HDMI?

Unregistered guest
I've read that HDMI is likely to be the interface many HDTV units are likely to be favoring in the near future.

Any reason to suspect that AVR's are going to be supporting this interface as an input into the receiver?

I kind of on the cusp of purchasing a HDTV, DVD player, and receiver but have no need to jump on any purchases.

If it looks like there is going to be a strong coupling with HDMI, I might consider waiting a while.

Silver Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 102
There is going to be. HDMI will replace about everything, scart, DVI, VGA, component, S/PDIF and possibly firewire. Every audio and video signal will go in one cable.

The few AVRs that have HDMI switcing for now are the Onkyo TX-NR1000 ( http://www.avland.co.uk/onkyo/txnr1000/index.htm ) and the yet unreleased Panasonic SA-XR70 digital amp ( http://www.panasonic.com/consumer_electronics/pressroom/cont2.asp?Filter=12&cont _id=562 ). Others will follow them soon.

Anonymous

I can't agree more. HDMI switching should have been there a while ago!
If you're in the HDTV stuff, you are already missing HDMI switching.
You have at least a DVD player and an HD receiver that output HDMI or DVI. (samsung DVD-HD931 or vinc D3 and the new HD Tivo for example). You'll likely have only one HDMI input on your monitors.
What do you do ? manually switch cables ?!
Some engineer at at Yamaha (Z1) and ARCAM (av300) should be fired...
I'm still waiting for those guys, and others, to wake up...

Gold Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 1081
DVI switches are available now. HDMI will surely be, soon, if they are not already.

Has anyone else noticed the inconvenience of digital telephone lines? You cannot connect a fax or modem, or install you own answering machine. The "switch to digital" in satellite broadcasting has been mostly a means to restrict reception, by encryption, and get people to pay for what used to be free.

We should always try to understand the cons, as well as the pros. Often, only the pros get any publicity. Until it is too late.

Silver Member

Post Number: 149
I can agree with that. Most new things bring inconveniences with them, and yes they make people buy new stuff wich they otherwise wouldn't have needed.

HDMI on the other hand seems to be a clear step up from the old mess of different cables. You will have digital multichannel audio and HD video in just one cable and with better quality than before. Also if the HDMI specs are followed we should have compatible hardware wich is not the case with, lets say firewire/ilink. I think that the main benefit of HDMI is not quality, but ease of use for also ordinary people and not just HT enthusiasts.

Gold Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 1084
Thanks, landroval. I agree. I also understand the video benefits are highest with a digital path all the way to creation of the image, as with DLP. I just worry about the law of unintended consequences. Especially by the end user. That's us!

Anonymous

John A, I know that dvi switches exists but they are really expensive... and I don't need another piece of equipment with yet another remote for simply doing what a receiver should be doing.

What would be the new up coming receiver with this capability ? any news from yamaha about this feature? any other ? when!?!

Silver Member

Post Number: 185
This will do DVI:
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/42307.html

Silver Member
Username: Gman

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 542
Other than the Onkyo TX-NR1000 and its more expensive Integra brethren, I don't think there are any other AV receivers with HDMI yet. I am confident there will be quite a few within a year or two.

If the top of the line Yamaha Z9 had HDMI (and didn't have some problems with their YPAO parametric automatic acoustic equalizer--read Sound and Vision review), it might well be the ideal receiver currently.

Hopefully the Pioneer Elite line will add HDMI in next years models--along with other companies. It would be nice if they added the Faroudja DCDi chipset too (which the Yammie Z9 has). That allows you to get much better video performance from every video signal going through the receiver. Of course, there are dvd players with that chipset, but that doesn't effect tv signals or video from other sources other than dvd's.

To me the ideal receiver would have (besides an excellent power supply and an automatic acoustic set-up device--like the Pioneer Elite MCCAC), 2-way firewire (i-link), HDMI, Faroudja DCDi (or comparable chipset), complete switching of composite and S-video to component video which could hook into the HDMI monitor input, excellent all channel bass management, and USB 2.0 input/outputs. I am sure there can be other features, but this would be a great start.

The main thing I love on the Pioneer 49TXi is the two-way firewire (besides the auto MCAAC). Hooking up a Pioneer Elite (or other brand) dvd player with firewire (such as the PE 59AVi) allows the receiver to get the DVD-A signals in digital, hence it can perform the bass management processing in the digital domain, along with other digital DSP functions. Supposedly SACD is working on that too, but Sony undoubtedly worried about lack of encryption in most firewire.

But so far there are compromises in every receiver--and probably there will be in the forseeable future. I just hope the compromises are minimal (particularly on the flagship models). Eventually the flagship features work their way down the product line.

So with more HDTV monitors coming out with HDMI and even some with 2-way firewire (the recording companies hate unencrypted high bandwidth firewire) and with universal DVD players coming out with HDMI and some with 2-way firewire (currently the PE 59AVi has both)--the future for high quality hardware looks good. The main drawback will be the record/software providers dragging their feet because of encryption.

And of course the main drawback in all recorded music (whether stereo or surround) is a well-engineered recording that is made to the limits of the format codecs.

The main problem has always been the recording--rarely the format.

Silver Member
Username: Gman

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 543
One more thing, why do most of the expensive AV preamps seem to lag on these latest features? You'd think at those prices they would be leading the way.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us