How to fix a dead speaker?

Bronze Member
Username: Srkstan

Kazakhstan

Post Number: 49
Somebody is offering me a pair of high quality speakers, but one works and the other does not. I have a use for the one (as the rear in a 6.1 setup), but I am wondering if the other one is fixable. He said that it shorted out when connected to the amp. Apparently, the tweeter still produces sound, but the woofer does not. Is it possible that the woofer driver is burned out? It doesn't appear that there is anything wrong with the woofer cone. If it is fixable, I will definitely buy them, which is why I am asking. I may buy them anyways since I need a rear speaker for 6.1.

Silver Member
Username: Kegger

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 224
sean more than likely you have one of two things
going on and either is fixable.

you have have a bad woofer or a bad part in the
crossover.

the way to find out would be switch the woofers
between the 2 and if the woofer now works in the
other speaker you can tell if its a bad driver
or crossover.

Bronze Member
Username: Robertinchico

Post Number: 53
If a driver has failed, it can be replaced; but most better manufacturers match their drivers to a very close reference tolerance and so you'd have get a replacement driver sourced from the original manufacturer or you could end up with a jekyll and hide speaker pair. Some drivers are easier to remove from cabinets than others. Troubleshooting a crossover can involve more than just driver swapping since the X-over could have fried components if enough distorted overload current was sent through it to blow a driver.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us