Need help

Username: Dhansen1

Post Number: 1
I want to upgrade surround sound and our stereo receiver. I do not have a store within 100 miles. So I need help, please.
I will keep the speakers they are Klipsch RF-7 series on both units.
I have 2 onkyo tx 840 {1985}and a technic's cd player {1990}.
When I am running the receiver a little hard for a couple of hours it kick's out.
Denon avr 3803???
CD???
Dennis

Post Number: 2
What am I doing wrong? No posts...I am new at this thread stuff.
I have found out that my old Onkyo has 150 watts per channel and the denon 3803 only has 120/channel x 8.....what am I missing?
My equipment is old and it has shut down on me several times. I am running two rf-7 on A and two rb-35 on B. The runs are somewhat long 35' so I upgraded to heavy speaker wire and it did not help. Took my other identical receiver and hooked it up and it blows the internal breaker also After 15-20 minutes it works again. So it must not have enough power.
So I thought buy new.........and have no idea what to get since I read at one time different speakers need diferent drivers. Never had a problem since my old speakers were 24 years old and thought that they could not be beat. The klipsch's are amazing.
Do I need an amp? If so what?

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1749
The RF-7 are a difficult load, dropping below 4 ohm at some frequency (I'd have to look it up). You'll need a receiver with a good amp section, or plug in a separate amplifier from the receiver pre-outs.

Ask on the Klipsch forum too: http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 9176
For that kind of budget, you may want to take a look at Outlaw Audio. They can handle a lot of difficult speaker loads withou so much as a hiccup.

http://www.outlawaudio.com/

Bronze Member
Username: Eib_nation

Ohio EIBville

Post Number: 80
Dennis,
Your receiver could be shutting down for any number of reasons, and your speakers may have nothing to do with the problem. For one thing, your current receiver power rating is irrelevent to your problem. It can be related to your wiring(maybe a wire is connected incorrectly or defective, or bare wire is touching something it shouldnt), the electric in your home, receiver..... who knows? For all I know, it could be shutting down due to overheating because of the lack of ventilation. From the information above, we wont be able to diagnose the problem. It could very well be a defect of that model number & brand.

Most large speakers like yours are going to drop a pretty heavy loads if you push them. While you'll need a quality receiver to make those speakers sound their best, even an entry level receiver will be able to drive those Klipsch without any problem because they are very efficient, and dont require a lot of power to push them.

I would use this as a perfect excuse to upgrade that old receiver, and I have a feeling that your problems will disappear.

The Denon you listed is an excellent receiver choice, as are most in that price range. Which model is best for you really depends on what you want from your receiver. Do use your system a lot for movies, or primarily for music?

Post Number: 3
Peter and Berny..thanks for the websites!

Rush, I have 119 volts coming in, no wires are touching or even close. I have put a small fan on the receiver it still kicked out but it took a little longer. If I only run one set of speakers it never happens even if I push it to 60%-70% volume.
I want to buy new. I want to make sure that I get a system that will work better than I have. This system is for music only.

I also have the same receiver running in my cinema surround sound system which is also the klipsch rf7 surround package without the base. It works fine except that if I am going to upgrade I want to do this correctly also.

Thanks for the help!

Dennis

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 4381
Onkyos are notoriously underpowered with a very trigger-happy protection mechanism that shuts them down long before they reach their advertised power ratings.

As to the new receiver, are you running stereo in 2 different rooms, or are you looking for a surround sound receiver in one room?

If it's stereo, I'd try the Harman Kardon 3480 (120wpc and those are real not imaginary Onkyo watts) for around $250-300 (see pricegrabber.com).

If it's surround, the HK 635 can be had for $560 shipped from 6ave.com --- list was $1300.

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1750
the HK 635 can be had for $560 shipped from 6ave.com

Yet another low price store unavailable to Canadians. Sucks.

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1751
I wrote:

The RF-7 are a difficult load, dropping below 4 ohm at some frequency

and Rush wrote:

even an entry level receiver will be able to drive those Klipsch without any problem because they are very efficient, and dont require a lot of power to push them.

I guess we disagree on that, at face value anyway.

Dennis, does your receiver shut down when pushed hard? Or even when music is played softly?

Username: Stuwee20

Tucson, Arizona United States

Post Number: 3
Dennis, I am not sure of your speakers or Onkyo amp, if some in the know say Onkyo is overprotective then you are over driving this amp.
Electronics are very complex!
My Marantz 2270 has been pushing my Martin-Logans hard for about 2mths, ML's dip into the 2ohm range at certain FQ's not one shut-down yet??!! This Marantz does not like anything less than 4ohms, go figure!
Lucky you the Onkyo commuicated it's displeasure before it fryed your speakers!
Peace, craig

Post Number: 4
I think I will look into an amp. Klipsch forum suggest that I have a minimum of 250 Amps/channel

How do you measure the load? Ohm's? amps? Milliamps?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us