Using a receiver's DAC for CD playback?

Sorry if this is a stupid question. I have a basic CD player (Sony CDP XE 370). I am using the onboard DAC via RCA connectors to my AV receiver (Marantz SR 5200). Is it possible to use the optical output on the CD player, bypassing its onboard DAC, into the receiver. Does every receiver have an onboard DAC? If it is possible are there any potential sound quality benefits? I believe the Marantz would have a better quality DAC. I want to know what is possible before taking a chance and spending money on an optical cable.

Derek
You can safely say all A/V receivers have onboard DACs. The biggest advantage to using the digital cable on a CD player is the elimination of a digital to analog (inside the CD player), analog to digital (inside the receiver) step. Essentially everything passed through an A/V receiver is converted to digital for proccessing. Using the digital cable brings the number of conversions in your system from 3 to 1.

Hope this helps.

Frantic
I have a Sony DVD/CD (NS405) player and Yamaha's RX-V420 receiver. I compared RCA connection vs optical and found out that the sound quality is much better when Yamaha is doing the digital-analog conversion. There was really no competition; the difference was obvious. With optical connection there was more detail, better imaging, more solid bass etc..

Try both connections and decide your self. For me this was an easy decission.

Paul T
Frantic,
You are 100% on the money with that statement!!! Although I think you meant to say in closing with the "RCA" connection you found "there was more detail, better imaging, more solid bass etc.. ". I have a 9 year old Yamaha CDX-710U and connected both digital coax and analog RCA into my brand new NAD T752 and there was absolutely no comparison the analog connection using Yamaha's DAC was much better.. All the same reasons as you listed.. Correct me if I was wrong about your conclusion..
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us