Looking for cheap receiver to use as pre-amp for next 1-2 years.

Username: Jthomp27

Post Number: 5
I currently have CDM 1NT's and am about to purchase a Rotel 1075 AMP to drive them. This will leave me somewhat low on funds, so I was wondering if any of you have a recommendation on a relatively cheap receiver/pre-amp that I can use for the next year or so until I buy a higher end pre-amp with hi-res (HDMI/DVI) digital audio/video switching.

My needs:
multichannel inputs and outputs
Dolby Pro-Logic II (not IIx necessarily)
bass management on the multichannel inputs.
A good match for my B&W's.

Thanks!

JT

Bronze Member
Username: Kendrid

Post Number: 26
What is your budget?

I'd highly recommend going with used equipment. You can get a used Rotel 1066 for around $900 at Audigon. It would hold it's resale value quite well for the next year or two.

I've personally never purchase a new amplifier. I've owned quite a few used Rotel amps (980, 990, 985MKII) and when I sold each one of them I lost $50 at most. You could save some cash if you went that route.

Username: Jthomp27

Post Number: 6
I was actually looking to stay in the $300-$600 range. I know, it isn't much to work with, but I am hoping Rotel will come out with a preamp with HDMI switching in the next year or so and go with that, and pass this receiver on to my brother in law.

Silver Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 107
A Marantz SR6300 would be nice if you can find one. It has bass management on the 6.1 channel input, PL2, DTS-ES, DD-EX, 6.1 pre-outs, and nice detailed musical sound.

Silver Member
Username: Gdawg

Canada

Post Number: 102
You could save some money and go with a refurb VR-6070 from ecost.com, orignal retail:599$. Has 9 channel pre outs THX and a 24 bit procossor for each channel. Has an awsome price range, and it always feels good to save money. Avail for $199.

Silver Member
Username: Kegger

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 222
i am right now using an hk 525 for a prepro until
i find the right one for the right price.

you can find some of those pretty inexpensive and
it seems to do everything quite nicely.

more than likely the lower models of the hk line
would do the same thing just have less amp power.

Bronze Member
Username: Stone

West CoastUSA

Post Number: 34
I scored a two month old HK AVR230 for 225.00 shipped. It is going to be a pre-amp as soon as I find a multi channel amp I like. I am not saying you are going to get a deal like that but an AVR230 is about 380.00 brand new. Nice pre-amp with all the bells a whistles.
This is a hobby where people are obsessed with upgrading components constantly. Recievers DO NOT hold there value like amps, so yes the used market is a great place to look.

Jan Vigne
Unregistered guest
I vote for the HK AVR230. It's a nice little combination of features and reliable HK sound that can go into a bedroom system or be given to a friend or relative when you have upgraded. Easy to find a decent deal on this product. If you want to take the chance everyone seems to think NAD is right now, the refurbished T742 is equally as nice as the HK but much simpler in features and may not do enough for your situation. Check it on the NAD web site to decide.

Silver Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 109
There's no point getting a NAD. Why NADs are better than others is mainly because they have better power amplifiers. John here is looking for a preamp, so the best part of NAD is going to wasted and also he'll get a vary limited and perhaps a hissing pre-/decoder section.

The AVR230 will be good, but I think it doesn't have bass management for the 7.1-input. Can somebody confirm this?

Silver Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 225
it would have it if you went through one of the
sound fields but i'm not sure if you went direct.

and i also believe the avr230 would be a good choice for the budget prepro.

Bronze Member
Username: Stone

West CoastUSA

Post Number: 35
I haven't found bass management from playing with the remote. But then I probably should break out the manual one of these days and look for it. What do you mean by: if you went through one of the sound fields?

Silver Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 227
instead of running direct bypass, then you should
be able to go into your speaker setup where you
choose large or small speakers and sub crossover.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us