BOSE Sucks!

Username: Damncrappyplasma

Post Number: 2
Am I the only person on the planet who has not been suckered into believing that Bose make good speakers?

Personally, I think that Bose speakers SUCK big time and what is even worse than the sound and build quality of a Bose speaker is the snooty 'Bose Attitude' that all the yuppie geeks who buy Bose wear around like a badge of honor.

Bose lovers are pathetic roadkill on the marketing interstate.

B.o.s.e - Better Off With Something Else
No highs, no lows, it must be Bose.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 4344
all true, but all too redundant.

Do a search in this or any other audio forum for "Bose" and you'll see why.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 3501
film at 11.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 8818
WOW!

Flame bait!

Silver Member
Username: Praetorian

Canada

Post Number: 297
To answer you first question then: no.

To your second point: to each their own.

To your third point: they are not alone.

To your fourth: good acronym, but, like Ed already pointed out, seen it all before.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8825
I thought he was just spewing mindless rhetoric.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 3529
The Bose Mediamate computer speakers are amazing for what they are, especially for not having a subwoofer. That's all Bose knows how to make, apparently! Computer speakers!

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 301
I agree Berny, sometimes the best way to respond to mindless rhetoric is to answer it seriously...

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 302
My initial response was: "Well, duh."

Then I decided to rewrite...

Gold Member

Post Number: 8835
:-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 3530
Well, duh

Gold Member

Post Number: 8842
That about sums it all up.

Gold Member
Username: Gavincumm

New York USA

Post Number: 1218
I agree with jexx, but the klipsch promedia 2.0 are better.

GO BOSE, the PC speaker company hehehehe :-)

I wonder when we eill start seeing little bose logos over our notebook speakers (sarc)

at least klipsch still makes decent quality speakers.

Bronze Member
Username: Gamerdude

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 91
B.o.s.e - Better Off With Something Else
No highs, no lows, it must be Bose

Hehe i liked that

Bose
Better sound through paper

Username: Blose

Post Number: 1
I have to agree that BOSE= BLOSE. And how!!

I had the "companion 3" speakers they make for PC's..

Now.. a few things caught my eye as complete travesties right out of the box...

The satellites weighed NOTHING, suggesting tiny little magnets. The subwoofer can't have been more than 6" and I suspect a little less... But wait! It gets worse! The speakers connect to the sub via male-male miniplug cables like on earphones! This is fantastic because if the speaker moves a little it rotates the miniplug and you get a wonderful SHKRSHHHHHHHHH sound...

They were so bad that when I first listened to them, I thought something was wrong, and I literally took apart my PC and the system to see to it that all connections were tight...

There is NO midrange. There are literally just chunks of audio missing like someone took a knife to the music..

A set of LOGITECH Z-560's (Logitech, ok?) I had, which cost 30% less, sounded 200% better- despite the fact that they had distortion loving high excursion full range 2.5" drivers and no tweeter or horn...

I now use the Klipsch iFi hooked to my computer with a miniplug patch cable.

The iFi cost about 20% or so more than the Companion 3 and I can not put the difference to words...

Here's an attempt though:

The Bose 3-2-1 is a Salisbury steak TV dinner

the Klipsch iFi is a perfectly cooked piece of delicious steak with a fine vintage in a romantic setting...

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10787
You should meet Randy Warren.

Username: Blose

Post Number: 2
Sorry just wanted to append that last post-

I had Klipsch Promedias, which I RETURNED and switched for iFi (which is RSX 3 satellites, with a modified crossover, and a custom 8" sub).

The Klipsch Promedias (2.1, not 5.1 or ultra) were so so crapp... I have to say... Quite frankly its an insult to the companies name, having heard their $10 000+ speakers... Which make me want to cuddle up with them and ask for their hand in marriage...

Anyways, the Promedia 2.1's had many shortcomings, not least of which was 22 (maybe 24) guage "speaker cable"... perhaps the worst Ive seen in awhile- which connects to the sub with clamps- and to the speakers with miniplugs!! Can you say distortion and loss of fidelity??

Adding to the fun, the speakers are not manufactured to sufficiently precise standards, leading to slight differences from unit to unit.

The speakers sound HORRIBLY over amplified no matter how much preamplification is fed to them.

The voice coils are CLEARLY too small and cheap, making vocals sound drowned out in the equally cheap, overpowered overamped soundstage...

The Stereo image was also unacceptable for the price.

The iFi is absolutely miles ahead in terms of quality. I've got it hooked up with bare wire 16 guage (I know I know don't hit me... Im working on it)

I've spent hours trying to explain to my mom that "That bose wave radio thingy" does not sound like my Uncle's $10 000 Hi-Fi... which she has somehow gotten into her head, never having heard the Wave Radio but only having read about it!!

I've spent time in Hi-Fi stores in their "Bose Room" with what seem like dozens of little trash acoustimass speakers all over the ceiling...

A salesperson asked how impressed I was with the experience...

I said it felt like a swarm of angry bats was flying around on top of me trying to find an opening to bite me...

Bats with a throat infection :D

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 4559
Paul, you should post your results on Amazon.com and epinions.com since they're full of obvious Bose shills.

Post Number: 3
Great feedback, thanks guys. I am fully aware that my post may have seemed like mindless rhetoric, which is in a way kind of like the Bose advertising campaign. I will however audition the Bose PC speakers, but I dont expect to be dazzled.

Oh and Berny, thanks so much for your priceless contribution that is 'flame bait'. Good one! Do you by any chance have a South Park lunch box? Oh wait, isnt that your mother calling you from upstairs to let you know that supper is ready.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10793
And your Bose sucks thread is meant to do what? Enlighten everyone on this forum??? Most of the members here harbor no love for Bose including myself, and you are not the only one to to make this statement. Most threads such as yours do nothing but spark mindless flame wars, since I've been on tis forum. Hence the term "flame bait'. I apologize if I offended you, but the thread is just that...flame bait

Here is an example...nothing like yours, but read it and you'll see what I mean

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/262708.html

...I don't see why you singled me out of all the responders, am I the only one that made a "significant" contribution? But hey, if it makes you feel better about yourself, be my guest.

Bronze Member
Username: Divin11112000

Michigan

Post Number: 97
I kinda want to defend bose just so we have something new to talk about. However no matter what I try to think of to use as a "leg to stand on" continually falls out from beneath me. About the only thing I can think of is that they are a GREAT marketing company.
I do wish i had bose stock so I could take advantage of their great advertising.

Would be awesome if some real speaker company bought them out or bought out their marketing department. Maybe even spend some time in the bose marketing training class. (I'm assuming they have something like that or what else would they be researching?)

Post Number: 4
It would be tough to disagree witn you. Bose are marketing wizards indeed. I am amazed by how Bose has positioned themselves with the general public as 'the' speaker brand to own despite the terrible performance of the product. When I sold retail A/V I would actually have customers buy Bose speakers without listening to them first. I would love to pick their marketing managers brain.

My main reason for the topic was to see if anything has changed in terms of product perceptions of Bose, 10 or 15 years down the road. It clearly hasn't and people are way more informed these days then they were 10 years ago yet Bose continues to be a strong brand.

Speaking of mergers, it should be interesting now that Klipsch has aquired API.

Berny, If this is such flame bait then why are you posting to it?

Silver Member
Username: Stefanom

Silver Spring, MD United States

Post Number: 148
Heck, I can play devils advocate if you really want something to talk about.

Indeed Bose does have poor performance as compared with the vast majority of sound systems in its price class. However, they didn't get to where they are today by marketing alone. What they offer is "good enough" sound in a stylish package.

People complain about how Bose offers no specifications; yet some of the more esteemed posters here (JV for example) have stated that the only specs that are useful are dimensions and weight. Why? Because you can't tell the sound of a product by specs alone. Undoubtably if everyone thought that Bose sounded "horrible, grating, etc", they would likely not buy the product, regardless of how stylish it looks or how good their marketing is. Again, they aren't a performance product, but a good many people do find them to have a pleasing sound.

As far as marketing goes, what is Bose supposed to say? "We suck, don't buy our product." Of course not; they're in it for a profit like anyone else is (except maybe Tim). Of course Bose will compare themselves favorably with their competitors. As far as some of the commonly reiterated lines go, such as the proverb that you can't directly compare Bose with anything of value, I find that to be utter BS. My local Circuit City has them in the same sound room as a Polk RTi setup and some KEF eggs as one example. Best Buy has them on the same racks in the aisles as every other speaker product they carry, from Klipsch + Athena down to KLH.

I think that will do for now; should be interesting to see what kind of response this gets.

Bronze Member
Username: Hifisoundguy

Post Number: 54
"BOSE gets you closer to the real thing"...LIVE MUSIC!!! Enjoy!

Bronze Member
Username: Philipt95148

Post Number: 32
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/products/reviews/268102.html

enjoy!

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1886
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/products/reviews/268102.html

Ouch! What a review!

Actually, it's not a review. Some Bose lacky owned the 301 and 901 and purchased the Acoustimass for the bedroom due to my familiarity with BOSE even though it's a little more expensive than some other systems in the same capability range. Then he qualifies how they sound:

it was very apparent that the speakers have their limitations

But the highs weren't as high as you would like them to be

The midrange was mostly not there, and the lack of a true subwoofer really hurt the whole system

And so, the obvious conclusion to such performance is... They delivered a great performance for my spouse and friends. For those that don't demand audiophile speakers these definitely fit the bill.

WTF!

Post Number: 5
Thanks Philip!

That is one of the oddest reviews I have ever read.

He basically admits that the sound is poor yet he goes on to totally contradict himself by saying that 'they delivered a great performance'.

Is it just me or did that so called 'review', posted just yesterday, pop up a little too coincidently with the increased activity of this anti-Bose thread?

A free Bose system will make man write some stange stuff.

Gold Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 1254
Peter it reminds me of a great line from Caddyshack:
"What an ugly hat, I bet you get a bowl of soup with this.... oh Judge it looks good on you though"

Post Number: 7
I am sure Judge Smails would have had a pair of Bose speakers in his office.

Bronze Member
Username: Hifisoundguy

Post Number: 55
ANOTHER BOSE BASHER REVIEWER!!!

Gold Member

Post Number: 4115
ya think!?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1256
No I'm sure Judge Smails loved his Bose "You.. You'll get nothing and like it"

Hay Damian, what's the story with your user name?

Post Number: 9
Thats it! 'You'll get nothing and like it' should be the new Bose tagline.

Oh, the username, I had a major problem with a brand new plasma that was installed in my office and I was feeling particularity bitter about it when the username was created.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1258
Alright what was it. I'm about to go for a plasma. any info would be great

I don't think anybody minds me stealing this thread.

Silver Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 841
If you get a plasma be sure to get an extended warranty. We got a 42"LG, the heatsinks weren't large enough apparantly and lines developed vertically on the panel. This PDP was almost 2 yrs old and luckilly we had purchased a warranty that gave us 5 yrs in total. The set was fixed with an upgraded panel, ran for a half hour and then - a blank screen. Next, the set was replaced with a brand new one. Oh, and we had to buy another extended warranty. I wouldn't leave home without one.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Well I went against better judgement and bought a Samsung HPN4239 (I know, I know, What was I thinking?!) based purely on price because the screen was going to see only light use.

Within a couple months there was intermittent problems with the power supply and and odd buzzing sound. Fast forward a year and the dislplay is back in the shop getting another new power supply and I have a blank wall to look at.

I did however just buy an LG for the home theater and I have been pleased. My reasons for going with plasma was a better bang for the buck in terms of the price/size ratio when compared to LCD and I feel that plasma displays blacks better than LCD although that statement in itself could open up some serious debate threads.

Gold Member
Username: Touche6784

USA

Post Number: 1123
whats wrong with samsung?

Silver Member
Username: Davidpa

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 213
http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/vModelList?storeId=15001&cat alogId=13401&catGroupId=24973&cacheProgram=11002&cachePartner=700000000000000570 2

Check these out, I just got the 58", compared it with the 63" fujitsu, and stayed with this. If you have a video only around, you can get for about 20 percent less. Worth looking into anyway.

Silver Member

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 214
The 600U model, also, colors are incredible, and lifelike. I havent had any problems as of yet, and hope I dont (I never purchase the extended warranty) Burn in doesnt seem to be as much of an issue as Ive read about in the past, but am still being cautious of it, not letting a channel stay on for more than a couple hours at a time. Panasonic has came out with a pretty good product here.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
My personal experience with Samsung has been dissapointing in terms of product quality and service.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1264
Dude for $5500 you better not have any problems. I'm looking for 42" and waiting for the prices to keep dropping so it can get around $1200.

Silver Member

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 221
They have (I believe) a 42" in the same model. And I would think around 2600.00, which would mean you could get it for about 2,000.00. And I just looked, they do have the 42 inch model. Still worth taking a look at.
And I agree, any problems and I'll be a bit upset!

Silver Member

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 222
Almost forgot. I got it for 4200.00, thats the reason I asked, or suggested looking into a "video only" store for the best deal.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4132
I wanna go to David's place!

Silver Member

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 224
Im gettin there Nuck! All the pieces in place, now just touch up the loose ends! If your ever in the Ptld area, stop on by!

Silver Member

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 225
Also, nice to see an (the brand name we do not speak of) thread take a turn for the better.

maybe

Gold Member

Post Number: 4145
With a thread title like that, it could only get better.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us