I'm totally lost...

Username: Jimgrky

Post Number: 1
Hi, first off, i am relativly a complete newbie with turntables so please be patient. I just recieved a new Project Debut III turntable (with stock cartridge-Ortofon i think) and have run into trouble. I am getting sound, just not a whole lot of it. Turned all the way up, the sound is still very soft. I don't believe i need a preamp (but maybe i do but i dont even really know how that all works) because it is compatable with my stereo system through the EXT, which works fine with my ipod stereo connecter. I really don't know where to go from here, perhaps it has something to do with the cartridge i really don't know. Please help!!!

Silver Member
Username: Daniel_canada

Canada

Post Number: 112
You need a phono pre-amp. Does you reveiver/amp have a phono input on the back? If not look at a seperate phono pre-amp. A basic but deceent phono-pre amp might set you back a cool hun, but worth it. Turntable require a special preamp That's a nice table (I have read). Find a decent local audio store, they can help you. Don't go to the box store asking help with a turntable!! Really, never buy audio from a box store!

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 113
Most consumer receivers don't come with a phono preamp. The output from the turntable is so weak that your receiver has no real signal to deal with, hence you have to turn it all the way up.

phono = record player = turntable, all the same just different names that seperate the newbies from the pros. :P

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1421
To further on what Dan is saying, TT's need a true phono input. Your dealer should have told you this. The problem isn't the table or cartridge.

A phono pre-amp has special equalising (RIAA), and boosts the signal from the table. The reason why you're not getting any sound (very little actually) is because the signal isn't strong enough. This is normal.

Your TT's RCAs will connect to the phono pre-amp in put, then the output connects into any RCA input on your receiver.

Decent phono pre-amps start at about $120 and can go up to multi-thousand dollad price points. You can get cheaper phono pre-amps, but they're generally garbage and won't do your table justice. For $120, look at Pro-Ject and NAD. They sound a little different from each other, but are equally good. They are very good starting points.

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 129
Alex, here is a link to the NAD phono pre:

http://www.nadelectronics.com/hifi_amplifiers/pp2_framset.htm

Username: M_ike_y

Post Number: 1
i have a question,

i am also new to the whole turntables idea. what is a phono input? is it different from an input slot on the back of a stereo system?

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 3475
Mike, the phono runs a seperate input for a receiver.
A typical input is about 1.8-2.2v for, say, a cd player. The phono input expects a voltage around 200mv.
If a receiver is not made to accept a phono input(it needs a seperate little teeny amplifier in itself), you need to add another little amplifier(preamp) before introducing the signal to the receiver.
Older receivers used to have these all the time.
Any more, not so much.

Gold Member
Username: John_a

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4426
That's right. The signal needs an extra boost.

Before the early 1950s, different companies had different ideas about how to filter the frequencies in recording and playback so as to reduce the noise produced by the stylus tracking along the groove. The recording and playback filters for noise had to cancel out and that was "equalization". RIAA set a standard so anyone's recording could sound OK with anyone's playback. There was always an RIAA filter, plus a low-gain pre-amp, built into the input of an amp or receiver that had a "phono" input. Typically an amp would have a "phono" input, then also "tuner", "tape" and "aux" for auxiliary. the last three were interchangable but the "phono" input was special and you would never connect any of the other sources to that.

BTw "phono" is short "phonograph". The "phono" input was sometimes alternatively called "disc" - that was before the days of CD etc.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3477
What John said.

Gold Member
Username: John_a

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4429
I was just saying what you said, Nuck! And embellishing a bit.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3483
Is this working/helping, Mike/Alex?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us