T/DAC better than cdp?

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 3184
The benefits of an outboard DAC are multiple.

The best stereo players out there are listing at big bucks.

Used DAC's are at a good price right now.

It looks like 6:5 and pick em', I like the outboards better than cdp.

Opinions?

Bronze Member
Username: Dan_the_man

London, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 85
Now i don't really know much about the subject, but isn't there significant signal loss by converting from digital to analog?

I suppose this doesn't matter as much if you are using a suitable preamplifier. Am I correct in assuming this Nuck?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3191
Hi Dan.
The digital to analog conversion has to happen somewhere. cd players do this internally, some better than others.
The outboards use a transport(motor gears and wheels), the Converter well, converts to analog for amplification.
Seperates help modding, or localizing the anomolies.
And of course, cost more.

Silver Member
Username: Ravbains

MelbourneAustralia

Post Number: 190
Hi Nuck,

there are pluses and minuses to separating the transport and the DAC.

One potential minus, is that the digital interface between the transport and DAC must be handled carefully, so as not to run into or exacerbate jitter problems. Lots of different solutions available here e.g. exchanging clock info between the two units, or alternatively to use extensive buffering and precision re-clocking in the DAC. There are probably many other aspects that I am just too much of an ingenue to realise.

One major plus of the 2 box trans-dac approach is that at least the DAC stage has its own dedicated PSU, and is not subject to an influences from the transport/servo power needs. Hopefully if you have a dedicated DAC, the manufacturer puts some decent engineering into the analogue stages: either high end op-amps (AD825 etc), or even takes the discrete component path.

These are just my thoughts and they are by NO means authoritative.

Naim also make 2 box players, but they are not trans-dac units. One box is the CD player itself, and the other box houses all the regulated power supplies for the various stages in the CDP.

As usual, the quality of the implementation is probably a lot more important than the approach chosen eg 1 box integrated, 2 box trans/dac, or 2 box player/psu.

In any case, I expect good things from your Classe' combination.

cheers
Rav

Gold Member

Post Number: 3421
Thanks, Rav, I hope so.
I will likely have a chance to A/B the Rotel with the transport, as the shophas no desire to trade on a trade.
When I get to try, I will post.

Username: Third_eye

Post Number: 3
Nuck,

from a fellow canuck, can I ask you to pls. take a look at my question on this thread

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/259229.html

My apologies, folks, for posting this here.

thanks

3-I
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us