Rega planar 3 VERY slow

Username: Samc

Post Number: 1
Help! Just bought a second hand rega planar 3(was TOLD it was in full working order, cannot contact seller at the moment, typical) and it is running unlistneably slow, seemingly because the motor drive pulley seems to be too high up, so the glass platter is putting pressure on it, if that makes sense?! The motor seems to be affixed properly(one of those old ones attached with rubber bands, i have found that this is correct for these older planar 3s although looks a bit odd! Could the turntable spindle be sitting too low? Is this because it needs oil, would this cause it to sit too low? Can anyone help please, i'm lost!

Username: Stefanl

Post Number: 1
The first thing to do with a too slow Planar 3 is to aquire a new belt.They need to be replaced every 3 years according to Rega.If you think the motor pulley is too high,loosen the two allen screws that hold the rubber suspension up,you see them on either side of the motor pulley on the plinth,this is after removing the Glass Platter and Belt of course.Then push the top of the Pulley down to where it's level or just below the Plinth and holding it down re-tighten the screws on the Plinth.This should realign everything back to it's default position.The top of the Pulley Below the Platter and angled slightly away when idle.There are other things to do but do this first.

Bronze Member
Username: Uncle_ants

NottinghamEngland

Post Number: 11
Something to check is that the pulley is still properly attached to the motor shaft. I have known them to come loose with the result that they slip. Blob of superglue will fix if this is the case,

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 3327
Hey Uncle! Long time no see!

Bronze Member

NottinghamEngland

Post Number: 12
been busy :-) but right now I'm in full world cup avoidance mode

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 3336
viva Italia...whatever.

Bronze Member
Username: Plato

Woodbury, NJ

Post Number: 46
Forza Italia!

Silver Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 661
Kings of the fallover! :-)

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1512
Back to the initial subject, it sounds to me like the bearing is missing. It's not an oil issue since the platter should ride at a particular height irrespective of quantity of oil. If the bearing is missing (the bearing is a small ball bearing sitting at the bottom of the tube that holds the sub-platter) you can order one from Rega. when playing properly, the belt should lie in the middle of the sub-platter.

Do NOT play the deck without the bearing in place.

Regards,
Frank.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1513
Back to the initial subject, it sounds to me like the bearing is missing. It's not an oil issue since the platter should ride at a particular height irrespective of quantity of oil. If the bearing is missing (the bearing is a small ball bearing sitting at the bottom of the tube that holds the sub-platter) you can order one from Rega. When the bearing is in place, the belt rides in the middle of the sub-platter.

Do NOT play the deck without the bearing in place.

Regards,
Frank.

Gold Member
Username: John_a

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4400
Good suggestion, Frank.

Bronze Member

NottinghamEngland

Post Number: 13
Yup excellent point

Username: Samc

Post Number: 2
Thanks for all the suggestions, got it working, after much faffing with adjusting the motor pulley-it seemed to be screwed in really tight and seems to be ok now..i'll probably get someone to have a look at it who knows what they are doing though(unlike me!) thanks again, sam
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us