Marantz CD5001..How different is this..?

Username: Sunilkm

BangaloreIndia

Post Number: 1
Hello All,

I have read many posts in this forum and came to know CD players are much better in playing back audio CDs than DVD players.

I was comparing the technical specs of Marantz CD player(CD5001) with the audio section of the DVD players(Marantz DV-4600 and DV-6600)
Audio DAC : The D/A sampling freqency is 192Khz with 24bit accuracy in both Marantz CD5001 and the Marantz DVD players. So here is the question..
Why should I expect a better audio playback quality from Marantz CD5001 than Marantz DVD players ( or any DVD player with 192Khz/24bit DAC chip)?

Thanks,
Sunil

Username: Develara

Post Number: 8
i have heard marantz 5001 and its really a good player... and as far as the difference between a cd and dvd player is the cd is far too good for playing Cds and i dont know why...lol
dev.

Gold Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 1003
Sunil:

While the sampling frequency may be the same, that does not mean the DACs are of equal quality. But then, perhaps they are--in this case, I don't know. Did you listen to both units playing a CD in the same system? Without that, you can't say one or the other is better, nor can you say they are the same.

To answer your question requires the recognition of a number of variables. Generally speaking, if the CD player and the DVD player are from the same manufacturer, and they cost essentially the same, it is generally true that the CD player will be superior in CD playback because greater effort was put into the audio playback. A couple of years ago, I went in to audition a bunch of Marantz components. I got to listen to two CD players, one a single CD player and the other was a changer. The difference in price was only $10, but the $10 cheaper single disk player was much better than the changer. When I asked why, I was told that the money in the changer went into the changer mechanism. Both players spec'ed the same, but the single player was clearly better sounding. Well, the same thing is often true with DVD players. They have DVD circuitry which adds costs (the drive mechanism is almost always identical), so to meet a price point (and believe me, everything is keyed to making a predetermined price point), something else must be sacrificed. This is often done using much cheaper DACs for the audio section, even though they may have similar specs with the better ones. Additionally, the engineering time will be spent on the video playback as most people have been taught to use their receiver's DACs for the audio portion of DVD playback. So, for the mass market makers, they wonder why anyone might care that much about CD playback with a DVD player--it is, after all, merely a side benefit of having all that circuitry in there, not its primary purpose. In their view, if you really want good CD sound, just buy their CD player (they would rather sell you two players than just one).
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us