New System comments

Username: Rustic23

Houston, Tx Usa

Post Number: 2
I am putting together a new system for a 18 x 22 foot room. It could be considered larger as it opens with double doors to another 18 by 22 foot room. I was considering the following.
Rti8's front -$299 each
Rti6's middle - $349 pair
Rti6's rear - $349 pair
CSI5 Center - $349
Sub Polk 404 $399
Amp Onkyo 702 or Denon 2106 or HK Avr 340
$561 vs $595 vs $647

All prices include delivery and tax. Limited selection. That is why I selected rti6's for mid and rear speakers. I would appreciate any comments. This system comes to about $2,500 and I would like to stay in that range.

Username: Rustic23

Houston, Tx Usa

Post Number: 3
I forgot to add, this is for HT only. Seldom or never use this for music.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 9241
Nice system! For the receiver, I prefer the HK over the others you are canvassing, they really play well together.

Gold Member
Username: Kano

BC Canada

Post Number: 1054
Rti6's middle - $349 pair

Check out the Fxi3 or 5s, I prefer the di-poles for the sides, direct firing for the surround back, but it's all about preference.

I have -
Polk Rti8
Polk Csi3
Polk Fxi3
Polk PSW404
Harman Kardon AVR430

The HK/Polk combo is excellent IMO, the Polk sub is definitely the weakest link, and at $399 you can do much better with a SVS PB-10NSD for $429

http://www.svsound.com/products-sub-box-10nsd.cfm

I A/Bed the PSW404 against a PB-10ISD over a weekend and the difference was immense.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 4387
With the Polk RTis and this being HT only, I'd make a beeline for the $230-300 Panasonic sa-xr55/57 digital switching amps. Do a search on the AVS Forum for either of those receivers and you'll see why.

I'd also put the savings into a much better sub than that Polk...I'd look at an SVS PB10 or PB12, either of which would pulverize the Polk sub.

Also I would not go with such large speakers. For the fronts, the RTi6s will be fine and for surrounds the RTi4s and/or the FXi3/5s that Kano recommends would be plenty. A floorstander's main advantage is the extra bass that the bigger cabinet provides, but with a decent sub in play that is completely moot for HT use.

Bronze Member
Username: Jorge59

Rio de JaneiroBrasil

Post Number: 87
Aren't these Polks a bit too expensive? Are they worth the price, in SQ?

Do they excel a set up of Ascends 340SE across the front and HTM-200 surrounds, plus STF-2 sub, that cost altogether $1.729 shipped?

Down from the $ 2,5K budget it would be plenty of "change" for the receiver (though for HT only you don't need to spend more than $500 on it).

Gold Member

Post Number: 4396
Yes. No.

No.

However the OP has not indicated if he's open to buying Internet-direct. Some people simply are not, and are willing to pay more money for less quality.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1568
And sometimes more money for more quality, more advice and better expertise...

Gold Member

Post Number: 4398
Yes, the $600/pair Ascends could not compete with say $4000/pair Martin Logans.

Gold Member

BC Canada

Post Number: 1057
"willing to pay more money for less quality."

What makes the Polks of less quality than the Ascends? If they sound better to your ears that's great, but the Polks are well built with quality components, the cabinets look better and are well built. They perform well across all aspects of sound reproduction.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4427
The RTi8 at $650 a pair would come closest to the Ascend 340SE ($594/pair) in price.

That particular Polk does have a more attractive cabinet no doubt, but is a bit muddy in the mids and kind of dull with the highs...to my ears that is.

The Ascends certainly handle higher volumes better, the RTi8 (and especially the smaller RTi4 and 6) break up very quickly when you crank them up. That does NOT indicate quality components at all.

Gold Member

BC Canada

Post Number: 1058
Not in my experience. The Rti8s were a little dull running off my HK, but I have never experienced any break-up at all. When I powered them with a 200W a side power amp they opened up quite a bit and I started hearing bass from them, indicating at least to me that they need quite a bit of power.

What receiver were you hooking them up to? They probably will sound better hooked up to something other than a 5 pound plastic receiver that can't handle impedence dips. heh

Bronze Member
Username: Darth

The woodlands

Post Number: 76
That particular Polk does have a more attractive cabinet no doubt, but is a bit muddy in the mids and kind of dull with the highs...to my ears that is.

Says the man who his best places for auditioning inlcude Best Buy and Fry's at best. Heh

The Polks are fine speakers, and in my opinion the HK will be the best match for them but then again what do I know, next to edster no one seems to know anything about audio (according to him, of course). lol lol lol lol

Bronze Member

The woodlands

Post Number: 77
Kano,

Yes, you are right, the RTi series need lots of current to get the best out of them, I have listened them with NAD electronics and they sound p r e t t y ---d a m n --- good. they produce a very nice tight bass, clear mids and very good highs; my friend played Creed's "one" on his 12's and the sound was awesome. very niice indeed.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4438
geez Vader, you do have a persistent memory---you keep repeating the same old line about Fry's that you used to trot out while posting as one of about a dozen different anonymous and unregistered users back when eCoustics didn't require registration.

LOL I was hoping you'd finally come up with a single original thought for a change. I'll keep hoping...

Gold Member

Post Number: 4439
Kano,

I heard the RTi's powered by an HK 7200, which has a torroidal transformer and should have no shortage of power. No doubt an external amp might have more power but I don't think so. The RTi10 and RTi12 handled the same volume level far far better, using that HK.

Gold Member

BC Canada

Post Number: 1059
The speakers eat up a surprising amount of power. Most receivers and amps will play them plenty loud without distortion, but if you want to "crank them up" even that HK's 100W a channel may distort at higher levels. The Rti10s and 12s use a different crossover network, the 8s may prove harder to drive.

They really do like the juice, I have 200w a side going into the 8s and can max the output out with no distortion and room for more.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 3810
Kano, your avr430 has 200x2 wide open into Rti8's? Is that correct?

Gold Member

BC Canada

Post Number: 1060
http://www.yorkville.com/products.asp?type=30&cat=8&id=23

using this

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 3812
gotcha, that isn't in your profile.

Bronze Member
Username: Eib_nation

Ohio EIBville

Post Number: 86
Polks will sound best with one of those $200 Panasonic all digital receivers:-)

Bronze Member

The woodlands

Post Number: 81
Rush,
good one....ROTFL ! :-)

John Charlton,
for what is worth, If you are still around and I hope you are; the Polk set up you have in mind will sound very nice for H.T. indeed. The CSi5 simply gets the job done, very nice center channel.

Have you checked e-bay? I have seen some RTi'6 go for $275.00 new, just a thought.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4454
> Polks will sound best with one of those $200 Panasonic all digital receivers

well, maybe not "best" but not too far off, either!

LOL
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us