Super T-Amp or AMP100 for outdoor OMD200 speakers?

Username: Logon666

Post Number: 1
Hi guys - new to this board. Hoping someone could give me a bit of advice..

I have recently purchased a pair of OMD200 speakers: http://outdoorspeakerdepot.com/omheduhipo.html

Trying to decide if the Super T-amp will drive these to a sufficient level, or if I should step down in quality and up the wattage with the AMP100. My budget is no more than $150 delivered.

So what is a "significant level" you ask?
My 45'x20' backyard is fenced in, but I have neighbors in every direction, and I don't expect to ever CRANK IT UP. Very little to no street or ambient noise, and I just want to be able to enjoy decent quality sound at conversational levels. The speakers are 60 feet from where the amp will be inside the house. They are wired with 16 gauge outdoor wire in a PVC conduit.

Just installed a hot tub - would be nice to hear the stereo when it's on... not sure how reasonable this is...

So I guess my question is... what amp should buy for $150 or less to drive these speakers in my setup? Will the Super T-amp do the job?

Thanks!

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8760

No, not in the situation stated.

Username: Logon666

Post Number: 2
Thanks, Jan. Any advice on an alternative amp?

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8764

The T amp is battery powered. Higher current rechargeables give good sound also. If you wish to use this amp, set it up to take outside and connect to a pair of efficient speakers. A small case with the T amp, a rechargeable Sealed Lead Acid battery pack and a portable CD player works well as a portable system. The problem is the low wattage of the T amp needs very efficient speakers, particularly in your situation. With no walls to give additional boost (room gain) to the speakers you will more than likely run the amp into distortion before you get sufficient gain from the amplifier/speaker combo unless the speakers are very efficient (93db+) and you are very close to the speakers. A four Ohm speaker will eek a bit more power out of the amplifier, but hardly enough to actually notice. Efficient speakers are the key to getting the T amp to work in any situation.

If quality is not the main effort here (which it probably shouldn't be in this situation), almost any 50 watt or greater amp should do. Depending on how many speakers you are going to drive at one time off this amp and how you intend to distribute the power, you could easily go with the Amp 100 or something pre owned off Audiogon.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us