Classe DAC&Transport

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 3167
Heres a link to product info.
The bitrates seem a bit low, but the DAC is hdcd capable.
Any thoughts on the technical merit of this pair?

Highly reviewed and well received DAC and Transport combination from venerable Canadian manufacturer Classé Audio. Our set is in black, comes will all boxes, remote and a Harmonic Technologies digital cable. In excellent shape.

The CDT-1 transport has AES/EBU, SPDIF and ST outputs, and has a remote to control all the usual functions. It also has a standby mode to keep the unit warm when not being used. The transport mechanism is a Philips CDM12.4 with L1210 Loader.

The DAC-1 features five digital inputs: 2 coax, 1 balanced AES/EBU, TOSLINK, and ST. UltraAnalog 20-bit DAC's operate in balanced configuration, and provide 8x oversampling for 32/44.1/48kHz. HDCD decoding is standard

Silver Member
Username: Daniel_canada

Canada

Post Number: 135
What link Nuck?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3173
Sorry, Dan. The last 3 paragraphs are the posting itself.

Silver Member
Username: Daniel_canada

Canada

Post Number: 136
Ah ok. No Classé dealer here in town.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3178
Target hifi deals Classe.

Silver Member
Username: Ravbains

MelbourneAustralia

Post Number: 141
Hi Nuck,

the bit rate is not low? (n'est pas?)

The 8x oversampling is on the input data word clock of 32/44.1/48kHz. So on CD after the digital filter has done its job on a 44.1Khz encoded CD, an interpolated sample rate of 352.8Khz will hit the actual DAC chip. Anyhows that's fine, and is only a paper specification anyhows, may not have any bearing on the end result in any case. Also it is not stated what bit-depth the digital filter interpolates the data to.

Also since the digital filter decodes HDCD, that gives you access to some slightly improved digital media also. But here in Aus, there are not many HDCD on the shelves. But in Hong Kong for example virtually all standard CD releases are in HDCD format, since HDCDs will play on a regular CD player. I did listen to a Burmeister demo HDCD on a Arcam FMJ CD23, that a friend kindly lent me to try at home. I can confirm that the red HDCD LED on the front panel lit up, and also that the Pink Floyd live version of The Wall sounded very nice and smooth on the Arcam/FMJ unit.

I am sure the Classe transport/DAC is a good unit, I say this just based on their reputation, I don't have any first hand experience, but would be highly curious in your shoes. Whenever I have seen Classe equipment, it certainly looks well built, hence should have good longevity.

Take a good long listen, you could be pleasantly surprised.

You Canadians have some great hifi companies up there, so I myself would be more than willing to give Classe equipment the time of day.

(Lot's of great brands from Canada esp in the "high-end" market: Verity, Magnum-Dynalab, Simaudio/Moon, Classe, Oracle...... I have been reading about these brands since I was a kid...)

cheers
Rav

Silver Member

MelbourneAustralia

Post Number: 142
Nuck,

one more point from me.

In your quest for an improved system, I would be more than happy to see you "fly the flag" for Canada. You may have picked this up from my subtle hints :-)

A few weeks ago I heard something funny/tragic on the radio, so I will share it here.

An Australian comedian went to Canada for a comedy festival or some form of gig I think.

Whilst in Canada, he stopped folks on the street and asked them what does the word Canada mean? Most folks did not know, until he met a genial Grizzly Adams type character, who looked like he had been living in a cave up in the mountains.

Aussie: What does Canada mean?

Grizzly Adams: Erm, it is the Huron-Iroquai (sp?) word for village.

Aussie: Wow! That's really nice!!! Thanks.

Grizzly Adams: Yeah, well it wasn't very nice for the Huron-Iroquai.......

-cheers
Rav

Gold Member

Post Number: 3275
Thanks for the reply, Rav.
I have not been ignoring it, just trying to put my thoughts in order.

Since I do not have a vinyl cart, the Classe pkg seems a bit of overkill.
In effect, I would have a very good cdp which I could play with and run cds upon.

However, if I guide you to alternativeaudio.com once again, you should see the complete Classe pkg that they have used, err, pre-loved.
All in pieces with the amp nd pre looking mighty nice. Alas, not a tone control to be had.
I know that this is the idea, but dagnabbit, I just cannot live without a tonal bias.

Cheers!

Silver Member

MelbourneAustralia

Post Number: 157
Hi Nuck,

I am not sure I fully understand your post.

Why is the Classe DAC/Transport linked to a vinyl cartridge?

But I imagine if you seriously move things forward at some stage you will need to upgrade your Rotel CD player (good though it is). Anyhows you can think about that at a time of your choosing, and I think the pre-loved market will always hold a lot of promising treasure.

Other than that Classe, CA200 is a power amp with a great reputation. Of course you need to listen to it to see if it suits. I noticed that he CP50 pre-amp is marked "pending sale".

Do not worry about tone controls!!!! They just damage the sound, and if you achieve roughly the correct balance in the main structure of your system, I think you will find that the system is robust enough to cope with the tonal vagaries of the vast majority of recordings.

cheers
Rav

Gold Member

Post Number: 3284
Thanks Rav.
I'm gonna have to sit on the tonals for a while.
Some recordings I have are quite awful, and, unreplaceable.
However, I am trying to get my head around digital files and how the medium might factor into a DAC.That would be very good, I think.
See, my technical expertise is, well, considerate regarding the tech I deal with daily. Not so much here, as of yet.

Cheers!

Gold Member

Post Number: 3285
Would such a DAC be effective for playing back computer music, ya think?
I have tried to read the links and such, and have followed the posts on digital here, but it seems as much Greek as Latin.
Ok for computer control systems in their environment, not so much for digital music.

Of course the pc based files would be of the highest quality, as would be the machine.
Does this format interest a platter cart pedal pusher such as yourself?
Or as I muddle along, I will post my progress, or lack of.

Silver Member

MelbourneAustralia

Post Number: 160
Hi Nuck,

I think the DAC will be more than effective for files that are stored in high quality (original PCM) form on a PC.

You just need a good sound card that has a S/PDIF output.

I am no expert, but I think this is certainly possible. I have no experience with, but I am aware of one product that fits the bill.

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Audiophile2496-main.html

This is a sound card from M-Audio, and I believe this would fit the bill.

I find this quite interesting indeed, and have been having thoughts along similar lines, only problem I have too many irons in the fire......

all the very best
Rav

Silver Member

MelbourneAustralia

Post Number: 162
Nuck,

another solution is also the squeezebox, so the data can be spooled wirelessly to the unit. I think (I am not sure though, please check) that the SB2 has a S/PDIF output also.

That way you can need the nasty PC outside of the musical oasis.

cheers
Rav

Silver Member

MelbourneAustralia

Post Number: 163
Just checked on the slim devices web-site.

The SB2 does have a S/PDIF output, so that's awesome!!! This little unit, is a lovely little box of tricks!!

So the SB2 can be used as a DAC or just as a wirless media adaptor, using its digital-out coax connection to feed for example a Classe' DAC!!

cheers
Rav

Silver Member

MelbourneAustralia

Post Number: 165
Typo:

"That way you can LEAVE the nasty PC outside of the musical oasis."

Gold Member

Post Number: 3301
Rav, I have nothing to do today, being in another hotel room in Montreal, I may go out and see about such devices. Unfortunately the good shops are closed today(rats) but such a device should be available elsewhere.
I like the pc idea for OSD and file storage flexibility.
As well, there is an industry standard pc based filter/eq setup that Tim eluded to in yesterdays subwoofer post.
In the best format, this may be a real blast!

Silver Member

MelbourneAustralia

Post Number: 167
Montreal!!! genial!!! quelle belle ville!!!!

Alors, je recommence en anglais...

Great town, but may not be fun if you have no friends with you on the road.

I really like the idea of a PC music server for storing all my CDs. Just for the sheer convenience, esp when you have a nice user interface like the VFD display on the SB2.

Also the Squeezebox is rated to sound very good indeed. And if it is not good enough, there are extensive mods available from Red Wine audio, most notably. They sell a wholly battery powered SB2 using SLA battery cells, and a charger system.

I have heard the SB2 with basic analogue mods, and can tell you I was very impressed by what I heard. But visually the two large Auricaps on the rear panel looked a little incongruous, with the otherwise pretty form of the SB2.

I have not looked into PC based music servers long enough to comment knowledgeably. But I am aware M-audio is a good place to start for sound cards.

I find this area very fascinating.....But I don't like the idea of the PC in the same room as my hifi. So perhaps wifi, or some ethernet cabling throughout the house is the way to go.

Cannot say much, hope that you are not so far away from the centre-ville, hence you can go out somewhere interesting to kill the time.

-all the best
Rav

P.S. I am still working very late on my current work project, I wish these fools would just lay me off.

Silver Member

MelbourneAustralia

Post Number: 168
Hang on!

I just understood your original post.

The Classe' pre-amp has a phono stage, that is why you think it is overkill, because you do not plan on running a vinyl TT!!!

Ha, the cogs in my brain may spin slowly, but this mill grinds very finely!!!

Salut, mon vieux!!!

Gold Member

Post Number: 3307
And, as usual Rav, my post and/or intention was made as clear as a politicians stand. Sorry.
I am now, however, considering the transDAC quite closely.
With digital sourcing,the transport and pcm dvd, this could be a very flexible package, yes?
It would be music dvd in 2 channel only, but I think some players will do this quite well.Opinions? Buhler? Buhler?
That would make the pre-amp a lot easier to justify. I would have tonal control via the files and pc program or straight defeat.
As well, the files could be modified to my tastes and saved that way.

Silver Member

MelbourneAustralia

Post Number: 169
Sounds good to me.

Gotta go, work to do, points to prove yet.

Either I am gonna make a USPS style delivery at work, or these fools are gonna fire me......

I wish I wasn't born on a Thursday sometimes.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3308
Rav, you crack me up.

Merci et Salud, mon ami.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums