so far, it seems like the Musical Fidelity Xcan V3 is the runaway favorite, but I have no place to go and check them out, I'd have to order online. I've also read some about the Grado amps and the Headroom. Those didn't sound to be of the same calliber. Any suggestions?

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 3749
Hi Marc.
Where are you that you can't get a demo of these units?
Try these guys.
www.alternativeaudio.com

ON Canada

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the quick reply Nuck. I live in Barrie, I've been everywhere here, and nobody carries headphone amps or knows much about them for that matter. That Alternative Audio store looks real appealing, I'll have to make the trek out there one of these weekends. It is a fair distance though, would you or anyone else know of any good places in Toronto?

Thanks.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3754
Barrie!
Home of the National bbq cook-off this weekend!
My sister is on the reigning National Champ team,Dizzy pig' there!

Anyhow, BayBloor has everything, but expensive.
Good hunting!

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1565
Marc,

Here's a really off-the-wall suggestion for you. The HD600s are pretty good headphones, but a little laid back and pedestrian in terms of timing. This can be helped enormously by replacing the standard headphone wire with the equivalent from Cardas Audio. It transforms the headphones.

The MF X-Cans is OK, but it only really gets going with the optional high spec power supply in my view.

Other brands that make headphone amps that I rate -

Pro-Ject Audio make two variants. The Head Box II and the Head Box SE. They're both good and inexpensive. Have a look at http://www.project-audio.com for more details in the accessories section.

Naim Audio - Ok so this is NOT cheap, but it's the best headphone amp I know of below silly money. It's called the Headline and requires an external power supply. These vary in price from relatively inexpensive to exorbitantly expensive.

Regards,
Frank.

Bronze Member
Username: Mike3

Lewisville, Tx USA

Post Number: 63
Frank,

I have Sennheiser HD-580 cans which are hard-wired. Would changing out the headphone wire be an option?

Thanks,

Mike

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1577
Mike

I was under the impression that the 580s could have their lead changed just as easily as any other Sennheiser. They appear to be hardwired but in fact they're not, and they share the same wire as the 600 AFAIK. Have a look in the headphone manual and I think you'll find instructions on how to replace the wire which is a standard Sennheiser item for that range.

If I'm right, you'll get rewards by replacing it, but I don't know how cost effective they would be since I haven't tried the Cardas cable on the 580s.

Regards,
Frank.

Bronze Member

Lewisville, Tx USA

Post Number: 68
Frank,

I'll give it a try. My thinking being there should be closer similarities than differences between the 580s and the 600s.

Thanks,

Mike

Silver Member
Username: Ravbains

MelbourneAustralia

Post Number: 235
Hi Michael,

the cable on the 580 is definitely removable. It just needs a firm pull to release the plug-in connector.

Here is a link to the Cardas cable:

http://www.dedicatedaudio.com/inc/sdetail/135

I am considering this cable also, since I just bought a pair of HD650s today.

cheers
Rav

ON Canada

Post Number: 3
Hey guys,

Nuck, sorry missed the cook-off, way too much traffic at the lakefront this weekend.

Hey Frank, thanks for your input, I'm glad you brought up the replacement cables for the Sennheisers, I have been reading about the Cardas lately, as well as the Equinox. Have you heard any of these? Reviews seem to differ as to which one I should go for. I don't think one is necessarily better than the other, simply different. I believe the equinox is slightly more money and has a 10-14 week waiting period for order. I also don't believe I'd find a dealer here that would carry them (for a listen). As for your amp suggestions, I will definately keep an eye out for them, and keep them in mind when I do some "investigative" listening, however, the Naim appears to be outside my spending budget at the moment.

Is the power supply you are talking about for the MF made by MF? Or is there another option for this power supply I should be researching?

Thanks for all the help.

Marc

Bronze Member

Lewisville, Tx USA

Post Number: 71
Thanks Rav and Frank,

I ordered the new Cardas Audio headphone wires. And you are both correct, I was able to unplug and replug my 580's wires.

I had actually wanted to do this for some time but did not realize that my wires unplugged. Live and learn, that is what's so cool about this site.

Mike

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1583
Mike,

Actually, that's what's so cool about Sennheisers! :-) They really are very maintainable for long periods after purchase (I still sell pads for 20 year old models!). Let us know what you think of the Cardas please.

Marc, the optional power supply is made by MF and is called the X-PSU v3.

Regards,
Frank.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3800
Nice contribution, Frank.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1587
Thanks Nuck, though the idea that Marc wanted wisdom makes me wonder why he posted on a forum...!

Bronze Member

Lewisville, Tx USA

Post Number: 92
Frank and Rav,

First, nothing is simple. USPS put my Caradas wires in my neighbors mail box. 5 days later I get a knock on my door as their house sitter recognized that the name and address on the box did not match the apartment he was in...

Good thing he did not open the box first!

Too soon to tell anything as I only listened to about 3 songs late last night, or so I thought. Already there is definitely a deeper, broader, richer sound through the cans. Clearly more bass extension. For now imaging is consistent with the original Sennheiser wires. I will allow a little more burn in before I update the post. The beauty of this is that I did not overly research the Cardas headphone wires so I have no pre-determined notion as what to expect.

ON Canada

Post Number: 5
Okay, maybe "wisdom" was a strong word. Ideas, opinions would have been better. I appreciate the ones I've gotten so far, they have given me much to think about. I am currently leaning towards a tube amp, as this would be the first one that I own, and I'd like to experiment, however, I am not sure if this is the better option given the laid-back style of the HD600. Any wisdom, whoops....I mean opinions, would be read with great interest. I am also looking forward to reading Michael's follow-up on the cardas upgrade.

Cheers,

Marc.

Silver Member
Username: Rick_ross

Post Number: 372
yo
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us