Sad Ipod Icon, resets/restores/recharge don't work

Username: Crustybobby64

Greenville, NC

Post Number: 2
I have a 30 gig 5th gen. Ipod on windows XP, and the new version of Itunes.
My ipod was working fine, I put it down to watch a three and half minute music video on my computer, I kid you all not, I picked the damn thing up and it started making a "whirring" noise so loud that I thought it was the fan to my computer, I looked at the screen and the "sad ipod" icon (which is the most insincere and gayest thing I've ever seen).
Following the extensively drab and drawn out reset techniques on apple's support site I did the following :
-connect it to the usb = itunes doesn't detect it, nor does the pod show up as E: drive on my computer, the sad ipod thing came up when I plugged it in.
-the manual reset= flip the hold on/off, hold menu + select, apple shows up, hold select+ play, nothing happened, the sad ipod thing came up.
-the manual restore= flip hold on/off,menu+ play, nothing happened.
-Opened the ipod restore program on my computer, it says to plug in the ipod, i did, it doesn't detect it therefore it can't be restored via the program.
-I let the power drain out, recharged it...and....that damn icon...again.

any ideas, apple says I need to send it in, but I have to pay shipping, which suks, any ideas?

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 3160
They sold so many of these P'sOS, I cant believe they have the nuts to not pay shipping.
If Apple had to pay shipping for each of these suckers, they would lose money!
They suk!

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 8473
The sad face icon is an indicator that your hard drive went bad. You need to send it in.

Silver Member
Username: Ftalife

Post Number: 173
search for a local apple store.

Silver Member

Post Number: 174
If it is still under warranty they will replace the hard drive or give you a new ipod.

Silver Member

Post Number: 175
if you warranty is almost up i'd suggest you get the extended warranty. They are great with customer service.

Silver Member

Post Number: 176
Everything is free while under warranty.

Silver Member

Post Number: 177
got to love the warranty

Silver Member

Post Number: 178
good luck to you.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help