Dynaudio 110 vs 140?

Bronze Member
Username: Nsanghani

Chicago, IL USA

Post Number: 25
I currently have the Dynaudio 110 and 140 at home for audition. Here are my first thoughts

1. Dynaudio Focus 110: I found them overall as good as B&W 705. Better bass reproduction, equally good high speakers, 95% as good midrange
2. Dynaudio Focus 140: A bit more expensive. Plays not much different in my room. Though overall I found 110 more natural than 140.

I am not aware how long each of these speakers have been played. I do not want to make a decision without the knowledge of knowing if the speakers have been broken-in.

I am leaning towards Dynaudio focus 110. Would really like to hear your comments about which speakers to consider.

Username: Byam

Post Number: 9
As you have stated, you really need to know how many hours are on the speakers. I have the 140's and am very glad I bought them over the 110's. They need a long break in period. What is your room size? What electronics are you using? These are important things to consider. Do not be in a hurry. Take your time so that when you finally make the decision what to buy you will be happy with your system. Regrets are too expensive.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1487
Most importantly, what are you trying to drive them with, amp-wise? They take no prisoners.

Regards,
Frank.

Bronze Member

Chicago, IL USA

Post Number: 26
I am driving these speakers with NAD C372 Integrated Amp ( 2 x 150W Minimum Continuous Power into 4/8 ohms. 220W, 340W, 460W IHF Dynamic Power into 8, 4 and 2 ohms, respectively)

My room layout is as shown in the picture attached. It is not a closed room and that's what made me think about the 140s to 110s.

Bill would you mind sharing any specific reason why you are glad to buy 140s over 110s? If the 140s will provide as good surround sound as 110s I would probably go with 140s as they fill the room better.
Upload

Post Number: 10
NS,
Before I began the search to repace the Paradigm Studio 40 v.3's in my main system I already had a pair of Dynaudio Audience 42's in my bedroom system. Therefore I was favorably biased toward Dynaudio. I listened to the Contour 1.4, but they were beyond my price point. When the Focus line came out I read about them on Dynaudio's website, audiophile magazines, and discussions on Audiogon. With my room set up I needed to stay with monitors. So it was either the 110 or 140's. I did not audition them in my home. I went to a dealer that was driving them with a Krell KAV400xi. The 140's sounded fuller, richer and generally more pleasing to my ears. My room is 18x12x8. I also called the distributor in Bensenville, Illinois to get his opinion of either the 110 or 140 for my room size. Taking into consideration all I read, talking to the distributor and dealer, and then listening to them I went with the 140's. I also kind of had a gut feeling that when the time comes to upgrade down the road the 140's would have a better resale value. I am glad I bought the 140's. Hope this helps.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1491
NS

The 372 is more than powerful enough to drive the speakers. My main concern now would be the quality of the signal from the CD player. If it's a limited player, you'll get limited results from the speakers. The C542 would be a minimum in my view. And, needless to say, you need appropriate cabling to finish the job. No point in having great kit and then tying it together with a piece of string!

Here's a few tips to optimise the sound from both sets of speakers. I have been dealing in Dynaudio speakers for over 10 years so I know a thing or two about setting them up.

1. They need space behind them. At least 2 feet.

2. Do not toe them in to start with. Let them shoot straight down the room. If you get a vague image, then just toe in 1 degree at a time and the soundstage'll snap into focus. You'll barely notice they're toed-in. This gives an expansive sound. One caveat - the side wall closest to the left speaker could impinge on the sound, so you could be reduced to toeing in a bit more but never more than 10 degrees. If you toe in much, Dynaudios pinch the soundstage into the middle. Very focussed, but not much in the way of bass resolution or fluidity (becomes more leaden). By having them firing square to the room, you'll open up the soundstage at the expense of some focus.

3. Looking at your diagram, they seem to be about 7 feet apart. If you can, bring them within 6 feet of each other. Also bring them so their front baffles are in front of whatever's between them. This has the added benefit of putting the left speaker in front of the side wall. You may not be able to live with this arrangement but it's worth trying to see if the results make as much difference as I suspect it will.

4. What stands are they on? If the Dynaudio stands, are you using the upward facing spikes on the stands or are you using blu-tac? I find that blu-tac gives me far better results. The speaker seems to have better grip and control of the lower registers. With upward facing spikes (on the stand), I find that they become a little disembodied.

5. Ensure that the speakers are absolutely level and that the stands do not rock at all. I use a spirit level to set up speakers - even during demos. Any movement in the stand is a source of vibration. Dynaudios put a lot of energy into the stand so get this right and it will pay off in cleaner sound.

Once you've paid attention to all the above, you should be able to discern significant differences in the speakers. Incidentally, for best results, the 110s and 140s will probably want to live in slightly different positions (sorry).

Regards,
Frank.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Just a follow up from Frank's post regarding stands. I bought Dynaudio Stand 4's. They are solid and heavy. They help bring out the sound of the 140's. I am using blu-tac. Apart from the sound benefit they give the added sense of security in the event the speaker gets bumped slightly. I use a NAD c542 cd player with my smaller system using the Audience 42's. With my system using the 140's I have a Musical Fidelity a3.2 cd player.

Bronze Member

Chicago, IL USA

Post Number: 27
Thanks Bill that was definitely useful. Coincidently my work is just a minute away from Dynaudio's Bensenville distribution location. I do plan to talk to them on Wednesday. I think 140s might be the right size for my room, given that it is an open layout.

Cheers
Neeraj

Bronze Member

Chicago, IL USA

Post Number: 28
Frank my dealer suggested that Paradigm stands (23" height) would work well with the speakers. I agree with you that the challenge I have is that there is a wall by left speaker and open space by the right speaker.

I have attached an updated pic of my room with dimensions. I suppose in point 2 above you meant that the speakers should be facing straight rather than converging at an angle? and in point 2 you meant that the speakers should be less than 7 ft apart?

Any thoughts in addition to what you have shared is appreciated.

Any suggestions based on your experience regarding which speakers - 110s or 140s are suitable for my room?

Thanks
Neeraj
Upload

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Neeraj,
I am not trying to get you to spend money needlessly. However I would like to put in another plug for the Dynaudio Stand 4's. My 140's replaced a pair of Paradigm. I used the 23" Premiere stands (as you know Paradigm doesn't make their own stands, but sells the Premiere which are set up for Paradigm). I sold them with the Paradigm's. In my opinion the Dynaudio Stand 4's are a night and day difference. They are considerably heavier, more solid, and hold more damping material. I think they are more attractive as well. They aren't cheap- I think they retail for about $400- but they are certainly worth it to me.
Just a thought.

Bronze Member

Chicago, IL USA

Post Number: 29
Bill,
I appreciate you sharing that thought. I would rather hear this than not. The dealer mentioned that he would fill the paradigm stands with sand to improve the performance.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1501
NS,

Yes that's what I meant. Also, I notice that the rack is a HiFi rack? If so, you will reap rewards by placing it away from in between the speakers (that 4ft speace looks very enticing). I know it sounds strange, but I have found systems always sound better when the kit is not between the speakers. (Trust me, just try it if you can!)

If the relative position of the speakers is accurate, then the left speaker is almost proud of the side wall and I think that you should get good results. I wouldn't go less than 5.5' apart.

Actually your room is quite enclosed. I know there are open ways into the room, but the volume of space is quite well enclosed. I shouldn't let that worry you too much. You will be aware of te opening but it won't detract significantly in my view.

As to Bill's point about the Stand4s, they are expensive, and their look is down to taste obviously. The Dynaudios need a medium mass stand at the minimum. The point you made of the dealer promising to fill the Paradigms is not good news. If they're empty currently, they'll probably be too light and will vibrate madly under the speaker, not allowing the speaker to work correctly. You don't have to have the Dynaudio stands, but you do need medium to heavy stands (not incredibly heavy). And the kicker - 140s like a slightly heavier better damped stand than 110s, of course!

Regards,
Frank.

Bronze Member

Chicago, IL USA

Post Number: 30
Frank,
That was great insight. Actually the Premiere stands that the dealer suggested are quite heavy. I have not seen the Dynaudio stands yet.

The decision that still needs to be finalized is weather to go for 140s or 110s considering the quality and dynamics of my room (barring the financial part)

Neeraj

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1505
NS

I can't help you there - you need to hear the difference and then decide for yourself if it's enough to warrant the extra...

Regards,
Frank.

Bronze Member

Chicago, IL USA

Post Number: 31
Got the 140s with the Dynaudio Stand4s. Looking forward to break-in the speakers. I did move the music rack to the corner location, next to the Sofa. Looks better.

Neeraj

Bronze Member

Chicago, IL USA

Post Number: 32
So now I have
NAD C372 AMP
Dynaudio 140 speakers
Standard CD player - Any suggestions for a CD player with this audio system?

Thanks
Neeraj

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 3320
Neeraj, the forum has been absolutelu inundated with glowing, flowing reviews of the Rega Apollo.
Read a few of those.

Bronze Member

Chicago, IL USA

Post Number: 33
Nuck thanks for directing me to the forum where some of you have a great discussion on CD players. I am a novice and building my first audiophile system. I still have to better understand interconnects, cables etc. Currently with my setup I use a standard cables to connect AMP and Speakers (Proflex E-116676 14 AWG 75C Type CL3). I don't know if these are good enough or should I go for better ones.

Neeraj

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1510
Neeraj

As Nuck says, try out the Rega Apollo. It's very good value here but may not be where you are. The absolute minimum you should be looking at would be NAD's C542 which is a fine machine, if not as good as the Apollo by some margin. The better machine you get, the better the results, especially with those 140s which just soak up resolution.

The cables I use with NAD most successfully are made by Chord Co. I spent a day down at the factory being taught how to make up cables last week. I came away with sore unfeeling fingers and a serious respect for the professionalism and dedication involved in the making of cables!

That said, they're British so there's bound to be better value products in your neck of the woods I'd have thought.

Regards,
Frank.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3444
Analysis Plus and Tara Labs both make good cables that are worth a look. I'm enjoying considerable success with the former and have auditioned the Apollo with them and found that they worked well together.

Bronze Member

Chicago, IL USA

Post Number: 35
I filled the Stand 4's with play sand and now the bass seems to be damp !! My understanding was that sand would improve the bass.

I would appreciate any thoughts on why this would happen and any advice what I should do to rectify it (other than remove the sand).

Thanks
Neeraj
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us